I'm looking for a hybrid between a Metallica Master of Puppets/And Justice for All and Megadeth Endgame tone. My music is inspired by these two bands so it would fit perfectly. Also I'd prefer active if possible, and I'm looking for good clean and lead tone but rhythm is most important. Budget is $250 each maximum. Am I being too specific?
what are you using for amps? IIRC metallica were using mesa mark's on those albums, i don't know about megadeth. as far as pickups go, both james hetfield and dave mustain have signature active pickup sets (EMG and SD respectively).

in my opinion pickups should come after amps and pedals, as far as rig building goes. the amp has the most affect on tone, and the pedals follow second, and the pickups are more or less fine tuning.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
^^+1 to that. Whenever someone asks about which pickups to use to get [insert tone here], it must be asked which amp they are using. You could use the exact guitar that James Hetfield used to record Master of Puppets and it would sound nothing like the record if you were not using the same amp or a very similar one.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by trashedlostfdup
what are you using for amps? IIRC metallica were using mesa mark's on those albums, i don't know about megadeth. as far as pickups go, both james hetfield and dave mustain have signature active pickup sets (EMG and SD respectively).

in my opinion pickups should come after amps and pedals, as far as rig building goes. the amp has the most affect on tone, and the pedals follow second, and the pickups are more or less fine tuning.

I'm using a Peavey Vypr 30, the 2011 model.
Quote by xcamero360
I'm using a Peavey Vypr 30, the 2011 model.

Then pickups will make hardly any difference. I have a Vypyr 30 myself, and to my ears it sounds exactly the same whether I play through my LTD (has Seymour Duncan Black Winters which are passive), or my Schecter which has active Blackouts.

Through my 6505, they sound A LOT different. Modeling amps like the Vypyr are a lot less responsive to pickup differences than tube amps. That said, you should be able to get a decent tone out of either the 6505 or Rectifier models for the mentioned tones. Just play around with the gain and EQ -- they used a lot less gain than you think.

But if that's not doing it for you, you need a Mesa Mark IIC amp.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
But if that's not doing it for you, you need a Mesa Mark IIC amp.

The Mark V and V:25 has a Mark IIC+ mode at least but we're still talking some $$$.

TS - I suggest you try guitars with different pickups into your amp and see if it makes any difference.

For what you want, compare a guitar with a Seymour Duncan JB (SH-4) and another guitar with an EMG 81 and your actual guitar with the same settings on your amp. Both of these are very common at a guitar center or the like.

If you can tell a difference and want to proceed then go for it. If not then keep saving up for another amp.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Oh and to answer your question directly start with an EMG 81 in the bridge and a 60 in the neck. That's what they use(d) for years.

Again, you should be able to find these in a guitar on the wall at Guitar Center.

You can also consider the H or HA if you want single coil cleans in a humbucker case. Lead guitarist for Death Angel has these in some of his guitars.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I love the active Duncan Dave Mustaine pickups. They are essentially active versions of Dave's favorite passive set- with a lot more output, tighter bass, and..just more.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan