Some cool guitar tones on that album. Pretty sure the whole album is made from samples

but anyway, try bridge or middle pup with a fair bit of mids and treble from the amp. gain and presence around half, bass kept low. This is a blind, blind guess as I've never played a DSL
Sounds like light/medium gain and a ton of treble. A strat should be able to get that thin kinda sound. Try turning your volume all the way up, treble super high, bridge or middle pickup, if into a big chord. Should be pretty close.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by 7thString
Some cool guitar tones on that album. Pretty sure the whole album is made from samples

but anyway, try bridge or middle pup with a fair bit of mids and treble from the amp. gain and presence around half, bass kept low. This is a blind, blind guess as I've never played a DSL

Would you mind giving a quick explanation of what "presence" is? I've read some articles but am still unsure. I see it on the amps in Amplitube all the time and I usually just turn it almost all the way down.

Thanks.
^ the name varies between different amps (e.g. it's called simply "Tone" on my amp, I think it can also be labelled differently), but generally it's a knob separate from the usual bass/mid/treble EQ which quite significantly affects how trebly the tone is. It works very much like the guitar's tone knob usually, making the sound more muffled at low settings and bright and sharp when turned up.

Although indeed, from what I see on the internets, your amp doesn't have anything like that. o:
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
There's no point in trying to convince a moron.
Yeah, this amp makes me anxious. I'm anyways keeping the gain low and whenever I'm turning it up, i feel like at any moment I'm going to end up getting the buzzing, metal distortion in my tone. Any idea what kinda amp can achieve this down-to-earth tone from this album? (see "Starshine" from same album)
Yeah, fairly trebly like everyone is saying. Sorry I assumed the DSL's had a presence pot, guess not. But either way, never met a Marshall that couldn't do the bright, light gain thing like your describing. Your amp is fine, stick at it dude
Quote by bbzswa777
Would you mind giving a quick explanation of what "presence" is? I've read some articles but am still unsure. I see it on the amps in Amplitube all the time and I usually just turn it almost all the way down.

Presence knobs originally controlled the amount of negative feedback going to the power tubes. Reducing it to zero adds some treble bite, some early breakup on clean channels. Later "presence" knobs were just a part of the tone stack and simply added a bit of upper end treble without affecting anything else. It's possible to have both kinds of presence knob on a single amp.
Uh...you might have to swap out your guitar for a keyboard in order to get to a lot of what's happening on a Gorillaz song. Fact is, you can duplicate everything there on a Korg Kronos.

Quote by dspellman
Uh...you might have to swap out your guitar for a keyboard in order to get to a lot of what's happening on a Gorillaz song. Fact is, you can duplicate everything there on a Korg Kronos.

Except you know the two songs that were posted have a lot of very-obviously-a-real-guitar parts.