Hi guys, so I have a peavey 6505+ 112. I love the sound but I have trouble with it staying reliable since I'm taking it to gigs at least twice a week any more. So instead I'm looking around at some solid state amps and I just wanted to ask if anyone has any good suggestions.
So other than just liking a particular amp I do look for a couple things in it. I like at least two separate channels that are footswitchable for one. The first channel I keep on cleans and I usually try to get my cleans fairly close to a simple acoustic sound. The second channel I use for distortion/leads. I like to use (what I believe at least) to be a fairly 80s metal type sound. (On my peavey I set my bass around number 8, mids about 2-3, and treble around 6-7. And I set the gain to around 7-8). I also use a third channel on my peavey which I set at just an overdrive type sound. I use the clean channel with the drive around 3-4 for that.
I'd prefer to find a head and can instead of a combo so I can just switch the cab out at home for my small tube head, but I'm pretty open.
The amps I am considering at the moment are the Orange crush 120 head, and the quilter micropro Mach 2 head. Although I am not sure how distorted I can get the quilter.
I have listened to the Randall rg series and a couple older peavey solid states, but the peaveys don't sound wonderful and I don't like the buzz saw distortion of the Randall. Besides that it sounds staticky to me.
Anyway, anyone who actually read all that thanks for putting up with me haha, and thanks for any suggestions you may have
How is your 6505+ not reliable? They are work horses and last for like, ever.

Also, your mids are super low. You need that especially live or you'll get lost. Even mic'd.

Less gain is more. Try bringing the mids up, gain way down, maybe an OD up front. YOu should be totally fine with just that. And a speaker swap as most will tell you.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
I have had trouble with it every single time I've taken it to a gig. I can only assume its because it's tube and if the roads around here aren't some of the worst in the country I'll eat my hat.

I don't use any pedals. None. Just the amp. And I also don't use any effects. not even the built in reverb. So I'd rather not put an od through whatever amp I use. I want to just use the amp. And a footswitch of course.
As for why I run my mids so low, it's because if I turn them up it makes the gain sound tinny to me. And I lose the "oomph" behind my palm muting. I essentially never run much mid.
what kind of issues are you having exactly? Quilter won't give you that kind of distortion so not sure why you would think about it. perhaps learning to transport your current amp would save you some cash. as mentioned Peavey's tend to be very solid amps. mine have never died on me.
Yeah. Like I said, I like the quilters sound but I don't think I can get the distortion I want from it

I actually put the issues with my peavey in another thread a couple days ago. Essentially the problem is that is just won't work. All the lights come on, all the tubes light up, all the tubes heat up. I took it to a gig Friday night and it wouldn't work so I set all the tubes and checked the speaker connections and fuses. Everything seemed fine to me. So I just ran through our pa and took it home and turned it on the next morning and it worked. Just out of the blue it just worked. And it works now. I just played it. I don't know what the problem is. I've tried transporting it several different ways, but it still messed up every single time. So I've decided to just look into a new amp. A lighter head and cab is more versatile anyway
Have you tried simply cleaning the tube sockets on the 6505?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The 6505 112 is one of the few amps I've played where the only way I could get it to sound good was to scoop the mids, so I feel you there.

Like Katsock said, the 6505 circuit is pretty bulletproof. I'm surprised you're having issues. My best guess is you have a crappy solder joint somewhere and it gets undone when you move it. Or maybe your tube sockets are loose and your tubes are coming unseated. Depending on your confidence in wiring you might be able to fix it yourself or take it to a shop and get it fixed for less than the cost of a new amp.

The Crush 120 is surprisingly good for what it is. Also you may want to look into Randall Century amps for solid state high gain if you do get a new amp.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
The 6505 112 is one of the few amps I've played where the only way I could get it to sound good was to scoop the mids, so I feel you there.

Like Katsock said, the 6505 circuit is pretty bulletproof. I'm surprised you're having issues. My best guess is you have a crappy solder joint somewhere and it gets undone when you move it. Or maybe your tube sockets are loose and your tubes are coming unseated. Depending on your confidence in wiring you might be able to fix it yourself or take it to a shop and get it fixed for less than the cost of a new amp.

The Crush 120 is surprisingly good for what it is. Also you may want to look into Randall Century amps for solid state high gain if you do get a new amp.

I would have to guess you have an actual problem and not a reliability issue. Remember that stage volume does not translate well from home volumes. And if you are standing directly in front of the amp you're gonna hear a lot of highs hitting you in the ear. If you mic it with that problem, experiment with mic placement.

