i won't be able to get one for a while but sometimes having something in mind makes the saving better. i have a lot of money tied up at the moment, and not a lot free. i am thinking december.

i want to keep it at $1200. used. tampa, FL.

i have a lot of big high gain amps, and i am looking for something to get a tone i don't have.

here is a quick list of what i have:

fryette SIG:X
mesa MKIV
mesa tremoverb
orange dual terror
orange rockerverb
splawn nitro
splawn pro-mod
and quite a few mid/low gainers.

i am leaning towards:

-Soldano Hot Rod or Avenger (probably the favorite at the moment)
-Mesa Royal Atlantic
-Fryette Pittbull UL/CL

what do you think? i have limited experience with all three, none with the pittbulls. its not practical for me to run around to try one out when my only decent local stores are GC and Sam Ash, and that the are shitty. if it is off of reverb or ebay, i have no problem buying sight unseen.

my tastes are wide enough for tone, i would be happy with any i am a gear wh0re.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Ippon
Based on what you already have, the Soldano HotRod 100 Plus!

that is kind of what i was thinking.

the only thing that makes me think differently is that i don't own anything marshall based. the RA's sound REALLY nice in videos.

ugh. now i have to be patient and stop buying pedals. (i picked up something really cool five mintutes ago on reverb ) .
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
shit sniped something else off of reverb its pretty badass though, will have a NGD up when it gets here.

_________

back on topic, what are the differences on the hot rod, avenger, hot rod plus, and hot rod avenger/etc?

i saw one that didn't have an effects loop, and that is a deal-breaker on this purchase. what models do and don't? i am fine with single channel.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I'd lean towards the RA out of that first trio. Have you seen the reissued Supros?

Thinking further outside the box: you could look at some of the bass amps like those favored by Josh Homme, or perhaps one of those pedal steel guitar amps if you like to play in any low tunings.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I'd lean towards the RA out of that first trio. Have you seen the reissued Supros?

Thinking further outside the box: you could look at some of the bass amps like those favored by Josh Homme, or perhaps one of those pedal steel guitar amps if you like to play in any low tunings.

i am actually planning to build a supro clone one of these days, i don't know if the the new supros are different though. i will look.

i am not really a down tuned kind of guy i have 2 of 23 guitars drop-tuned, both in C#std.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
You know what I think that you need.

Great SLO modules, Supro ones too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Used H&K Tri-Amp. If you don't like it you can donate it to me. lol.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
So here is my .311 cents.

Not trying to sway you one way or the other either. Would love to have your collection of amps. I would also love to own any of the 3 amps you mention. When I first saw your thread I was like, oh boy there's Derek again with another What Amp thread but you know what...this place is so dead, who cares?

I really enjoyed the Soldano Hot Rod Avenger 50 I played. By far my pick of the 3. You owe it to yourself to own one. Then go from there. For the money - it is a no brainer compared to a SLO cost wise. Easy to resell. Great for any collection. Will mostly take care of your Marshall gas.

As much as I like Mesa and Royal Atlantic it would be my least favorite choice of the three. It is a great choice for someone looking for Mesa's take on the British tone and it will be their only amp - or someone who buys nothing but Mesa and wants something different. You already have a Mark and Tremoverb so the R/A doesn't make sense to me.

I had a Pittbull UL in my possession for about a month. Although a very ballin' amp and super articulate (maybe more than a Splawn and maybe to a fault) I don't know if I'd plop down the money for one - especially considering you have a Sig X.

Now, if you are after more of a Marshall tone then you really need to just get a Marshall. It is pretty much that simple. I think a used DSL100 or Vintage Modern or JCM 800 would be righteous. Then again, you could always get a Splawn Quick Rod and be done with all of that
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 16, 2015,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
So here is my .311 cents.

Not trying to sway you one way or the other either. Would love to have your collection of amps. I would also love to own any of the 3 amps you mention. When I first saw your thread I was like, oh boy there's Derek again with another What Amp thread but you know what...this place is so dead, who cares?

I really enjoyed the Soldano Hot Rod Avenger 50 I played. By far my pick of the 3. You owe it to yourself to own one. Then go from there. For the money - it is a no brainer compared to a SLO cost wise. Easy to resell. Great for any collection. Will mostly take care of your Marshall gas.

As much as I like Mesa and Royal Atlantic it would be my least favorite choice of the three. It is a great choice for someone looking for Mesa's take on the British tone and it will be their only amp - or someone who buys nothing but Mesa and wants something different. You already have a Mark and Tremoverb so the R/A doesn't make sense to me.

I had a Pittbull UL in my possession for about a month. Although a very ballin' amp and super articulate (maybe more than a Splawn and maybe to a fault) I don't know if I'd plop down the money for one - especially considering you have a Sig X.

Now, if you are after more of a Marshall tone then you really need to just get a Marshall. It is pretty much that simple. I think a used DSL100 or Vintage Modern or JCM 800 would be righteous. Then again, you could always get a Splawn Quick Rod and be done with all of that

some good advice here.

i was looking into a vintage modern, but i have vintage marshall covered very well (JTM45, 1974x), DSL's are nice, and i have plugged into one many times, but for a few extra bucks, i can get a splawn QR. i don't know however if another splawn would be too similar to the pro-mod.

i haven't really thought of a JCM800, because IMO splawn does better than any marshall i have played (i have played quite a few JCM800's, one JCM900DR, and one JCM900SL/X) and wasn't overly keen on them over a splawn. i truely think that scott splawn has eternally out ran marshall in everything he has done. for ****s sake, he modded marshalls before coming up with his revised version years later. he knew what he was doing.

i don't remember ever trying a vintage modern though, what are your thoughts?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
My Splawn is the best decision I ever made. It's gloriously thick with a lower midrange growl I haven't been able to find anywhere else. It can cover all the bases except pristine clean, and even that i can make happen with some nice single coils. Takes pedals great, including the clean channel (was very Dr Z like in how it responded to dirt pedals. Really handled them well and brought out a lot of the amps natural bite).

I would take it over a mesa or an orange any day, in fact I did!

Personally a lot of the Mesa's never did it for me, especially their low/mid gainers. I found them all too "boomy" at all volumes, to much low end and not in a good way. maybe I hit some lemons, but to me they just didn't get the job done. Not like a Marshall can hit the low/mid gain tones. But then again they aren't entirely similar amps
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
That's quite a list of amps you have there. #jealous

At least when considering your Mesas, I do think a Royal Atlantic would provide an alternative sound -- they fall somewhere between the Rec and Mark series -- and in my opinion, sound better than both. If there was such a thing as one amp that would make me happy forever and cover everything I need -- the RA would be one of the top 3 for sure. I would strongly recommend trying one.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood