Do I lose the strat sound if I change it's stock pickups?
The guitar is a Fender Stratocaster FSR HSS MIM from Guitarcenter.
For example, If I change the stock humbucker to a Dimarzio X2n. Will it still have
The strat sound but with higher output or will it completely lose the strat sound?
I've found that to a certain extent Strats always have certain different distinctive characteristics about there sound that can't be covered up. The X2N has a ridiculous amount of output and may just be the pickup to prove me wrong, however. I don't think it sounds particularly great for anything except death metal, but if you want that sound it will probably nail it.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Single coils twang is what makes the strat sound like a strat.

I'll go ahead and change the humbucker but leave the single coils alone.
an X2N will certainly sound way different than a stock humbucker in a MIM. fender humbuckers still tend to be designed with clean playing to light distortion in mind.
It's debatable if a humbucker already has the strat sound- the single coils are normally considered to provide the strat sound. If you don't swap them out (or only swap them for other stratty-sounding single coils) then you shouldn't really be any worse off than you currently are.

That being said, the X2N (I haven't tried it) is a crazy high output humbucker, I'm guessing it's a bit of a niche product, so unless you're sure that's what you want and need, I'd err on the side of caution regarding it.

Why are you looking at the X2N in the first place? There are perfectly valid reasons for wanting a high output pickup, and if your reasons are valid I apologise if this sounds a bit condescending (it's not meant to be, I'm just trying to get to the bottom of what you want so I can help), but a lot of newer players think that if they want a decent distortion sound that they have to buy the absolute highest output pickup they can find, and that's not true at all. Normally (not always) the amp is the problem when people start thinking like that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^i think that the design of the bridge contributes a bit to the twang, though that's purely from my own pondering. I remember my MIM when I switched the stock bridge single coil to a dimarzio tone zone it still twanged quite a bit, even though that's a reasonable high output humbuggie.

Of course it's a minor thing. Just my experience.
Quote by dementiacaptain
^i think that the design of the bridge contributes a bit to the twang, though that's purely from my own pondering. I remember my MIM when I switched the stock bridge single coil to a dimarzio tone zone it still twanged quite a bit, even though that's a reasonable high output humbuggie.

now way you're gonna get twang out of an X2N. if you want to keep your strat sounding "stratty" then you may want to go a different route. once you put a metal orientated pickup in then you will lose some of the strat tone. no quack in 2 position for sure.
Quote by monwobobbo
now way you're gonna get twang out of an X2N. if you want to keep your strat sounding "stratty" then you may want to go a different route. once you put a metal orientated pickup in then you will lose some of the strat tone. no quack in 2 position for sure.

Yeah, see my first post about it. The X2N is possibly the most obnoxious pickup ever, I don't think that a guitar with one in it sounds like much of anything other than fizz.

Of course, I have heard some awesome, non-fizzy tones with X2Ns, but they are the exception, not the rule.
i am convinced that pretty much whatever you stick an X2N in, it is going to just sound terrible.

i bought one, it went first into a superstrat, hated it. stuck it into a washburn idol, terrible. stuck it in a fender showmaster, terrible.

i don't even know how i got rid of it. all it is is output, fizz, and sterile lifelessness. if thats what you want, stick a X2N in there.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by dementiacaptain

yeah i think the bridge probably does affect the tone a bit, as you said- it'll still probably sound a little stratty/twangy even with a humbucker in there, but it won't sound anywhere near as stratty as a strat-style single coil will.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Regarding some of the posts above, if you think that anything but the electronics of a strat contribute to the stereotypical "quack" I'd REALLY like you to share what you've been smoking...

If you put a humbucker in a strat and heard quack, you were WAY too high.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I'm pretty sure you can experiment a little and there are various options by various companies that will allow you to get a slightly different tone while retaining the "Strat sound" (which is probably a fairly subjective thing in itself), but the bigger the change in the character and output of the pickups, the less "Strat-like" in any meaning of the term it will be. So a different set of single coils or a low-output humbucker of some kind will still be more or less at home...

...but if you put something like a X2N in there it will sound COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY different.

Reminds me of the point on my "to do" list to get a Hello Kitty Strat and put a SD Nazgul in there. Then tune it to drop B or so.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
There's no point in trying to convince a moron.
Quote by Arby911
Regarding some of the posts above, if you think that anything but the electronics of a strat contribute to the stereotypical "quack" I'd REALLY like you to share what you've been smoking...

Yeah absolutely. It's the pickups which make up the vast majority of the difference. I just meant that it might still have a teensy bit of a strat edge/brightness/twang to things (not quack, that's the in-between setting on the strat pickups exclusively, as you implied) which might be (partly) down to the bridge.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Arby911

Not quack, really, but twang sure. A little "bounce" as I like to think of it. I've put Tone Zones in LOTS of guitars, and my Strats consistently have that bit of twangy sound that I don't get with the others.

I still played blistering metal leads with that guitar, so that bit of twang is obviously not very obvious

It was just a conversation point, nothing of real consequence.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Not quack, really, but twang sure. A little "bounce" as I like to think of it. I've put Tone Zones in LOTS of guitars, and my Strats consistently have that bit of twangy sound that I don't get with the others.

I still played blistering metal leads with that guitar, so that bit of twang is obviously not very obvious

It was just a conversation point, nothing of real consequence.

Where's it come from?
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Where's it come from?

Beats me man I'm just reporting what I hear. Not meaning to get all TGPish here, but when I played that guitar I could here it still, even with the bucker. My guess was something to do with the design of the bridge or something like that, but I'm not going to pretend like I know. I definitely know better than to try and bullshit with you, I've seen what happens to those that do

I can't ever tell on a recording, as I have done some with that guitar (which is no longer with me) and I couldn't really pick the Strat out from my other guitars with the TZ in them. When I played it though, I always heard a bit more twang from that guitar than say, my LTD offset V. Maybe it was down to the way I played the Strat vs. the others, I'd be interested to know if others have had my same experience.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Beats me man I'm just reporting what I hear. Not meaning to get all TGPish here, but when I played that guitar I could here it still, even with the bucker. My guess was something to do with the design of the bridge or something like that, but I'm not going to pretend like I know. I definitely know better than to try and bullshit with you, I've seen what happens to those that do

I can't ever tell on a recording, as I have done some with that guitar (which is no longer with me) and I couldn't really pick the Strat out from my other guitars with the TZ in them. When I played it though, I always heard a bit more twang from that guitar than say, my LTD offset V. Maybe it was down to the way I played the Strat vs. the others, I'd be interested to know if others have had my same experience.

I'm not going to go so far as to say it's impossible, I just can't find any rational reason why it would happen. That doesn't mean there isn't one, just that I can't see it.

Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
I'm not going to go so far as to say it's impossible, I just can't find any rational reason why it would happen. That doesn't mean there isn't one, just that I can't see it.

I figured you were looking for an intellectual conversation, I'm just too ill-equipped for such a thing
Quote by dementiacaptain

I figured you were looking for an intellectual conversation, I'm just too ill-equipped for such a thing

You choose not to argue on the internet, that's a level of intellect I've not yet acquired...
Charles Darwin
Quote by TheLiberation

Reminds me of the point on my "to do" list to get a Hello Kitty Strat and put a SD Nazgul in there. Then tune it to drop B or so.

LOL
The guy that inspired me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDobyxWwwFg
Not sure what pickup that is, but it might be an EMG. I don't think I've ever heard anything as absurdly aggressive as the Nazgul, though.

(I can't remember where I found that video, I think someone posted that here.)
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
There's no point in trying to convince a moron.