I've been playing a Jackson JS22-7 guitar for a little over half a year now, but a couple weeks ago it developed an issue in that The high b and e strings do not seem to be getting picked up as much as the lower strings. They still produce SOME sound when plucked, although very little, and when it comes to playing them at around the twelfth or higher frets, there is a very muted sound that is instantly choked off, While the other strings are still giving off sound almost as well or just as well as they normally would. This is embarrassingly odd that the sound is muted and lacks any amount of sustain even when I crank the volume and gain on my amps.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? What do you think I can do about it? I took it in to GC (i know, i know, but there aren't many guitar places in my town). The tech tried adjusting the position of the pickups and it seems that the bridge pickup is the only one with this problem. Is the solution going to be me having to replace the pickup or should I just exercise my ownership of a warranty here?

any help is appreciated, thanks
When I first read this I was thinking you need a truss rod adjustment as the neck probably moved over time (humidity, settling, etc) or you have a fret raising up - either way string against a fret that's muting it.

However, if it only happens with one pickup then that idea is out. Maybe it's a pickup failure but I've never heard of this situation with a bad pickup - normally it's either all or nothing - but others may have.

Have you tried putting on fresh strings?
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
When I first read this I was thinking you need a truss rod adjustment as the neck probably moved over time (humidity, settling, etc) or you have a fret raising up - either way string against a fret that's muting it.

However, if it only happens with one pickup then that idea is out. Maybe it's a pickup failure but I've never heard of this situation with a bad pickup - normally it's either all or nothing - but others may have.

Have you tried putting on fresh strings?

I'll look into giving the truss rod some adjustment, and I thought the same thing about the pickup, but it's so odd for it to be so picky, the tech at Guitar Center brought the pickup higher to see if it would benefit some, and it helped a tad but without removing the cover (which i doubt would solve this) I don't think there's much to be saved.

I changed the strings on it a little over a month ago, but I've never had a problem like this with strings before
It's not the pickup, unless the pickup is SO high that the strings are touching the pickup screws/pole pieces. The pickups should NOT be anywhere near that high, by the way.

Chances are good that you need to modify your setup a bit (don't simply crank the truss rod randomly as the newbs do) and/or check that you don't have a couple of frets that are too high. If you changed string gauge or brand, you may have changed the tension a bit, and that could have something to do with it. If you changed the bridge height when you changed strings, THAT could have something to do with it. And so on. The first thing, always, is to see if your frets are level. Often if I find frets on particular strings "choking out" it's due to a too-high fret further up the neck. Your action may be adjusted a bit too low or your bridge saddle radius may not be matching that of the fretboard. You may need to find a *good* tech to take a look at things.
Strange. I would start by raising the bridge a bit on the one side. Is there fret buzz? Does it also sound muted when you play the guitar by itself without the amp? That would tell you whether it's a setup issue or electronics. If it is electronics then I would start by switching the neck pickup to the bridge position to see what happens.
Quote by dspellman
It's not the pickup, unless the pickup is SO high that the strings are touching the pickup screws/pole pieces. The pickups should NOT be anywhere near that high, by the way.

Chances are good that you need to modify your setup a bit (don't simply crank the truss rod randomly as the newbs do) and/or check that you don't have a couple of frets that are too high. If you changed string gauge or brand, you may have changed the tension a bit, and that could have something to do with it. If you changed the bridge height when you changed strings, THAT could have something to do with it. And so on. The first thing, always, is to see if your frets are level. Often if I find frets on particular strings "choking out" it's due to a too-high fret further up the neck. Your action may be adjusted a bit too low or your bridge saddle radius may not be matching that of the fretboard. You may need to find a *good* tech to take a look at things.

The pickup was not raised that high, it's still close to it's starting position. It was mostly raised as an experiment to see if it would help. I'll give the truss rod some very gentle adjustment to see if it helps. I haven't messed with action or bridge but I suppose it's possible I could have accidentally messed with it while cleaning and changing it's strings.
Quote by dthmtl3
Strange. I would start by raising the bridge a bit on the one side. Is there fret buzz? Does it also sound muted when you play the guitar by itself without the amp? That would tell you whether it's a setup issue or electronics. If it is electronics then I would start by switching the neck pickup to the bridge position to see what happens.

I'll adjust the bridge a bit to see if that will help. When it comes to playing it acoustically, I feel like it sounds fine, I wouldn't put it past the thought that there is some sort of fret interference though. As far as switching the pickups, that isn't something that I think I feel confident in doing myself, so I might end up sending it in somewhere.