Hey,

I'm 40 and have played guitar for about 20 years...I consider myself 'pretty good' but really lack the technique, accuracy and knowledge about guitar playing to make me a 'really good' guitarist.

I learned to play from friends in the 90's...as TABS evolved I jumped on that train, and then youtube lessons etc and playing by ear has rounded of my skills.

I can play Rhythm, and a bit of lead.

The lead is very 557557577575757 pattern oriented based on TABs, however I have got some pentatonic stuff working recently....or have extended on a pattern inside the chord box.

My accuracy is a bit of a work on, still hitting the wrong string or not quite getting a finger into position / clean in time.

I also seem to struggle a bit to hold a repetitive riff or pattern for a long time, almost falling out of time.

Some songs/riffs are very well rehearsed and hearing me play something like 'Little Wing intro' for instance you would struggle to pick too many flaws.

So....A long story short...I want to improve....but I want to try to use my time as efficiently as possible, focussing on lessons and exercises that would help me move forward the most / quickest?

What Have I been doing?

1) Trying to learn the chords on the neck and their locations in all places.
2) Pentatonic Scales (A and Am)
3) 'Some' alternate picking (although I'm more of a down stroker most of the time due to accuracy challenges)
4) Riffs / Songs (to Broaden styles)
5) Solo's forcing to alternate pick

I'm not sure if any of you are or were similar to me (Can play but want to "PLAY") but if so...any tips on tutorials, approaches, lessons or ideas would be really appreciated.

thank you. J
Really one of the most important things you can do is to use those ear skills you have and apply them to yourself: take away the outside source and start transcribing things you think of to the guitar.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by jansy123
Hey,

I'm 40 and have played guitar for about 20 years...I consider myself 'pretty good' but really lack the technique, accuracy and knowledge about guitar playing to make me a 'really good' guitarist.

I was in a similar boat but maybe had the benefit of a lot of theory from piano lessons.

I eventually took a lot of jazz lessons. I had a teacher who was a very good player, but not a great teacher. Didn't learn a lot or get much better.

I finally figured out, it's not what you practice, but how you practice. I would recommend www.guitarprinciples.com. That helped me a lot.

After more years, I had a major breakthrough. I guess you could say I finally mastered the guitar.

If you don't want to take as long as me, follow some of that. Another really important thing in practice is figuring out what are bad things to do vs good things to do. When I had the breakthrough I realized I was doing a lot of good things, but many bad things as well and I couldn't distinguish them very well. But, all the good things I learned really helped a lot in the end.