So I'm in the market for a new guitar, and recently I played a couple of my college/friend's telecasters, and really liked how they felt to play unplugged.
However, plugging them in and cranking up the distortion, it felt like they weren't that capable of the loud, dirty sound I am going for.
#1 is this true? And #2, where can I get a telecaster with humbuckers in it, or do you people have anything else to suggest to me
I saw a couple tele's with a humbucker in either the neck OR bridge positions, but not both.
John 5 Tele is the ticket for Metal shred tone.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Overall, yeah, singlecoils don't generally match the beef of humbuckers, though there's higher output singlecoils and higher output humbuckers.

There's a few dual humbucker Teles - the first one that comes to mind is the '72 Tele Deluxe which retails for I think about £8-900 (and also has a Squier equivalent in, I think, the VM range? Might be CV), then there's the FMT HH Tele, the HH Standard Tele, American Standard HH Tele, the John 5 sig... Then I'm sure there's a lot of stuff from other companies if you don't feel like going for a Fender. Really just depends what exactly you're after and what you're willing to pay.

So... Budget? Styles?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Sep 18, 2015,
Quote by Himynameisben95
So I'm in the market for a new guitar, and recently I played a couple of my college/friend's telecasters, and really liked how they felt to play unplugged.
However, plugging them in and cranking up the distortion, it felt like they weren't that capable of the loud, dirty sound I am going for.
#1 is this true? And #2, where can I get a telecaster with humbuckers in it, or do you people have anything else to suggest to me
I saw a couple tele's with a humbucker in either the neck OR bridge positions, but not both.

The Squier John 5 sig has HBs neck and bridge, and isn't too costly. The Jim Root is about the same price.

You might also want to look at the thinline series, which can have P90s or HBs in.

Quote by Cajundaddy
John 5 Tele is the ticket for Metal shred tone.

Though the American Fender version does cost more than an LP Standard.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Last edited by slapsymcdougal at Sep 18, 2015,
^ Yep, LTD is known for some pretty cool metul Telecaster-shaped models, so I'd take a good look at their catalog in this case (although I think they do have the syndrome of "EMG81-in-everything").
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
There's no point in trying to convince a moron.
Quote by TheLiberation
^ Yep, LTD is known for some pretty cool metul Telecaster-shaped models, so I'd take a good look at their catalog in this case (although I think they do have the syndrome of "EMG81-in-everything").

That one has a 81 and a 60
Fender FMT telecaster, do it. They are awesome.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
I'll look in to all these guitars, thanks guys.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
So... Budget? Styles?

I don't really feel comfortable going over £500 but I might do so, idk. As for style, more punk and less metal, more rhythm than lead, but obviously I want a good all-rounder with a good clean tone and a great highly distorted one
Quote by Himynameisben95
I don't really feel comfortable going over £500 but I might do so, idk. As for style, more punk and less metal, more rhythm than lead, but obviously I want a good all-rounder with a good clean tone and a great highly distorted one

Well the Squier VM models - the '72 Thinline Deluxe and the Deluxe come in just north of £300 - a friend of mine just bought the Thinline model (in spite of the F-hole, there isn't a huge difference soundwise). Fender also has the Modern Player Thinline which has P-90s and is still Chinese built but pretty nice from what I've seen.

Tele Deluxes are really big with pop punk bands, for what it's worth, so they should be in the right ballpark tonally. And if you've got a £500 budget you should be able to stretch to new pickups if you really needed to.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Quote by K33nbl4d3

There's a few dual humbucker Teles - the first one that comes to mind is the '72 Tele Deluxe which retails for I think about £8-900 (and also has a Squier equivalent in, I think, the VM range? Might be CV),

I wouldn't be inclined to go for that for heavier tones, the pickups are pretty low output and not really voiced for heavy stuff, plus they're wide range-sized so aren't a direct swap for most off-the-shelf name brand high output humbuckers.

But I agree that an HH tele (with regular-sized humbuckers) or tele-style guitar from another manufacturer is the thing if he likes how teles feel and play but not the sound of the stock SS tele.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My first instinct for a HH Tele would be one of the G&Ls or Carvins. I might also look for a Fernandes/Burny. And there are others out there as well.

But what is available to you depends on your budget...

You should be able to find a Fret-King Country Squire Semitone for under £500.

http://fret-king.com/black-label/country-squire-semitone.html#.VfxVPWK9KSM
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 18, 2015,
There are quite a few different Tele offerings out there with Humbuckers as have been referenced above. Of course, how accessible those options are depends on your budget. You could always custom build a warmoth and do up a tele-gib style guitar as well.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
OP, what's your amp and what's the loud/dirty sound you're looking for? Do you have examples?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!