I have been practicing sweep picking for almost 2 years now. However, I have had a few guitarists say that it sounded uneven and they were right! How can I make my sweeps sound even, fast, and efficient?

I also have Guitar Pro to learn songs with. Would this be a good way to learn sweeps?
Practice for a couple more years with a metronome

As far as progression goes just start with a chord that you would normally strum.
I started with a nice jazzy sounding chord myself: D:13 G:12 B:11 HighE:10
Slowly pick through it evenly, forward and back.

Then you can make it interesting with legato: D:10 D:13 G:12 B:11 HighE:10 HighE:13 HighE:10 B:11 G:12 D:13 D:10
Your picking hand does less work for more notes when you incorporate legato but it is more difficult to keep in time.

You can also incorporate slides to cover more of the neck. Or you can practice reversal part way through the chord patterns as well. Lots of possibilities but the only way to make it more even is to practice with a tempo
Last edited by mik James at Sep 18, 2015,
Quote by TosinAsLeader
I have been practicing sweep picking for almost 2 years now. However, I have had a few guitarists say that it sounded uneven and they were right! How can I make my sweeps sound even, fast, and efficient?

I also have Guitar Pro to learn songs with. Would this be a good way to learn sweeps?

I like to use sweep picking as a relaxation exercise. So, if you don't feel like you're relaxed during your sweeps, something is going wrong. Also, the advice about going very slow, and controlled with a metronome is very good advice.

I'm doing a lot of sweeps in the vids posted in my profile via my sig if you want to have a look.
Quote by mik James
Practice for a couple more years with a metronome

As far as progression goes just start with a chord that you would normally strum.
I started with a nice jazzy sounding chord myself: D:13 G:12 B:11 HighE:10
Slowly pick through it evenly, forward and back.

Then you can make it interesting with legato: D:10 D:13 G:12 B:11 HighE:10 HighE:13 HighE:10 B:11 G:12 D:13 D:10
Your picking hand does less work for more notes when you incorporate legato but it is more difficult to keep in time.

You can also incorporate slides to cover more of the neck. Or you can practice reversal part way through the chord patterns as well. Lots of possibilities but the only way to make it more even is to practice with a tempo

Do you have any scale patterns you like the most that you like to connect to?
Quote by TosinAsLeader
Do you have any scale patterns you like the most that you like to connect to?

I pretty much play everything by ear, I just don't have much patience for theory
A few neat sweeps:

This will help to practice adding legato. Don't pick the second note on each string, just use hammer ons going up and pull offs on the way back down.
E-------------10-13-10------------------------------
B---------11------------11---------------------------
G-10-12-------------------12-10------------------------

Same idea here in a more complex pattern:
E-------------------------10-14-10------------------
B---------------------12-------------12----------------
G-------------11-14---------------------14-11---------
D---------12------------------------------------12-------
A--10-14-------------------------------------------14-10-

Plenty of other cool things from barring notes to slide up and down to string skipping and tapping.

I can add a few other examples later when I have a guitar around. Can't connect everything without hearing it, I suppose that's where theory would be useful
Last edited by mik James at Sep 22, 2015,
Quote by mik James
I pretty much play everything by ear, I just don't have much patience for theory
A few neat sweeps:

This will help to practice adding legato. Don't pick the second note on each string, just use hammer ons going up and pull offs on the way back down.
E-------------10-13-10------------------------------
B---------11------------11---------------------------
G-10-12-------------------12-10------------------------

Same idea here in a more complex pattern:
E-------------------------10-14-10------------------
B---------------------12-------------12----------------
G-------------11-14---------------------14-11---------
D---------12------------------------------------12-------
A--10-14-------------------------------------------14-10-

Plenty of other cool things from barring notes to slide up and down to string skipping and tapping.

I can add a few other examples later when I have a guitar around. Can't connect everything without hearing it, I suppose that's where theory would be useful

nice trick..thanks..works well in key of D
play well

wolf