Hi guys!
I'd like to know is there are Laley IRT30 owners in here that can tell me if this amp is good or bad, it if is worth it o no, how good is the speaker and if changing the stock one with a celestion 30 make this amp worth it!

Please, I hope you can answer as Im about to buy it but I cannot test it as there are no dealers near my city (I'm from Mexico)

I'm looking for a good amp with good cleans and metal distortion (I play Opeth kind of stuff mostly...)

As far as I know, this amp has good distortion for it and can also do some hard rock...!

So I hope you can help me with this hard decition!

THanks!
Is it possible that no one owns one of this amps
That makes me doubt about buying it :/
I only have the IRT-studio, which is essentially almost the same thing but only at 15 watts.

You should go check out at the dealer store yourself. I am sure you'll be glad you did.

It's still a relatively new amp so you're not gonna be able to find many here with experience with one.

They're only out for like, only 2 or 3 years.

So far I am happy with mine. I like the cleans and the drive.

They handle classic rock pretty well even though it's touted as a high gain amp.
Quote by sfx
I only have the IRT-studio, which is essentially almost the same thing but only at 15 watts.

You should go check out at the dealer store yourself. I am sure you'll be glad you did.

It's still a relatively new amp so you're not gonna be able to find many here with experience with one.

They're only out for like, only 2 or 3 years.

So far I am happy with mine. I like the cleans and the drive.

They handle classic rock pretty well even though it's touted as a high gain amp.

Hi! Thanks for the reply man!

Sadly, there are no dealers near my citi (I'm from Mexico)
The closest store I know that could have some to test is like 20 hours from my city on bus... so it's not that easy for me due to work...

I'd like to ask you, what do you think of the distortion chanel? is it good? does it really handles metal? I'm looking for an Opeth kind of distortion and sound... do you think it'll handle it? I've also heard that the reverb and boost are not that good but that's something I can live with... on the other hand, I also read that the FX loop is noisy... is it?

Please, I hope you can help me with this, if possible I'd like to read your opinions about it.

Thanks!
There're plenty videos on youtube for metal on the ironheart even though I don't play metal. It should be heavy enough. I am more to classic to harder rock style.

The reverb is ok for me, but I have various reverb pedals I can stick in the loop. The loop is not noisy. It's all an issue of how clean the pedal power supply is when used with the effects loop.

The boost is decent. The people who complain about it and use it with a ts808 usually just want a mid hump, they complain there's a lack of mids. The ts808 boost has a mid hump so that's why the boost is not the same as the one built into the amp, which does not give you a mid hump.

You can just eq for it or stick an EQ pedal and raise the mids.

My only minor complaints are the EQ section is a little subtle, but I think this has to do with me not raising the amp's volume loud enough to hear the difference since I am mostly on 1 watt setting for bedroom use. That and I am not using the recommended cabinet that comes with it. I am using a cheap kustom defender open back cab, so it's not as tight sounding as what metal players want.

You really should try out the amp yourself to get a feel, because what you want may not be what people who bought the amp want it for.
Last edited by sfx at Sep 21, 2015,
Quote by sfx
There're plenty videos on youtube for metal on the ironheart even though I don't play metal. It should be heavy enough. I am more to classic to harder rock style.

The reverb is ok for me, but I have various reverb pedals I can stick in the loop. The loop is not noisy. It's all an issue of how clean the pedal power supply is when used with the effects loop.

The boost is decent. The people who complain about it and use it with a ts808 usually just want a mid hump, they complain there's a lack of mids. The ts808 boost has a mid hump so that's why the boost is not the same as the one built into the amp, which does not give you a mid hump.

You can just eq for it or stick an EQ pedal and raise the mids.

My only minor complaints are the EQ section is a little subtle, but I think this has to do with me not raising the amp's volume loud enough to hear the difference since I am mostly on 1 watt setting for bedroom use. That and I am not using the recommended cabinet that comes with it. I am using a cheap kustom defender open back cab, so it's not as tight sounding as what metal players want.

You really should try out the amp yourself to get a feel, because what you want may not be what people who bought the amp want it for.

