I am taking a shot here posting drum advice on a guitar forum.

About me, divorced father, primarily an acoustic guitar player and other than hit some drums here and there I don't know squat.

Situation:
My daughter I have been giving guitar lessons and she shows improvement but every time we go into the music store she spends most of the time on the drums, and less time on keyboards and guitar. I am seeing the signs, she has a desire to beat the skins, and I support that. I really do.

Problem:
She primarily lives with her mother, so the mother has to okay it. Today was what I would like to say test the waters, and her mother shot it down fast. So, the question is there alternate options?

What I mean, okay fine, you don't want her to have a drum set in the house or the garage, or the shed. Fine. But other tools that she can use?

Through the years I see stuff here and there whether it's movies or in passing in a music store but never looked closer at it. For instance an electronic box which is technically an electronic drum. Maybe that with headphones. Or a practice pad? Or and this one has a lot of promise or my fall back point is a pair of affordable bongos.

I am going to poke and ask questions here and there, but if any of you know drums or have something to share I am listening.

Thanks.
***************Sig***************
Taylor 314 & GS Mini & Martin LX1
Quote by fingerguy
I am taking a shot here posting drum advice on a guitar forum.

About me, divorced father, primarily an acoustic guitar player and other than hit some drums here and there I don't know squat.

Situation:
My daughter I have been giving guitar lessons and she shows improvement but every time we go into the music store she spends most of the time on the drums, and less time on keyboards and guitar. I am seeing the signs, she has a desire to beat the skins, and I support that. I really do.

Problem:
She primarily lives with her mother, so the mother has to okay it. Today was what I would like to say test the waters, and her mother shot it down fast. So, the question is there alternate options?

What I mean, okay fine, you don't want her to have a drum set in the house or the garage, or the shed. Fine. But other tools that she can use?

Through the years I see stuff here and there whether it's movies or in passing in a music store but never looked closer at it. For instance an electronic box which is technically an electronic drum. Maybe that with headphones. Or a practice pad? Or and this one has a lot of promise or my fall back point is a pair of affordable bongos.

I am going to poke and ask questions here and there, but if any of you know drums or have something to share I am listening.

Thanks.

Tell her mother that you can buy these things called silencer pads. They're supposed to mute about 80% of the noise, so they're a must for beginners.

I am a metal guitarist myself, but my bro wants drums, so I've done a ton of research into it. I actually posted a question about my situation in this forum. It gave me a pretty good starting point, you might want to check that out (it's called Drums for 13-year-old?).

95% of the stuff I've read actually says that it's best to start on an acoustic kit. Also the kit you should get really depends both on what style she likes and what you two would play together. For example, my brother, who likes metal/hard rock, will probably end up with a different kit than, say, an EDM or jazz lover.

Hope this helped some, and good luck.
Last edited by toateridax2010 at Sep 13, 2015,
I'd go with an electric kit over silencing pads. It'll give her a chance to play with lots of different sounds and even the rubber pads have better rebound than silenced cymbals and drums. Plus, she can record herself with one cable into the computer and it gives her a built in metronome to help her keep time. Most also have little songs built in that she can use to practice to.

They're not completely silent, no, but through a wall, they'll sound like she's just tapping on a desk. Only issue may be is if she's on a second floor - the kick pedal will still have some boom through the ceiling.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I'd definitely look at electronic drumsets. Here's the issue, though. The $500 and under e-drums will get you rolling, but a good set of electronic drums will run well over double that. The good news is that they take up a lot less room than a real set and can usually be folded up. They're not uber-portable, but they go places a lot easier than a real drum set. Beyond that, there are a lot of choices (full-on arena set? No problem) in what she'll hear over the headphones.

In a band, an electronic drum set eliminates all the hassle of drum stage volume getting into the vocal mikes. Major plus.