I've been thinking of getting a noise gate pedal, something that is good for a metal style. I tried the Decimator II and also the boss ns2 and loved both. Is there anything else I should keep a look out for? or which is preferable?
I'd say Decimator over most, if not all, other noise gates; it takes care of a lot more noise type (hum, feedback, hiss, etc.)
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
I have the Decimator II and it does really everything I'd ever need it to for metal tones - as said above, gets rid of pretty much any noise and it's quite easy to set it to a sweet spot where it shuts off everything unnecessary and allows for great staccato riffing, while not cutting off long notes too early.

From what I heard and saw in tests (when I was deciding for a noise gate), the NS2 is pretty cool but it does affect tone a little, which the Decimator doesn't do in the slightest. Also heard very good things about the MXR Smart Gate (which is in between the two in terms of price) but never had a chance to try one.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
There's no point in trying to convince a moron.
Quote by TheLiberation
I have the Decimator II and it does really everything I'd ever need it to for metal tones - as said above, gets rid of pretty much any noise and it's quite easy to set it to a sweet spot where it shuts off everything unnecessary and allows for great staccato riffing, while not cutting off long notes too early.

From what I heard and saw in tests (when I was deciding for a noise gate), the NS2 is pretty cool but it does affect tone a little, which the Decimator doesn't do in the slightest. Also heard very good things about the MXR Smart Gate (which is in between the two in terms of price) but never had a chance to try one.

The smart gate is something I would like to give a try as well, but the only two I've been able to find were the boss and decimator. I feel like the Decimator is what I would want to go for, I'm probably going to end up trying it again before too long, I don't have a whole lot of experience with pedals and the single knob for threshold is something I'd have to experiment with
The big thing is the price, really- I think the decimator is a little better, but you can only put it either in front of the amp or in the loop. With the ns2, using the x-pattern method, you can put it both places at once. If you absolutely need a noise gate both places, it starts to get very expensive indeed with the decimator (considering it's normally a bit dearer already than the ns2); conversely if you prefer the decimator and think you could get away with it just in one place, it might be a better call. It's up to you, really.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
back when i had a noisy set-up i used a Rocktron Hush 2. The half-rack sized one. very effective, built like a tank, strong threshold -almost overkill in fact. kills all noise dead. period.

don't need it anymore since my new amp and rig are noise free.

see ebay, they go for about $100 usd used. i don't think they are made anymore

i've used mine for death metal and punk in the most shittiest back yard keggers and dive clubs in socal. portable generator interference, ground hum, mexican radio, lawnmower interference, ham radio, feedback, police and sheriff radio + helicopters...etc.. nothing got through that thing.
Last edited by ad_works at Sep 18, 2015,
I have been using a MXR smart gate for several years and I really like it. no real tone loss but it does a great job of keeping things quiet
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate