Lately I have been contemplating getting rid of my Orange. When compared to my Marshall and my Randall it just seems like there is no low end. The distortion is great, very "Orange" sounding. But when doing any palm mutes or power chords for example it just seems like the low end is not there. Maybe a better way of phrasing it would be to say that there is not enough punch in the amp.
Is this just the amp? I have an EQ pedal in the loop that I could use, but I try not to supplement too much with pedals, but if that is what will do the trick then so be it. Maybe I am not setting my EQ pedal up the correct way. I have thought about selling it and my a Rockerverb which has more tonal control on both channels.
Thoughts? Suggestions?
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
A 30w amp is comprehensibly gonna sport less low end than two 100w or so amps.

I'd try putting a tube screamer in front of the amp and see how it goes.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I normally do that just to add the extra "oomph" to it, but I was just wondering what the cause would be. I didn't think that the low end would be that noticeable, but apparently it is just something I'll have to deal with.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
Line 6 M13
30 watts losses a lot of low end. your amp is el84, 30watts and the OT is much smaller.

My 20watt 1980 Jr has some similar issues when compared to my DSL100.

What speakers are you using with it? That can also have an effect. But what your describing is the reason I never bought the TH30, the TH100 is deff better but I have never seen one at a price I'm willing to pay
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The speaker/cabinet can have a lot to do with it.
The limited amount of power can have a lot to do with it (EL84 output is just fine).
It takes a LOT more power to reproduce bottom end than it does to produce mids and highs.

Your EQ setting can have a lot to do with it.
Do NOT boost bass. Chances are good you're wasting a lot of power on frequencies that aren't being produced. If you like, describe your EQ setup and we may be able to suggest something. I even have an HPF (High Pass FIlter) on a bass guitar to CUT lows that really aren't audible or that aren't capable of being reproduced by the speaker/cabinet setup.
^ the TH30 only has one tone knob
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
^ the TH30 only has one tone knob

He indicated he had an "EQ pedal in the loop "in the original post.
I'd guess it is more the speaker and cab setup. Also with one eq control you're fairly limited. On my Tiny Terror I get more bass with an OD in front. I use Zendrive which has "modern" option that acts as a bit of like low boost, its "vintage" option is pretty much a tubescreamer clone.
Last edited by diabolical at Sep 17, 2015,
Quote by dspellman
He indicated he had an "EQ pedal in the loop "in the original post.

Gotcha, I missed that
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Currently I have two 2x12 cabs. One is loaded with g12t75 and a WGS vet 30 and the other has a WGS retro 30 and cannibas Rex. Oddly enough I messed around with the eq today and got it to acceptable low end. Maybe the speakers are at fault but I get plenty of low end with the other amps. So I will blame the th30 here. Oddly enough I was messing around on the amp today and I put it on standby to switch guitars and when I turned it back on it produced zero sound. Everything remained lit and on but no sound. I have yet to check the fuse or do the fx loop tests.
Line 6 M13
Quote by bobafettacheese
Currently I have two 2x12 cabs. One is loaded with g12t75 and a WGS vet 30 and the other has a WGS retro 30 and cannibas Rex. Oddly enough I messed around with the eq today and got it to acceptable low end. Maybe the speakers are at fault but I get plenty of low end with the other amps. So I will blame the th30 here. Oddly enough I was messing around on the amp today and I put it on standby to switch guitars and when I turned it back on it produced zero sound. Everything remained lit and on but no sound. I have yet to check the fuse or do the fx loop tests.

if you messed with the EQ and got acceptable low-end I'd call it user error not the amp
But anyway good thing you got it sorted
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I will take responsibility for engaging the EQ, but my questions was more pertinent to the amp without the EQ pedal. I don't mind running the pedal with this amp all the time, so long as it produces the low end I am after, I was just wondering if there was a way to get low end without the EQ pedal. Which apparently might be a fault of this 30 watt head. Despite all that its still a great amp. Thanks for the help gentlemen.
Line 6 M13
Quote by bobafettacheese
I will take responsibility for engaging the EQ, but my questions was more pertinent to the amp without the EQ pedal. I don't mind running the pedal with this amp all the time, so long as it produces the low end I am after, I was just wondering if there was a way to get low end without the EQ pedal. Which apparently might be a fault of this 30 watt head. Despite all that its still a great amp. Thanks for the help gentlemen.

Yeah from what I have seen and most that have tried them you have to have a EQ pedal in the loop otherwise the amp seems to be missing something
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
How old are the power tubes in it?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Was it always a thin bass or have you noticed it change over time? I have the TH30 and it sounds fine in comparison to my DSL 50. At home I play it through a stock Marshall 1960B cab which has the same G12T75 speakers and if I travel anywhere I'l use an Egnator 1x12. I get a pretty nice bassy sound out of it either way, but I mostly stay on the clean channel and use pedals to drive it.
Quote by Cathbard
How old are the power tubes in it?

+1 my dual terror started losing bass before the tubes started to go, i would look into that.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I have a DD 100 for sale here in the classified section if you want more bass. This head has so much bass, your eyeballs will shake loose.
thanks gents. I appreciate the help. I will sort out the tubes first, since that is probably the culprit, and luckily I have listened enough to know to have extras, which I do!

Also, for sure don't hijack a thread by trying to sell an amp ^! Looking for advice not a new amp.
Line 6 M13