Daughter is starting concert band (school) and has the opportunity to play electric bass. She already plays guitar through private lessons and in a different school program.

Need some recommendations on a decent inexpensive bass.

Budget is probably 300-500$ BUT really i dont want to spend that much if I can get a squire for $250 that's decent??

The whole family plays guitar, so having a decent bass isn't a bad thing; I won't mind laying a backing track and becoming familiar.....don't want a piece of junk, but also isn't going to be a primary instrument of choice.

Any recommendations are appreciated -

Thanks,

boyd
squier VM or CV would get the job done fine. i got through high school with a $80 no-name pawn shop bass.

i'd recommend a practice bass amp on the side. nothing too fancy, but running it through a guitar amp can a) damage the speakers and b) sound terrible, and practicing bass acoustically really isn't a good idea.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Thanks Hail, good point about the guitar amp. No one ever mentioned that before. last night i borrowed a friends an ran it through my tasmcam into some studio monitors. Wonder if those will hold or if that's a risk too?
Squier VM and CVs get a lot of love from owners. I've also heard nothing but good things about the SBMM SUB SB4. Used basses I would also consider are Ibanez SR500 SR700 and SRX700, MIM Fender Ps and Js, and Peavey Dyna-Bass (with the Super Ferrite pickups, NOT the Unity).

Happy hunting!
"Quick to judge. Quick to anger. Slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand-in-hand."
- Rush, "Witch Hunt"
Quote by deeptubes
Squier VM and CVs get a lot of love from owners. I've also heard nothing but good things about the SBMM SUB SB4. Used basses I would also consider are Ibanez SR500 SR700 and SRX700, MIM Fender Ps and Js, and Peavey Dyna-Bass (with the Super Ferrite pickups, NOT the Unity).

Happy hunting!

Thanks - I just saw the epi thunderbird for $400....i like the look of that over the squires.

I've been checking craiglist and some other used music sites in my area... no luck finding a MIM fender

MIM fender was my first guitar, so had that on my mind for bass, but see they run 700$ bones...

Thoughts on the epi thunderbird. See some people complaining about balance, but you have to hold the neck anyway, think you'd get used to it??
Quote by boyd98
Thanks - I just saw the epi thunderbird for $400....i like the look of that over the squires.

Thoughts on the epi thunderbird. See some people complaining about balance, but you have to hold the neck anyway, think you'd get used to it??

I have a Thunderbird, and no, you really don't get used to it. The problem is that the headstock is heavy so you're constantly expending effort to keep the darn thing upright and eventually your arm gets really tired. I love the way it sounds but I will probably never use it live again. It's strictly a recording bass now.

For another hundred-ish you can get a Fender Precision, which is what I upgraded to after my shoulder said no moar to the Epi.
Thanks Carson; it's for my daughter so sounds like EPI is bad idea....
For sure. Especially if she's young.

My recommendation is a Squier Bronco. I got one new for around $125 at Guitar Center. It's light, has a decent tone, and most importantly, has the same scale as a guitar so it's extremely comfortable to play. I still compose on mine.
Thanks guys;

Went with a Kramer D1 for $429; pearl white. Body looked comfortable on her and it had the EMG.....thinking it's a descent starting amp. May not be the best tone for school band, but who cares about that
I've owned from new 1962 Burns 6 string Bass
1965 Fender Jazz Bass
Stingray five
G&L L2500
Mexican Fender Jazz V.

I currently use a Chinese 5 string Fender Squier which I sent for by post, it is brilliant, I paid £219 for it.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by boyd98

You really shouldn't "hold" the neck of any guitar. Most definitely you don't want to have to be supporting it while you play. A neck-heavy guitar/bass will impact your ability to play. Avoid.

Honestly, at the low end of things, Fender's Squier series simply has it so right that it's difficult to recommend against it. If you want a bass to start with, don't make appearance your priority. Get what works. Stay away from anything that will instill bad habits.
Quote by dspellman
You really shouldn't "hold" the neck of any guitar. Most definitely you don't want to have to be supporting it while you play. A neck-heavy guitar/bass will impact your ability to play. Avoid. .

Neck dive on the Gibson EB3 and EBO was terrible.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
I would say look into the LTD V-214 with a $399 price tag they are perfect! Far better made the a lot of the Squire/Fender at the same price. However if that is still too high of a price point LTD does offer a few models for around $199. Also the lower tier Ibanez basses play extremely well, are balanced and not super heavy.
Quote by boyd98
Thanks guys;

Went with a Kramer D1 for $429; pearl white. Body looked comfortable on her and it had the EMG.....thinking it's a descent starting amp. May not be the best tone for school band, but who cares about that

Amp?

The D1 looks fine. I usually don't recommend an EMG for bass, nor do I recommend going with actives for a beginner bass, but they work, and the body shape should work well.

What's she using for a bass amp?
My best sounding basses cost me £50 and £60-with-a-flight-case respectively. Garage sales and flea markets are worth a look sometimes, if you have enough knowledge to know what to look for.
Quote by FatalGear41
Bassists don't hover on the forum day and night like guitarists. We've got lives to lead, music to play and whiskey to drink.

Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.