I'm using my older brother's account so I'm sorry if I don't do this right. I've been doing a lot of research on amps and so far I found that I like Carvin. My brother tours and records with a v3 and he said he absolutely loves it. I've never had a chance to play on it since we live so far away and I rarely see him. I like what I'm hearing on YouTube videos and I read a lot of reviews that are Good and bad. I'm currently running through my brothers old Bugera 333xl head and I like it but it's not exactly what I want. I guess what I'm wanting to know is, is the Carvin v3 as Good as people say it is? I'd like non bias answers and if you have sound clips that would be great too. Also a lot of people say it sounds like a Mesa duel recto which my dad plays on one and I think they absolutely suck, I much like my brothers tone over my dads.
It is as good as it is, in that it does what people who like it need it to do. You either like it or you don't. If you like it, you'll praise it. If you hate it, you'll trash it. As for it sounding like a Recto, it doesn't. It may have certain characteristics that some would call Mesa-ish, but that does not mean it sounds like a Recto anymore than a 5150 sounds like a Recto.

The 333xl is a copy of a Peavey JSX - which is a tweaked XXX/3120/Ultra Plus - which was Peavey's attempt at a Mesa Recto type amp.

There are a lot of amps out there. Go to the music store and play a few. Check out demo's online from different makes and models. Ask yourself what your needs are as a musician. If the V3 ends up being the amp you like the most, save your pennies and get one.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
I had a V3 for about 3 years, sold it earlier this year. It's a good amp, but it's a bit of a jack of all trades, master of none. There isn't one sound that it nails particularly well, but it does a wide range pretty passably. It's great for people who need a lot of tonal variety (cover bands, studio/session musicians) but if you are looking for a particular tone then maybe not so much.

The thing that killed it off for me was the option paralysis. There is so much tweakability on the amp that it becomes counter-productive. You spend so long trying to nail your perfect tone and driving yourself mad over small changes to any number of controls.

I liked the amp, but I got bored and moved on but YMMV
Quote by Dan_5893

The thing that killed it off for me was the option paralysis. There is so much tweakability on the amp that it becomes counter-productive. You spend so long trying to nail your perfect tone and driving yourself mad over small changes to any number of controls.

This sounds very much like a personal issue to me.
And not an issue with the amp itself
Quote by jacrane74
I guess what I'm wanting to know is, is the Carvin v3 as Good as people say it is?

You're not going to find an answer here, and you really won't find it on YouTube, either.

The V3 isn't a one-trick pony, as something like the 6505 is. It gives you options, and the "master of none" folks are generally those who find anything more than the On/Off switch and the volume knob a challenge.
The V3 is a very versatile amp, lots of options in a cool package. I think it is worth it, especially with Carvin keeping the price where it is, you can rarely find something in the price range that will touch it. Maybe around the 3k range.
Quote by dspellman
This sounds very much like a personal issue to me.
And not an issue with the amp itself

Hey, I'm just giving an honest perspective on what it was like to own the amp Some of the extra EQ options I found to be redundant but others may not have the same experience. Like I said, your mileage may vary.
i don't know how we can help you unless we know what you like. genre? budget? willing to buy used? etc.

i honestly haven't had much hands on experience with one, but i thought it was decent when i did, if i needed another amp i would personally consider buying one. they sound a little fizzy on some clips though. they still sound good though none the less.

since your brother has one, maybe you would want to have something different? just a thought.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i don't know how we can help you unless we know what you like. genre? budget? willing to buy used? etc.

i honestly haven't had much hands on experience with one, but i thought it was decent when i did, if i needed another amp i would personally consider buying one. they sound a little fizzy on some clips though. they still sound good though none the less.

since your brother has one, maybe you would want to have something different? just a thought.

I found when I had one that you had to keep the presence down a bit if you wanted any kind of really chunky tone, otherwise the fizz you mention overtakes the sound.

TS, I thought the V3 was a pretty sick amp. I did get tired of mine eventually, but I get bored with most all amps eventually

I think the clean was OK, it might have just been that I never put a lot of time in it (and that all my guitars at the time had very high output pickups). Very tweakable and definitely worth getting if you don't mind spending just a bit of time twisting some knobs.

The distortion was nuts, just awesome. I never had an issue with getting a good dirty tone, and unlike many other amps I had enough control that I didn't feel the need to run an overdrive in front.

I'd say that there is nothing objectively bad about it. It all comes down to if you like the way it sounds.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I play mostly metal and hard rock. I want something durable and I've heard Jordan's (my brother) stories about how amazingly durable his heads have been and my dads amps (Dual Rec, JVM410) are constantly in the shop. Plus I don't want to go over $1,200. Since this is my first real amp my brother said he would pay for half so I can only do $600. I am willing to buy it used but I'm very sceptical because I don't want anything moded. I want to be able to switch between tones like Metallica and megadeth to pantera to Avenged Sevenfold and in between.
personally if i had your budget I'd grab a 2 channel Dual/Triple recto and a boost pedal, im pretty sure you can get all that for $1200 right in the US right??

I've played the V3 as well as the Legacy 3 Steve Vai amp which takes some aspects of the V3, and I'd agree with what Dan_5983 said. It does a lot, but neither ever sounded fantastic to me. Yeah, the options are great and considering the price anything else with that level of tweakability will cost you a lot more but it sounded quite lifeless to me.

Your best option is to actually play the V3 and compare it, just because your brother swears by it doesn't mean you will. I thought I'd love an ENGL powerball from reviews and demos, but turns out I hate that amp with passion. Try the amp yourself and see where you stand on it, as annoying as it might be its your best option.
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Carvin does have a try it for 10 days if your buying new , no questions asked if you don't like it , just send it back , so that's a option if your buying new
My brother said that his next trip down he'll leave one of his with me so I can play around with it. I 100% hate Mesa Rectifiers. Some other Mesa's are OK but my dad owns one and I absolutely hate it because I can only get maybe 2 or 3 OK sounds out of it. But yet again this is just my opinion. And I also didn't know that they had a return policy, I'm assuming you have to pay shipping and a return fee.