Probably making my big purchase tomorrow...finally. I am going to check out a used Marshall JVM 410HJS. This will be my first purchase of a head. Anything specific to watch out for when buying used?

Btw, I chose this model based on reviews and sound clips on youtube. I am excited and think it will suit the style I want to play which is everything from classic rock to hard rock and metal.
Look inside and make sure it isn’t a dirty modded mess, infested with roaches, etc. Crank up and to if it stinks or smokes or when it gets hot. If you’ve never played one before try it with multiple guitars to be sure you don’t only like the way it sounds with one instrument. Make sure all the channels and knobs and switches and jacks work (within reason—you can’t always test different speaker out options) and run every knob from 0 to 10 to see if they cut out or crackle.
Quote by jpnyc
Look inside and make sure it isn’t a dirty modded mess, infested with roaches, etc. Crank up and to if it stinks or smokes or when it gets hot. If you’ve never played one before try it with multiple guitars to be sure you don’t only like the way it sounds with one instrument. Make sure all the channels and knobs and switches and jacks work (within reason—you can’t always test different speaker out options) and run every knob from 0 to 10 to see if they cut out or crackle.

thanks - great advice - I would not have thought of those things.
Step 1: Turn on power and wait for one minute.
Step 2: Turn all knobs up as far as they will go.
Step 3: Detune guitar as low as you can while still getting some sustain (bass will use much more power).
Step 4: Turn standby off
Step 5: Hit power chord at the open 6th string (be sure to be no more than 2 feet from the cab)
Step 6: Wait for amp to explode.

If it doesn't explode, you should be good and you can proceed to what jpnyc said.
"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." -some dude
I would also be prepared to retube the amp. There is no telling how much life the tubes have left in them. They may be good to go for a long while, but better to have a spare set or two just in case. Don't forget to post a NAD once you get it!!!
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7(*for sale*)
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13