Hi all. Anyone have any experience with this amp? I am looking for a lower wattage tube amp in my price range, and this (among a couple others) looks pretty sweet.

Any thoughts, or hands-on opinions?
Last edited by foochcky at Sep 17, 2015,
i use an original VK for practice and have tried the 2nd version as well. tha amp is decent for certai things so it really depends on what you want to play. for rock and blues it excells. once you head into metal territory then it starts to fall short. for 70s - early 80s metal it does fine once you get past that it needs help (although i recommend using an overdrive with it regardless) for modern metal you are better off with a different amp.

the stock speaker isn't great and the boost function isn't worth much except at bedroom volumes. once you get past that then again don't bother using it and use an overdrive. overall the amp takes pedals really well. the clean channel is really good
i had the original one as well. The amp is voiced in the middle - so it doesn't have crystal clear tones. The overdrive is very thick and in the middle. I replaced the stock speaker for a celestion vintage which made a difference but the issue I had was due to the voicing of the amp a fender strat wouldn't sound very disimilar to a gibson (of course I'm exaggerating here) as it's a bit murky. But it is a fun amp to have as long as you understand that the cheapest valve amp out there can't sound as good as an amp twice the price.
Quote by adetheheat
i had the original one as well. The amp is voiced in the middle - so it doesn't have crystal clear tones. The overdrive is very thick and in the middle. I replaced the stock speaker for a celestion vintage which made a difference but the issue I had was due to the voicing of the amp a fender strat wouldn't sound very disimilar to a gibson (of course I'm exaggerating here) as it's a bit murky. But it is a fun amp to have as long as you understand that the cheapest valve amp out there can't sound as good as an amp twice the price.

can't agree. i use a strat with mine and it sounds fine with it. the clean channel while not as crystal as say a twin reverb is still a very nice clean. as for the drive channel if you turn off the boost then it's fine just use an overdrive and you get much better results.

it is a cheaper amp but is still very capable of producing good tones. yes a speaker swap does help a great deal.
An EQ in the effects loop goes a long way in a VK. And you'll more then likely need a speaker swap, so that's another ~$120 USD out the budget. You might also want to check out Jet City stuff, around the same prices new I think.