Bought a Marshall DSL40C today, loved the clean and crunch (generally the lower gain sounds), but the high gain is unbearably fizzy - it sounds like something broke inside the amp. I'm going to return it (impulse decision was bad). Initially it was a shootout between the Blackstar Ht40 and the DSL40C. The blackstar has a laughably bad clean channel in my opinion, which steered me away from it at the time, however its gain channel was much more bearable.

Aside from the blackstar Ht-40 I'm looking for recommendations of other valve combos in this wattage category and price range (£600), or maybe a way to make the DSL40C have a decent hi-gain setting without the fizz?

Generally play tones ranging from low gain to GNR level gain and above. I use the clean channel much less however that's just because my current amp (Blackstar HT-5) also has a terrible clean sound.

Thanks.
If you're willing to use pedals to dirty up the clean channel, a Fender HRD might work. (I own & love one, but their drive channel sucks.)

Maybe an Orange? Vox?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 15, 2015,
I like Danny's idea. Go for a Hot Rod Deluxe and find yourself a dirt pedal or two. Not sure what they retail for in your neck of the woods but they are a dime a dozen out here, are absolute work horses and take pedals extremely well.
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
Quote by dannyalcatraz
If you're willing to use pedals to dirty up the clean channel, a Fender HRD might work. (I own & love one, but their drive channel sucks.)

Maybe an Orange? Vox?

It's possible a used AC30 might be within his price range, if he's very lucky.

It might well suit what he's looking for, IIRC Slash did use them quite a bit on the first VR album.
Yeah I'd think an AC15 with a good boost pedal would do it.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Check out the traynor iron horse, or even its little bro the 15w dark horse.
WAIT -

this cant be. that amp is fairly solid. do you get a grace period? 30-60 day return?

do you have spair tubes or can you 2 day them from amazon prime? change out a few preamps tubes, my fave of doing a 5751 in the V1 and perhaps a sovtek LPS or a 12AT7 in the last spot, with perhaps a tung sol reproduction or JJ ecc83 in the rest.

those should be tubes you may use in other amps or could be solid investments. i always have a spare JJ around, and have a 5751 in all of my amps so that would be easy for me.

point being, DSLs are generally solid. this is brand new? perhaps spent a week playing with EQ? heck i get unhappy with my tone every 3 days and then find a new magical setting.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Buy used.

USA tone:
HRD + TS9
Mesa
Fender Supersonic

Brit tone:
Orange
Laney
Peavey Classic 30

Lots of good choices here.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Or you could simply try swapping out the speaker for something decent.

Edit: And retube it with JJ's
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Sep 15, 2015,
Quote by ikey_
WAIT -

this cant be. that amp is fairly solid. do you get a grace period? 30-60 day return?

do you have spair tubes or can you 2 day them from amazon prime? change out a few preamps tubes, my fave of doing a 5751 in the V1 and perhaps a sovtek LPS or a 12AT7 in the last spot, with perhaps a tung sol reproduction or JJ ecc83 in the rest.

those should be tubes you may use in other amps or could be solid investments. i always have a spare JJ around, and have a 5751 in all of my amps so that would be easy for me.

point being, DSLs are generally solid. this is brand new? perhaps spent a week playing with EQ? heck i get unhappy with my tone every 3 days and then find a new magical setting.

+1 it is a solid amp, i have played them several times. i would listen to the tube swapping advise, and the speaker certainly isn't the best.

i would NOT take a HRD over the marshall. however that is just me.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Cathbard
Or you could simply try swapping out the speaker for something decent.

Edit: And retube it with JJ's

Already tried running it through an external Zilla cab with V30s.
Quote by ikey_
WAIT -

People tend to rag on the newer dsls, but I found the combo to be great. I definitely heard the thinness of the lead, but you can't compare Guitar Center volumes to gigging volumes, the DSLs get meaty!

I think the HRD is great. I sold mine because I just didn't need it and I was moving, so I had to make the room. The distortion is just fine, but it is more of a heavy drive than distortion. It'll work just fine as a house amp for a show or two.

Most people will tell you that pedals on clean amps sound great but still don't sound like a nice cranked tube amp. I think that's partially true, and can be hit or miss. My buddy uses a Bad Cat amp (actual bad cat) with a fulltone fulldrive and more than half the time it sounds great and organic (last two shows it's been a dud if I do say so myself.)

The problem with going clean, in my opinion, is finding the right dirt box to go with your amp. An OCD might sound incredible in front of a HRD ( I didn't think so) but might sound awful in front of a DSL (sounded pretty dope).

If you plan on running clean and pedals, experiment out the wazoo.

In summation, the DSL should be perfect for you. Mess with the EQ. less gain is more. Don't scoop the mids. And realize that the guitar, and amps, are more of a midranged instrument. In the mix with a bass and a kick it all blends together in one creamy wall of sound.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Here are a few OD, Distortion, OD/Dist, OD/OD, and Dist/Dist pedals I either own or plan to, in no particular order:

Red Witch Famulus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLO4zeAHcXM&sns=em

T-Rex MAB Overdrive
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqHlhJcIilk&sns=em

Visual Sound* Jekyll & Hyde V2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2EbOBk-_ZU&sns=em

Dr. No Drive-O-Matic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSaCfdncjC4&sns=em

Thorpy Gunshot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGeDiNbRHtw&sns=em

TrueTone* Jekyll & Hyde V3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwiMBNsLtLA&sns=em

TrueTone* VS-XO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtohGQrMN9A&sns=em

Empress Heavy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mO8CKGYpOo&sns=em

WMD Geiger Counter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A7VFxIBj84&sns=em

* Visual Sound recently changed its name to TrueTone. All of the V3 and other new pedals are sold as TrueTone, though the earliest VS-XO pedals were sold as Visual Sound pedals.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 16, 2015,
Quote by ikey_
WAIT -

This is what I was thinking as well. Also, if it's a new amp, the speaker(s) are likely not broken-in. New speakers = fizzy, at least in my experience. Give them 30 hours or so and it goes away. Also, every review I've ever seen of the DSL 40C says that the stock speaker doesn't do it justice.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
£600 budget? You could buy two Vox Night Trains (NT15C1)
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Thanks for your replies. It turns out the amp is literally broken. The Ultra channel is broken to the point where full volume is barely a whisper and it's extremely trebley and tin sounding, I can tell this because it switches between working and "broken" mode randomly.

Going to return it tomorrow, probably for the same model because from the replies in this thread and the sounds I was hearing out of it today in rehearsal (when it wasn't in "broken" mode), I'm willing to give it another go. If I can't get the same model then I'll try the HT40 again, and the Orange TH30 (it's on 10% discount).
Good luck and many happy returns!

well the orange TH30 is a BEAST! great amp too.

but really i would try the DSL again. was it new or used? i also have never heard of a DSL breaking. everything your saying sounds exact opposite if what to expect with a DSL. i expect super meaty, thick, cutting british grind, fairly acceptable cleans, and rock solid construction. versatility.

oh jesus a hot rod isnt even in the same realm. thats a gigging mans classic rock / clean machine amp. great cleans, crap / to sorta acceptable drive, fender rock solid quality at an affordable price, loud enough and with enough headroom for any setting. it does NOT do a built in, hard rock drive tone. you will need to run clean + pedal or grit plus boosts. good ones.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)