Hi everyone.
A few months ago I bought an Epiphone Les Paul tribute plus. Until recently, it held tune perfectly and I had no issues. All of a sudden the strings would literally go out of tune quite badly with every bend so I took it to a luthier. He made the nuts slots less deep and also applied lubricant which definitely helped but the problem hasn't been fixed. I've got grover locking tuners, and the strings don't seem to be binding with the nut. What could be the problem?

Thanks,
Jack.
If the strings on the guitar haven't been stretched in, then that'll be why.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
If the strings on the guitar haven't been stretched in, then that'll be why.

Definitely stretched. I've spent probably a total of an hour in the past week trying to stretch them in case that's it. I've ruled that out now.
Are you taking the guitar to different environments of varying temperature and humidity? That can cause tuning issues. Also check that the nuts and screws that mount the tuners to the headstock are snug.

If you're asserting that the nut is fine, the strings are fine, and obviously the tuners are fine, then the answer is aliens. I doubt the bridge is causing the problem too.

There just isn't much else to cause a guitar to go out of tune that you haven't already mentioned.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Are you taking the guitar to different environments of varying temperature and humidity? That can cause tuning issues. Also check that the nuts and screws that mount the tuners to the headstock are snug.

If you're asserting that the nut is fine, the strings are fine, and obviously the tuners are fine, then the answer is aliens. I doubt the bridge is causing the problem too.

There just isn't much else to cause a guitar to go out of tune that you haven't already mentioned.

Nope. Stays in the same room almost all of the time. Luthier tried tightening the tuners and also adjusted the truss rodd. He lubed the bridge and everything. This is gonna drive me crazy if I can never fix it. One day it was perfect and the next it's doing this!
If it's still got the stock nut, replace it.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
Quote by Stillhouse
If it's still got the stock nut, replace it.

I'm pretty sure it's got a bone nut now. It's a long story but the luthier I went to told me he thinks the last luthier I went to and messed up the plastic nut and replaced it with a bone one. Not like i can complain. Is it possible the bone nut is just cut incorrectly and maybe I should just try get it recut?
It is very possible thAt the nut was cut badly. I have had the same guitar for about three years now and I would say that it is the most stable of all my guitars. I even installed a Bigsby on it a few months ago and it rarely goes out of tune even on fairly extreme bends (extreme for a Bigsby). Still sounds like a nut issue. With the Grover locking tuners on that guitar there is no need to have several wraps on the tuners I put it through the slot in the tuners give it one turn and it locks pretty well. These locking tuners are so different from any others I have tried and it took me awhile to get use to using them but now I get it and they work well.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Sep 15, 2015,
Sorry, I'll work on my breathing control.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
If two people have worked on it, I'd be less inclined to think that's the issue... unless you're taking it to by-the-hour Guitar Center techs. They're hit and miss.

Are you hitting the strings hard? Did your last guitar have the same tuning issues? Are your pins tight on the tuners? Sometimes with locking tuners, just to be sure, I leave enough slack to get enough of a wind so that part of the string doubles back on itself. The added friction helps the pins keep the string set.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
If two people have worked on it, I'd be less inclined to think that's the issue... unless you're taking it to by-the-hour Guitar Center techs. They're hit and miss.

Are you hitting the strings hard? Did your last guitar have the same tuning issues? Are your pins tight on the tuners? Sometimes with locking tuners, just to be sure, I leave enough slack to get enough of a wind so that part of the string doubles back on itself. The added friction helps the pins keep the string set.

I'm not hitting the strings that hard at all. Small bends can throw it off at its worse. My last guitar was a terrible ashton electric and it probably had better tuning then my epi. The first luthier was bad but the second guy charged me the first time i came and has no problem with me going back and getting further fixes for free if the isssue want solved. I'm very confident he knows what hes doing and let's me watch him work. Think i might do as suggested by the guy above and change the strings. I have regular slinkys on it. Is it sometimes impossible to stretch a bad set of strings? If that doesn't work should i ask him to recut the nut?
Look at the tuner bushings and see if they’re coming loose. I just started having this problem with a guitar and I eventually realized that fall is coming, the changing weather is causing the bushings to pop out, and that’s ****ing with my tuning stability. Fixing it is easy—put a washer on the back of the peg hole, another over the bushing, run a bolt through the washers and hole, and then tighten it down with a wing nut.
Quote by jpnyc
Look at the tuner bushings and see if they’re coming loose. I just started having this problem with a guitar and I eventually realized that fall is coming, the changing weather is causing the bushings to pop out, and that’s ****ing with my tuning stability. Fixing it is easy—put a washer on the back of the peg hole, another over the bushing, run a bolt through the washers and hole, and then tighten it down with a wing nut.

I'm not entirely sure how to correctly check this but I got a spanner and the didn't seem loose or anything. Should I just try tighten them anyway? Thanks for the help
Maybe it's a lemon...that's my best guess. I don't think I've ever played an Epiphone that actually stayed in tune, but hopefully there's a solution out there.
I'd get your new luthier to replace the nut. Your old guy might have not done a good job on it. I put Tusq nuts on both my Epi Les Paul's and they stay in tune like a dream.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
Quote by Stillhouse
I'd get your new luthier to replace the nut. Your old guy might have not done a good job on it. I put Tusq nuts on both my Epi Les Paul's and they stay in tune like a dream.

+1
lots of so called techs/luthiers are little more than hobbyist that you pay a stupid amount to do a very simple job most of the time
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Stillhouse

I might do this, but if turns out that it wasn't the nut that'd suck. Probably worth the shot. I can't imagine what else it'd be