Page 1 of 2
Alright metal heads, I have a question. I see constantly on the forum or in comments sections on YouTube and such that certain modern “metal” music “isn’t true metal”. “It’s ‘core’, ‘djent’, ‘nu’ etc.” Of course this is always spoken with true disdain.

Now I love all kinds of heavy music. I will agree with the “tr00 metal” heads that some of the newer stuff just seems like a crappy Hot Topic trend that will fade with time as soon as the kids writing that music hit their mid-30s. I do however like music like Slipknot, KoRN, Disturbed and others that are not considered “metal” by the metal community.

So really I guess my question is what constitutes “true metal”. Here is the kicker to that question. You can’t get away with just naming bands that started in the early 80s, even if they are still alive and touring today (so no Metallica, Slayer etc.). If that IS the only way to answer the question, then we have to say that metal is a dead genre, much the way that Latin, while still studied, is a “dead language”.

I for one don’t feel that metal is dead so there must be a different answer. Is metal only alive in Scandinavia where you have bands like Amon Amarth or other bands of that nature? Or is it only alive as it once started, in the underground, where small bands gain regional notoriety but never headline any major festivals or appear on the radio?

What are your thoughts guize?!
Based only on those 2 videos, I would have to say that metal is dead.
while those songs were released in 2014, they sound like they could have been released in the 80's or 90's. A musical genre showing absolutely no progression in over 30 years is a dead genre.

"Heavy" music is going well. "true" metal on the other hand is a bit stagnant, but some bands are still keeping it alive (gojira is one that comes to my mind)
Quote by TradHunterRN
Is metal dead?

No, next question.
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
http://mapofmetal.com/#/home

I would name American bands like Symphony X or Conquering Dystopia among others. Generally, those under the progressive metal label. As for Symphony X, etc. - I live in Europe and I can only hope that these band as well as for example Nevermore would come.
hurr gojira nd opeth nd mastodon r best nuew metul \m\

On the real, though. These are bands that I think are good metal bands of recent times:

Horrendous
Yellow Eyes
Obliteration
Trial
Obsequiae
Gris
Slugdge
Mammoth Grinder
Vektor
Grand Magus
40 Watt Sun
Pallbearer
Ahab

There's more, but those are bands that are primarily metal that I think are doing pretty well in the 2010's.
Metal is alive so long as people are listening to it. Even ironically.

"Oh I don't really like Burzum, I just do it so I can wear my Filosofemme shirt, you know? the one with Varg in eyeliner and a blonde wig?"
Quote by severed-metal
Metal is alive so long as people are listening to it. Even ironically.

"Oh I don't really like Burzum, I just do it so I can wear my Filosofemme shirt, you know? the one with Varg in eyeliner and a blonde wig?"

I think it's funny that Varg is a meme now
Imo, generally, if one asks the question whether or not something is dead, it's because it is.

That said, there is no genre of music that is completely dead. There are fans of every genre, somewhere.
If the measure of it being alive is getting radio play then the only kinds of music that is still alive is heavily produced/autotuned pop music and cheesy pop music with beats pretending to be hip-hop. I guess we should all just give up playing guitar huh?
If someone makes that Varg shirt I'll happily buy one.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Thanks for the responses everyone!

And no I don't really think metal is dead myself.

I just asked because it must suck for some artists out there that were influenced by metal, identify with metal and be bashed for being "nu" metal or whatnot.

Also thanks for so many bands I haven't heard of so I can jump into some new material.
Quote by bptrav
If the measure of it being alive is getting radio play then the only kinds of music that is still alive is heavily produced/autotuned pop music and cheesy pop music with beats pretending to be hip-hop. I guess we should all just give up playing guitar huh?

Good God no! I would never want metal to become a genre of the average sheeple lol.

Never put down your axe!
Quote by Djaydjay
A musical genre showing absolutely no progression in over 30 years is a dead genre.

Since when did this become the golden rule? A genre that hasn't progressed in over 30 years is strong. Timeless. These "progressions" you speak of is what kills the music.
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

Quote by Kytokinesis
Since when did this become the golden rule? A genre that hasn't progressed in over 30 years is strong. Timeless. These "progressions" you speak of is what kills the music.

This same guy probably thinks we cannot gleam any knowledge from "archaic" crafts. Maybe he thinks traditional canvas arts are worthless? Or that pyramids have no architectural worth to them?
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
It`s also easy to answer with following questions: Is Blues dead? Is Jazz dead? Is Country dead? Just rhetorical questions, answer them for yourself.
Quote by Djaydjay
Based only on those 2 videos, I would have to say that metal is dead.
while those songs were released in 2014, they sound like they could have been released in the 80's or 90's. A musical genre showing absolutely no progression in over 30 years is a dead genre.

"Heavy" music is going well. "true" metal on the other hand is a bit stagnant, but some bands are still keeping it alive (gojira is one that comes to my mind)

> Gojira

Are you serious?

