So back in the early 90's I bought a Jackson. I think it was a Dinky or something. I paid $450 for it.

About a month later this guy comes over with a BC Rich that he paid $250 for, and it blew the Jackson out of the water! Compared to the Jackson, it had this huge, fat, 3D quality and it instantly pissed me off (I had no idea how to pick a guitar back then). I haven't considered a Jackson ever since.

So, now I'm looking into one of these Jackson Rhoads RRXMG's, but I don't want to end up with something where I could get ten times better tone for half the price.

Any thoughts on this? I'm looking for a "shredder" guitar but I wanna get the most bang for the buck (under $700). I don't want a used guitar though--that's like marrying a hooker.

Thanks
"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." -some dude
Last edited by Prime2515102 at Sep 17, 2015,
New Indonesian Jacksons are pretty good.

That said, with the X-Series you don't get a whole lot of bang for your buck. For the $700 you would spend on the RRXMG you're going to get basswood, maple, rosewood, FR special and EMG pickups. Meanwhile someone who buys a BC Rich NJ Warlock spends $500 and gets mahogany, mahogany ebony, and a FR1000 but Duncan Design pickups.

Things do get better once you get to the Pro Series Jackson. For $200 more you can get a Pro Rhoads which is considerably better. But among mid-level guitars, you still get more guitar from BC Rich.
Gonna show you 2 V's that I have personally owned around your price point and little things about both. (Well I owned a limited edition of the B.C. Rich which had a limited edition headstock and Nato body wood vs Mahogany.) Both share the following specs: Ebony fingerboards, Maple neck through construction, EMG pickups (Rich has 81/85, while the Jackson has 81/89), and both have the Floyd Rose 1000 series trems. The Jackson has an Alder body while the Rich has a Mahogany body. Both are SICK. They both played well, sounded great, and looked SEXY. I honestly preferred the fingerboard on the B.C. Rich as it was highly polished and just looked smooth. But I picked the Jackson in the end because I really preferred it's unpainted, natural finished neck and extra jumbo frets as well as the heel giving you better access to the upper frets. The B.C. Rich has 24 frets compared to the Jackson's 22 and that also gives you a much better clean due to the neck pickup placement.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jackson-rrmg-randy-rhoads-pro-electric-guitar

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/b.c.-rich-nj-deluxe-jr.-v-electric-guitar?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CM_KytLDgMgCFQGqaQoddbkCKg&kwid=productads-plaid^57301007707-sku^516096000643000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^53736456387

EDIT: I forgot to mention. The B.C. Rich's input jack placement is genius. It's on the back of the top wing.
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
Last edited by GraceByDeath at Sep 18, 2015,
i wouldn't buy a x-series jackson i would try to go MIJ or get the pro series.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Thanks for the replies, I'm looking into all this. I'm moving in a couple weeks and I'll be right down the road from GC so I'll be able to check some of this stuff out in person.
"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." -some dude
whats wrong with a used guitar? out of my 23 electrics, i only bought three or four new.

thats just me though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
I own one of the new Pro series Dinkys (an MIM DK2m).

It's extremely well made.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I've played quite a few in my time working in a guitar shop. In my opinion, the Pro Series models, anything made in Japan or Mexico, are very nice guitars, right on par with, or better than, anything else in their price range. The lower end models on the other hand, the X Series, and especially the JS series, get absolutely shit on by their competition at the same price points from Schecter and LTD.

Seriously consider Schecter, for that price range. Just play some.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
If you missed the 2000s Pro series, then I have condolences for you.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
Owned a platinum Virgo and platinum beast. Virgo had an EVH and hotrails, beast was all stock bc rich components. I also has a jackson SL1 soloist... I don't have either of the bc rich guitars any more but I am currently refinishing the jackson that I tracked down and got back s few years ago. Jackson is hands down better paying and higher quality than the bcr and played better stock for stock. That's why I sought it out to get it back.
Quote by Beakeroyeast
Owned a platinum Virgo and platinum beast. Virgo had an EVH and hotrails, beast was all stock bc rich components. I also has a jackson SL1 soloist... I don't have either of the bc rich guitars any more but I am currently refinishing the jackson that I tracked down and got back s few years ago. Jackson is hands down better paying and higher quality than the bcr and played better stock for stock. That's why I sought it out to get it back.

Unless those BC Rich were US-made, not sure how the comparison with a US-Jackson is supposed to work. The TS budget seems to be around $700 anyways.
Huh?... I didnt read any qualifications in what was being compared between the manufacturers. It seems like the issue was higher dollar Jacksons vs lower dollar BC Rich's. I was just giving my experience /opinion on the two platinum BCR's and Jackson SL1.
i would look into an ibanez prestige (if you don't mind a thin neck) on your budget now that i think about it. you can pick one up a used one for $500ish (on the low side) and throw some new pickups in of your choice.

FWIW, i have owned three jacksons, a DKMG, a DKMGT, and a DXMG. the first were MIJ, and excellent IMO. one had some issues with the frets out of the factory though, but the others were great.

i sold the jacksons. bought three LTD's. picked up an EC400, EC401, and an EC1000. they were different and not perfect, and maybe a small downgrade, but i liked them at the time.

i sold the LTD's. and bought three ibanez prestige's. a 3550MZ 2570DVSL and a 1570. all j-craft MIJ, and they are truly stellar. i got some really good deals ($700 NOS, $380 and $520 in order).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I will second on the Ibanez. The Wizard II neck is stellar and even their budget guitars are top notch quality.
The older MIJ Pro Series were brilliant.

Even the newer Pro series seem to be pretty good.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Best 700$ jackson = charvel model 5 or 6
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel