Hi guys.

I have a Mooer Hustle Drive, which as you may know is an OCD clone. This is my main drive, but I notice I miss some grit for solos.

Soul Food is awesome or so I've heard, and I played a Mooer Green Mile in front of the Hustle and it worked great. But as for the Soul Food; WILL IT CUT ?
What are you wanting the pedal to achieve? If you want grit then most TS pedals should do. I am a fan of the soul food pedal and I use it for grit rather than a boost. Also depends on what amp you are playing through. I found that it responded really well to my old Vox Ac15 that I used to have.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
What amp?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If you like a straight boost, the Duncan Pickup Booster provides 25dB of clean gain. It can also make single coils sound more like humbuckers.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
I would think an OCD clone would have more gain than the typical ts or Soul Food. I think I'd go for a ts type pedal, I'd suggest a used Digitech Hardwire series CM2, they go for $30-$40 used and its a solid od pedal that gets along well with other pedals (for stacking).
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
^ yeah my cheapo joyo ocd clone has a bit more than a ts. I'd have said the soul food was much of a muchness in terms of amount of dirt compared to an OCD but I never bothered to try them head to head, that's just the feeling I get.

As cath said, what amp? and what type of tones are you trying to get?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah my cheapo joyo ocd clone has a bit more than a ts. I'd have said the soul food was much of a muchness in terms of amount of dirt compared to an OCD but I never bothered to try them head to head, that's just the feeling I get.

As cath said, what amp? and what type of tones are you trying to get?

I'm using a Bugera V22. Often live, and in rehearsal rooms I play over a Twin Reverb though. But the tones I try to get are like his @1.51; https://youtu.be/OrQJjT66KUI?t=1m51s and John Mayer type tones. I play a lot of neo soulish kind of music, and I'm looking for a nice full tone on the edge of break up but with enough hair too solo with. Preferably something which responds well with the volume knob.

And then also full on rock tones, and using a boost to just make playing a breeze, really.
Last edited by Jyuuga at Sep 16, 2015,
Thanks.

Yeah that's not a super-saturated tone- I'd probably err on the side of one of the less middy/less tubescreamery type overdrives for that type of tone. I think the soul food would probably do it. Then again the hustle drive (unless it's pretty dark like the joyo clone) should get into the ballpark too.

It sounds like he has a fair bit of reverb on there too (just in case you didn't notice; you probably did ).

For the full-on rock tones I'm not sure I'd want a soul food, though- it's a bit like the ocd in that respect (I'm going by my joyo; i haven't tried the real thing nor your mooer version), it has a fair bit more gain than most ods but still doesn't really sound like a distortion pedal to my ears.

if you want a boost to make playing a breeze, though, conversely something in the tubescreamer or boss sd1 camp is probably the thing- the added mids, tightened bass and compression are what make playing feel effortless.

I realise that's not a ton of help, what I've basically told you is "what you really want are 3 pedals"

Something which can sort of do both might be worth considering- off the top of my head, the digitech/hardwire CM2 tube overdrive or the nobels odr1 might be worth a try. They can both sort-of do the tubescreamer thing (the cm2 possibly a bit better than the nobels) and can also sort of both do the flatter mids thing (the nobels possibly a bit better than the cm2). That might actually be a plan to save you from having to buy two pedals. though for the full-on rock stuff, unless boosting your hustle drive does it, you still might want another pedal to absolutely nail it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the CM-2 is a great TS style pedal with a better EQ. it also has a switch which will up the gain which might help when using a twin. however you might want to look for an overdrive that has a built in clean boost. i use a T-Rex Crunchy Frog for this. the overdrive is very much in the TS style while the boost function works seperately or with the overdrive which makes for a very versatile pedal. the boost bypasses the tone control so it doesn't really mess with your amps tone when used but wil add some hair for leads. when used with the overdrive it adds some hair and volume (the boost is adjustable). the Crunchy Frog also sports a blend knob to adjust how much how much straight signal is used and how much affected (overdriven) is added. again a nice feature
i would look hard and long into a zendrive. they aren't as cheap though, but they are worth it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i would look hard and long into a zendrive. they aren't as cheap though, but they are worth it.

Thanks!

I still don't know which pedal I should get. The options are too numerous. I guess I'll reserve myself a day to get to all the overdrive pedals and see what works best. Good to know the potential hits guys
yeah if you can try a bunch, that's the thing. bear in mind you really want to be trying them into a similar amp to yours to really see how they'll sound for you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?