I want some inlay stickers that are actual stickers that stay on your guitar, and are easy to peel off and don't leave anything behind. The ones I've seen are more like tattoos, and they won't come off. Also if they do custom that would be a bonus, but not necessary.
Really! Isn't the clue in the name? Inlay.

They are cut in, or inlaid, into the face of the fret board.

You knew that really didn't you.

You can put stickers on your fretboard. But I doubt they would stay there long if they were anywhere where you play. And when they come off they will leave a horrible sticky residue on the fretboard and strings which will be a swine to get off. But knock yourself out.
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.
Last edited by John Sims at Sep 15, 2015,
Quote by John Sims
Really! Isn't the clue in the name? Inlay.

They are cut in, or inlaid, into the face of the fret board.

You knew that really didn't you.

You can put stickers on your fretboard. But I doubt they would stay there long if they were anywhere where you play. And when they come off they will leave a horrible sticky residue on the fretboard and strings which will be a swine to get off. But knock yourself out.

Why the animosity? I haven't done anything wrong. And what I ask isn't impossible.
Never mind the hostile people, you never know what they're on.

I've never heard of guitar 'tattoos.' But inlay stickers are meant to go over the fretboard inlays if you want some other design aside from white dots. Or are you talking about stickers for the body of the guitar? In any event, there are guys who do inlay stickers on ebay in variety of designs. And if it's for the guitar, then any old sticker works.
Quote by dthmtl3
Never mind the hostile people, you never know what they're on.

I've never heard of guitar 'tattoos.' But inlay stickers are meant to go over the fretboard inlays if you want some other design aside from white dots. Or are you talking about stickers for the body of the guitar? In any event, there are guys who do inlay stickers on ebay in variety of designs. And if it's for the guitar, then any old sticker works.

He means the available inlay stickers currently are all transfers, not actual stickers that can be peeled off.

He just wants regular stickers, you know, like those automotive stickers that are plastic and won't come off easily, but I think getting them thin enough to be not noticeable by the finger is a challenge.
Quote by sfx
...He means the available inlay stickers currently are all transfers, not actual stickers that can be peeled off.....

I stand corrected. Although it does look like a lot of the eBay offerings are indeed stickers.

I'm not sure which surprises me most, the fact that people actually sell them or that people would consider them a good idea in the first place.

I am of an age where people being ripped off annoys me and this seems like a dose of snake oil to me.

I accept that the main contact with the neck is between string and fret. On my old Strat the lacquer has come off some of the markers but I'm not really aware of the slight depression that is left. However if you look at the way the lacquer gets worn away on old nitro finished guitars there is obviously some contact with the fretboard. If you also consider you can feel the difference between a maple and a rosewood neck when playing, there must be some contact.

I use very light strings, and bend a lot, so the thought of putting stickers on my fretboard appals me.

But each to his own. If it makes you happy, you go for it.
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.
They do indeed make these stickers. I briefly owned an Epi Dot with PRS bird stickers on the fretboard (ironically, I traded it for a PRS). I thought them rather cheesy and outright silly looking, but they didn't appear to be going anywhere for the brief time I had it and the new owner recently posted the Dot on Craigslist with the stickers still on it.

I've actually seen them quite a bit lately, like Gibson decals on an Agile. No one's fooling anyone with them though, and I love the PRS birds but they look awkward and silly on anything but a PRS, same with the Gibson decals on an Agile. They do work fine though.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I've had these on for probably just about 4 years now and they show no sign of coming off on their own. I haven't tried to peel them off so I'm not sure if they leave any residue, but they are just decals so a damp cloth should remove anything if there was. They are pretty cheap on eBay.