The speaker is another factor. Don't be so quick to write off pedals, they can really add a lot to your tone. Pushing those preamp tubes into nice saturation.

Now I also found the Crush to be a solid sounding SS amp. I don't think it competes with the Peavey.

Now, you might just not like the sound of your amp anymore, or never really did.

Grab a used JCA 100 and a cab and you're set if you need a different amp.

Also, I had a VERY similar problem with an amp i had before, turns out it was the Output Transformer.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
I did clean the tubes and sockets and I've tried resetting them several times. That isn't the problem. I think the problem is somewhere in the board or something actually. I have checked everything else multiple times

I like the sound of the amp, but I am not particularly attached to it. I have decided to get a new amp because I feel like a head and can combo will be more versatile for me and a solid state amp will hold up better. Either way it's good to know that the cr120 is considered fairly good

As far as pedals go, I don't stay away from them because I don't like how they sound. I use them at home fairly often. But I like to keep the stage as clean and clutter free as possible. And as long as the lead channel is good enough for live shows I'm good with it.

Lastly I typically run my amps volume at about number 4. And I play at home with it on about 3. I think those volumes translate fairly well between the two places honestly. But yes I think there is an actual problem somewhere. As to what it is I haven't got a clue. I think I'm going to have to take it to someone.
Quote by Lgarretto
Either way it's good to know that the cr120 is considered fairly good

By who? I wouldn't use one as a doorstop - and it is certainly no replacement for a 6505.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
By who? I wouldn't use one as a doorstop - and it is certainly no replacement for a 6505.

I found the Crush to be perfectly suitable at home. I wouldn't use it on tour, but for a random bar show or as an emergency back up, i could make it work. I keep my H&K for that exact reason, but I could get away with using that at every show if I wanted to.

I also run my own sound often and have a whole mixingboard/monitor mix on stage with us, who knows if thats a factor.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Perhaps I'm just fussier about my tone? Sure they're better than say, an MG, but compared to a 6505+? No, just no.

TS: If it wasn't tube sockets, I'd be looking for solder breaks, esp on the pots. You have an intermittent fault that changes with movement. Tube sockets are the most likely culprit for that but any marginal joint can do it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Perhaps I'm just fussier about my tone? Sure they're better than say, an MG, but compared to a 6505+? No, just no.

TS: If it wasn't tube sockets, I'd be looking for solder breaks, esp on the pots. You have an intermittent fault that changes with movement. Tube sockets are the most likely culprit for that but any marginal joint can do it.

Oh by no means is it better or even comparable haha. But definitely doable at home.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
I had a smaller version of the crush (the 30 watt version) and I liked it pretty well. it sounded very good.
Either way, whether I get the 6505 fixed or not, at this point I do not trust it. It's messed up on me too many times.
As for an amp reccommendation, I am open to a tube amp. I would get a tube anyway if it weren't for my questioning its reliability. But either way I'll get a head. But I'm open to any suggestions. However if someone suggests a tube head of really need a good way to transfer it. I honestly think that's the cause of my problems. I mean, guys when I say bad roads, I mean bad. As in a dirt road would be smoother. And I live on gravel. And Oklahoma City roads are essentially tiny nuclear war grounds.
P.s. Just to clarify my thoughts on the transistor amps, no they are not as good as tube. Nor are they comparable. But I've heard some that sound pretty fair in their own right. And I've also heard that, in general, they are a little more durable. That's why I am considering transistor instead of tube.
If you can identify the fault and repair it, it will be as reliable as any other amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Well, I honestly don't have the experience to know. It may be just as reliable. But I would bet my Gibson that whatever is messed up was caused by moving the amp around.
But either way, I am going to get rid of that peavey and get something else. So if anyone has a suggestion for a head if appreciate it.
Thanks either way
It could also be one of the ribbon cables too. Try reseating them.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Start simple by resoldering the tube socket pin joints, the ones on the pcb.

All soldering joints closest to heat source, mainly power tubes should be checked first.

You might get lucky.
Quote by Cathbard
It could also be one of the ribbon cables too. Try reseating them.

Or just buy new ones and replace 'em. In almost every case where there was an issue with my amps, a connector or the strain relief on a connector has been at fault. When I bought my beaten-up Belair, it was producing nothing louder than barely bedroom volume. Replaced the ribbon cable that ran to the FX loop and we were on the road to recovery.
Okay. I will try that. Where do I find them? Just to make sure.
I know how to seat and check tubes and the speaker and fuses, but I am by no means an electrician