Hello UG

I've been owning a 4-stringed, active, Ibanez GSR200, with 55-110 string gauge, for almost a year now. It went to the luthier the second month for a free setup : string height, straightening of the neck, and verification of the inner electronics.
But from the beginning I've never had sustain on the E and A strings (which are actually D and G since I down-tune 1 step, but that's irrelevant, the problem existed before I tuned it down). The 2 high strings work perfectly fine though, I have a nice, clean sound that lasts for more than 10 seconds. I'm happy if I manage to let the 2 low strings ring for more than 5 seconds... even the open notes.
Do you know what could cause this problem ? I play metalcore so you guess the 2 low strings are more important to me.

Thank you in advance
It may be your string selection.
Going with lighter strings was a step in the right direction, yet a budget bass cannot be expected to perform as if it is a professional grade instrument.
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
Well, you know that there were plenty of classic Fender Basses which had dead spots in the neck.

In fact, Leo changed the array of the head design by the time he hit the MM Stingray.

The point is that problems can come from design and from the wood used in the manufacture, not to even mention the way the wood is cut.

All of this matters.

Thus, sometimes, even in the case of a Intermediate to High End instrument, you can have a bad neck. What can then be expected of an entry level GSR200?

What I would expect is that one might occasionally find a perfect neck.
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
Quote by d3rpyy2
lol so my bass is shit

Not necessarily. If it is dead spots in the neck, you could try adding some weight to the headstock.
I have an LP copy that had a bit of a dead spot on the G string on the 5th to 7th fret. I found that taping a dead 9v battery to the back of the headstock fixed the problem.

Obviously, this isn't a wonder-solution and might not fix your problem, but it's something that sometimes works.