Hey guys. So I bought a new head. I bought an amt stonehead. I was fascinated and couldn't help it. Well all my other amps are combos, so I don't have a cabinet. Well instead of buying a cabinet I've decided I'm going to make one myself. I already have some really pretty a grade plywood. Maple I believe. So I'm going to make my own 1x12. So my question is what 12 inch speaker should I use? Now I don't want a vintage speaker. Nor do I want something way over the top or too expensive. I'm not gunna she'll out 150 bucks for a Celestion. So some of the speakers I was considering we're a eminence swamp thang, the governor, maybe something else. I'd like some suggestions.
If it helps I play everything from blues to metal to swing. I'd like a sorta all around speaker. Also I run my 6505+ at around 8 on the bass, about 3 for the mids, and around 6-7 for highs. With the gain around 8. I run the clean channel pretty flat.
Thanks guys. As always I appreciate your input
If you're in the US give the folks at WGS a call.

https://wgs4.com
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
where are you located? that makes a big difference.

if you are set on building one, i would check out the mesa thiele cabinet specs. they are supposed to sound awesome. i plan on building one down the line.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I live in central oklahoma. Smack in he middle of the U.S. just about haha

I mostly ask because honestly I know very little about speakers. I know a little bit about the cabinets themselves from reading a bunch of stuff on it. But there are just so many different speakers
I'm thinking about going with the eminence governor. It's fairly inexpensive and seems to sound good with plenty of bass to make up for it being a small cab. What do yall think? Since likely most of yall know more than me haha
Quote by Lgarretto
I'm thinking about going with the eminence governor. It's fairly inexpensive and seems to sound good with plenty of bass to make up for it being a small cab. What do yall think? Since likely most of yall know more than me haha

Nope. A speaker can't make up for a badly designed cabinet.

I've been suggesting to folks that they pull down the plans for the Electro Voice TL806 (this is what Mesa used to build its "Thiele" cabinets). It was originally designed around the EV-L speaker, but will do VERY well with an Eminence Delta Pro 12A speaker (sorry, about $134).

This combination will handle virtually any guitar head you care to put on it up to around 200W (it'll actually handle 400W pretty well). The Delta (and the EV-L) have resonant frequencies right down to around 52Hz, and will reproduce those frequencies if given the right cabinet and sufficient power.

The cabinet is compact, and I usually suggest using a Duratex (From Acrytech) coating, which is easily applied, inexpensive, extremely durable and easily repaired if dinged (you'll find most major pro audio companies using it to coat their speaker systems).

http://store.acrytech.com/Speaker-Cabinet-Coatings/

(Invalid img)
Last edited by dspellman at Sep 17, 2015,
WGS and eminence are really hard to beat for the money
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
I ended up buying the eminence man o war (I found a good deal on it and I like it pretty well) and I built the cabinet I just haven't installed the speaker yet. I ended up making a 16x17 inch cabinet. Partially open back (5 inch piece across the top). And I made it with 1/2 maple plywood. A grade. Because I already had it.
Quote by Lgarretto
I ended up buying the eminence man o war (I found a good deal on it and I like it pretty well) and I built the cabinet I just haven't installed the speaker yet. I ended up making a 16x17 inch cabinet. Partially open back (5 inch piece across the top). And I made it with 1/2 maple plywood. A grade. Because I already had it.

the man-o-war is similar to a celestion G12T-75. if it's open back it's not going to matter what dimensions you use.

if you use maple ply you better not tolex it. that should look quite nice with a natural finish.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae