Howdy -
I just purchased a used 2002 Fury Fireball Electric Barritone guitar. It should be here next week, and I need to decide what kind of amp to use with it.
So, I thought that I would ask here for some ideas to steer me in the right direction. I sure don't want to make a mistake!

Here is a little background info -
I plan to play this guitar mostly with slide, but also with some finger fretting.
The type of music I will be playing will be slow, moody bluesy stuff like -
'Feelin' Bad Blues' - Ry Cooder
Theme from 'Southern Comfort' movie - Ry Cooder
'Look So Good' - David Lindley

Tuning will be A E A D E A (equivalent to open D on a standard guitar, I think)
I have a Keeley Boss TR-2 Mod tremolo pedal & an Ultrasound DS4 acoustic amp now, but I understand that this amp is not a good match for this baritone guitar.
Also, I will be practicing & playing primarily in a home setting.
I assume that I should be looking for a mostly 'clean' amp as opposed to one geared more toward 'distortion'.

So, I'm in the market for another amp and really need some advice from someone knowledgeable about getting a good sound from an electric baritone guitar.

My price range is $300 - $500, for either new or used. I'm considering the following at the moment -

Dean Markley DM60RC - solid state - 12" speaker

Dean Markley CD30 - tube - 12" speaker

I'm open to any other suggestions!

Ron
I think you mean AEAC#EA.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
^^^ The D gives the equivalent of DADGAD, fun if you want to try some Davey Graham/Bert Jansch type fingerpicking, but a bit challenging for slide.

This is OT, but might interest you. My favourite guitar for slide is a 30"OLP bari, but I use 13-56 strings and have it tuned up to open D equivalent to open F on a standard length scale. It absolutely sizzles - very good for atmospheric Cooder-type stuff.

I also use a similar string tension on the lap steel I have been discussing with theogonia. 13-56 strings on a 22 1/2"scale, tuned to open G with open D intervals. Those high string tensions seem to work well with my gear.
13 for a high D on a 22.5"? That's really light. For pedal steel, it's 15, 14, 13 for the high D#, E, and F# on a 24" and for reso it's a 16 for D on a 25.5". I think I have a 14 or 15 for my high E on my 24.5" lap steel and a 12 for my high G.

Or wait, is that GDGBDG?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by nafguy
Howdy -
I just purchased a used 2002 Fury Fireball Electric Barritone guitar. It should be here next week, and I need to decide what kind of amp to use with it.

I plan to play this guitar mostly with slide, but also with some finger fretting.
The type of music I will be playing will be slow, moody bluesy stuff

If I were you, I'd be looking at something like the Carvin AG300 acoustic guitar amp. $529 new. 200W http://www.carvinaudio.com/products/ag300

Yeah, I know your guitar is not an acoustic. The problem with a 30" baritone tuned to A-D-G-C-E-A (a fifth below standard) is that most guitar amps can't reproduce the low E very well as it is. That low A is around 55 Hz, and that's just about an octave below what most guitar speakers produce comfortably.

The Carvin has a bass-oriented 12" speaker utilizing a horn-loaded design for more bass output. In addition, it's got a 6.5" mids driver and a 1" tweeter, and produces a very wide range overall. That 200W of amplification isn't there to produce huge volume, but to make for very clean bottom end and very clean reproduction through out the entire frequency range. Lots of headroom.

While I would normally recommend more of a bass amp anyway for a baritone's range, the mids usually suffer when you put a bass cabinet (say, 2x10) onto one of those.
Last edited by dspellman at Sep 12, 2015,
Hey guys -
Yeah, I think it is AEAC#EA. I copied the other from a website I visited yesterday. I didn't think it was correct when I seen it, but wasn't sure. : )
(I noticed that I also keep misspelling 'baritone'!)

I'll check out the Carvin AG300. That's an interesting idea.

Thanks much.
Last edited by nafguy at Sep 12, 2015,
Quote by theogonia777
13 for a high D on a 22.5"? That's really light. For pedal steel, it's 15, 14, 13 for the high D#, E, and F# on a 24" and for reso it's a 16 for D on a 25.5". I think I have a 14 or 15 for my high E on my 24.5" lap steel and a 12 for my high G.

Or wait, is that GDGBDG?

Yes, it is tuned G to G, the open D intervals you quote, so again about the equivalent of open F on a standard 25.5"scale.

I use 13-56 for open D on most of my acoustics, though the Nat Res Estralita sounds distinctly better in open E - the low tones don't suit it. I wouldn't push a flattop to that tension though. I know that a lot of reso players like something like a 16 for the high D, but for me the tonal problem is in the low notes, not the high ones.
I'd recommend looking at Peavey's steel guitar amps: Nashville, Session, etc. You can get them for under $400 used.
Hey, that's another good idea (which I never even considered!).
I'll add the Peavey steel guitar amps to the 'research list'.

Thanks much for the suggestion.