hey guys,
I want to buy a nice little amp for practice in my apartment. Which one has better value and sound between Vox AC4 and Orange 20RT? please help me choose. I will be playing it with my telecaster MIM standard.

cheers
The AC4 is a tube amp, but it comes with a 12 inch speaker option.

The Orange 20RT is a solid state amp, 8 inch speaker.
Between those two it's the AC4 all the way, but I have to ask, why only those two choices?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
If you're looking for an amp just for practice in your apartment, have you considered buying a set of monitor speakers and using a program like Amplitube? That's what I've replaced my amps with, and I've never really regretted it. Having the monitor speakers are great for listening to music with, and you don't need to crank them to sound good. Plus, if you find one of those Jack Sparrow'd versions of Amplitube online, you're set.

Failing my suggestion, I have absolutely nothing else to contribute to this thread.
Gear:
Gibson X-Plorer Studio Yellow
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC-112 Cab (2 stacked - 1 open backed)
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
Quote by xTJx
If you're looking for an amp just for practice in your apartment, have you considered buying a set of monitor speakers and using a program like Amplitube? That's what I've replaced my amps with, and I've never really regretted it. Having the monitor speakers are great for listening to music with, and you don't need to crank them to sound good. Plus, if you find one of those Jack Sparrow'd versions of Amplitube online, you're set.

Failing my suggestion, I have absolutely nothing else to contribute to this thread.

Thanks, I am using it right now. I just feel i need more "oomph" hehe
Quote by Arby911
Between those two it's the AC4 all the way, but I have to ask, why only those two choices?

because my max budget is $250 and , the vox ac4 is on clearance at GC right now the orange has a tuner and reverb which is an advantage for me.
Quote by sfx
The AC4 is a tube amp, but it comes with a 12 inch speaker option.

The Orange 20RT is a solid state amp, 8 inch speaker.

Ya i still cannot make up my mind to choose either tube or solid state for my budget.
Quote by dhenia182
Ya i still cannot make up my mind to choose either tube or solid state for my budget.

With the AC4, you have to invest in a reverb pedal, but it has no fx loop, so it goes to the front. Sounds good clean but with overdrive/distortion, depends, since the reverb will come before the amp distortion/overdrive.

If you intend to use a dirt pedal before the reverb while the ac4 itself is clean, should be alright, but it's a bit of a waste to do that on a tube amp that's designed to sound nice with it's own overdrive/dirt.

I'll get the ac4 since it's on clearance. You probably can get it resold without much loss should you decide it's not your cup of tea.

The orange tend to be overpriced.

The other option is to go for a modeling amp, way more versatility than orange. There really should be no reason to use a solid state non-modeling amp for practice when you can get a modeling one for better versatility, price and sound.
Quote by sfx
With the AC4, you have to invest in a reverb pedal, but it has no fx loop, so it goes to the front. Sounds good clean but with overdrive/distortion, depends, since the reverb will come before the amp distortion/overdrive.

If you intend to use a dirt pedal before the reverb while the ac4 itself is clean, should be alright, but it's a bit of a waste to do that on a tube amp that's designed to sound nice with it's own overdrive/dirt.

I'll get the ac4 since it's on clearance. You probably can get it resold without much loss should you decide it's not your cup of tea.

The orange tend to be overpriced.

The other option is to go for a modeling amp, way more versatility than orange. There really should be no reason to use a solid state non-modeling amp for practice when you can get a modeling one for better versatility, price and sound.

This all the way.
A modeling amp would be your best option IMO.
The top two, in your price range I would look at are:
Vox Valvetronix - Good choice for cleans to classic rock type dirt.
Peavey Vypyr - Better if you want to focus on the heavier stuff.

Out of the 2 you listed. the AC4 all the way.
i actually like the AC-4's a lot, but they don't do anything modern really.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
If i buy ac4 that will be my first tube amp. But i dont have tuner and reverb pedal. I will be using my pedalboard: bad monkey, ehx graphic fuzz, memory toy delay, and boss rc3 looper. So do you think its worth it with ac4? Or with pedalboard id better off with a solid state? Thx