Quote by Stranglehold
He swallowed black nail polish and shat the word 'motherfucker' onto a non-metal kid. Rad.

Quote by severed-metal
You can dress a woman slutty, but she's not a slut. Understand?

living inside a drop only to die in an ocean
metal definitely isn't dead, you just need to know where to look?
Maybe the mainstream isn't too great?

Although naturally people won't like how genres progress and change over the years
No it's not dead. There are a millions bands you missed from the past, and there are a million bands making music right now that you don't know. Go find them.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Quote by Ironic Maiden
I think it's funny that Varg is a meme now

Aren't the days gone when he was a meme? Who gives a shit about Varg today?
Quote by Knarrenheino
Aren't the days gone when he was a meme? Who gives a shit about Varg today?

Nope, he is still very much a meme.

He's actually gotten more attention recently because more people found his Youtube channel
That must have slipped under my radar. All I know he's an insignificant fucking moron. When I started my "BM career" in '97, Varg was still a thing. That guy who killed Euronymous and made that badass music a few years before, poster boy of church burnings etc... but the world has moved on, murder and church burnings are long ago, black metal has moved on, his newer music isn't worth mentioning, he's just some weird geezer talking rubbish on a YT channel who made a laughable board game.
His "board game" is pretty alright, too. Ways of Yore is easily his best new material. Never really watched his YouTube channel but from what I have seen it's nothing different from what he was saying in the 90's...

Varg will be an unfortunate meme for this musics lifetime and anyone worth their salt has known that since the infamous Kerrang article that started the momentum that probably started many Metal "careers" of users here and globally.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Don't know, to me the Umskiptar album is just some third-grade "true BM" or whatever tosh, the later ambient stuff among the worst you can find on Youtube, the board game just some stupid racist crap and the few sales are only thanks to "Burzum" written and swastikas painted on them.

I still love some of the old stuff btw, but this new stuff is just pathetic to me. Listened to a bit of his YT wisdom too now, but God, what a pile of uninspired, insignificant, laughable nonsense. Among the stupidest Youtube has to offer, and that's saying something.

Varg tries his best to put forward some ideological stuff, but he doesn't have anything to say. There is no ideology behind it, it's just void.
Last edited by Knarrenheino at Sep 24, 2015,
Anyone who says that Metal (or any genre, for that matter) is dead isn't looking hard enough. I've listened to about 30 new albums this year, around 20 of which are Metal, and at least 10 of those are fantastic, and a couple of those I'd even possibly consider all time classics.

Genres don't die. They might not be played on the radio, but the music is always out there.

Last edited by Your Mother : Today at 03:44 PM
Quote by Ironic Maiden
What is it like?

Very reminiscent of Middle Earth Roleplaying mechanically, but it trims off a huge amount of fat and changes some fundamentals here and there. Very easy pick up and play.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Metal isn’t dead. Metal is probably more alive than any time since the height of hair metal. But it’s too fractured for most bands to make a living doing it. It used to be that you had to trade tapes to find out about bands other than the big four and the MTV hair bands. Now there are a hundred new metal albums a week and even bloggers can’t keep up with them all.
Quote by jpnyc
Metal isn’t dead. Metal is probably more alive than any time since the height of hair metal. But it’s too fractured for most bands to make a living doing it. It used to be that you had to trade tapes to find out about bands other than the big four and the MTV hair bands. Now there are a hundred new metal albums a week and even bloggers can’t keep up with them all.

Especially in Europe is metal alive and kicking.
For me the whole "core" genre just shat on metal...they dumbed down, overproduced and sissied up the whole thing up to the point where the whole thing looks almost cartoonish to me.

I am back to the old bands and every once in a while pay my respects to someone like Exodus, Testament, Carcass or At The Gates.

I've pretty much moved my purchases to European bands or some small US bands coming up with albums on bandcamp.com

This impressed me:
https://legionary.bandcamp.com/

Most if not all the mainstream stuff coming out of the States is pure garbage.
Metal is alive for sure. In "the mainstream", they don't play a role really, but metal albums sell, and metal concerts and festivals attract a lot of people. Good metal bands aren't rich, but they can make a living doing what they love, and aren't pressed into doing pop shit. What more to ask for?

When so-called hair "metal" was hip, it didn't do anything good. Not for metal, not for metallers, it even stained pop music which reached an all-time low with hair metal.

I think it can't be much better than the current state.
Thanks for all the thoughts guys.

I too agree metal is not dead; as pointed out before no one would say that jazz/blues/country are dead.

Just annoying to get into discussions with ignorant folk who's only example of metal is bands from the early 80s. Just because 'core sucks they think that's all thats out there and assume metal ain't happening anymore.

Just had been thinking about this 'cus I went to a good local show just before starting this thread and got to hear bands I had never heard of because they are not mainstream; just like how metal started lol.

Skinned in particular just dropped a new album (death metal) that is pretty good.
Page 1 of 2