Hard decision there my friend...
It's way too hard for me to test it, and to travel 20 hours to try it and another 20 back to my city its way to hard for me... (also a bit expensive)

Do you think 15w is way to loud? I'll use it almost home 95% of the time for bedroom practice, I actually use a Marshal Class 5 and with full volume its loud but I don't know if 30w its loud to the point of being annoying for the neighbours...
Quote by carpercen
Hard decision there my friend...
It's way too hard for me to test it, and to travel 20 hours to try it and another 20 back to my city its way to hard for me... (also a bit expensive)

Do you think 15w is way to loud? I'll use it almost home 95% of the time for bedroom practice, I actually use a Marshal Class 5 and with full volume its loud but I don't know if 30w its loud to the point of being annoying for the neighbours...

I wouldn't worry about the volume as the amp comes with powerscaling/attenuator knob.

Can't tell you if the amp will sound right for you. YOu'll just have to depend on the youtube videos, and actually go there to try out yourself.

You can also download the manual and read it first to get an idea.
Last edited by sfx at Sep 21, 2015,
The IRT30 should fit you just fine. Just make sure the store you order from has a good return policy
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
The IRT30 should fit you just fine. Just make sure the store you order from has a good return policy

Sadly... I haven't find a single store in Mexico with return policy... it's a risky shot haha!
Quote by carpercen
Sadly... I haven't find a single store in Mexico with return policy... it's a risky shot haha!

Where in Mexico are you? If your closer to the US boarder it might be worth a trip over here to visit one of the big chain stores like Guitar Center or Sam Ash.

Also some of the US web sites will ship to Mexico
www.musiciansfriend.com
www.guitarcenter.com
www.zzounds.com
www.123music.com
www.americanmusicalsuply.com
www.musicgoround.com

You could also buy used from guitarcenter and have it shipped to the closest store to you in the US if the trip isn't too far.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Where in Mexico are you? If your closer to the US boarder it might be worth a trip over here to visit one of the big chain stores like Guitar Center or Sam Ash.

Also some of the US web sites will ship to Mexico
www.musiciansfriend.com
www.guitarcenter.com
www.zzounds.com
www.123music.com
www.americanmusicalsuply.com
www.musicgoround.com

You could also buy used from guitarcenter and have it shipped to the closest store to you in the US if the trip isn't too far.

I'd die to go to any of those stores man!
But i live in the oposite side, the south border near Guatemala and Belice, Campeche is where I live!
Quote by carpercen
I'd die to go to any of those stores man!
But i live in the oposite side, the south border near Guatemala and Belice, Campeche is where I live!

OK, just trying to give you some options.

Like I said those stores will ship to Mexico, so it still may be worth looking at them online.

So you live in the Yucatan, that has got to be some great surf there. What about some of the near by bigger citys? It may be a good idea to do some research on the music stores in some of the closer city's to you.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
OK, just trying to give you some options.

Like I said those stores will ship to Mexico, so it still may be worth looking at them online.

So you live in the Yucatan, that has got to be some great surf there. What about some of the near by bigger citys? It may be a good idea to do some research on the music stores in some of the closer city's to you.

Yes I want to! Yucatan has more options but to find things like Laney, Blackstar, Mesa Boogie you have to travel to the Middle to North states of the country which right now is not an option for me due to work...

What I wanted to know also is if in the price range of the IRT30 it is the best option or if there are better things I could get.
I was offered a Carvin V3M in the same price range but I've heard that it is "fizzy" when distorted which I don't know the correct translation to spanish but I took it like noisy...

Also I've heard it sounds very compressed so I don't know...

I wanted a MiniRectifier as it is the only one I'd feel comfortable buying blind but it's price is too much for what I can pay... (not the best moment for Mexico in terms of echonomy right now...)
Quote by carpercen
Yes I want to! Yucatan has more options but to find things like Laney, Blackstar, Mesa Boogie you have to travel to the Middle to North states of the country which right now is not an option for me due to work...

What I wanted to know also is if in the price range of the IRT30 it is the best option or if there are better things I could get.
I was offered a Carvin V3M in the same price range but I've heard that it is "fizzy" when distorted which I don't know the correct translation to spanish but I took it like noisy...

Also I've heard it sounds very compressed so I don't know...

I wanted a MiniRectifier as it is the only one I'd feel comfortable buying blind but it's price is too much for what I can pay... (not the best moment for Mexico in terms of echonomy right now...)

What about the 5150 III 1x12 combo?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
A quick google search provided this - http://www.laney-posse.co.uk/theposse/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=f3385d5f3e82cd70294c6d98de8d1b83

They may be able to answer your question better.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Derp, I forgot to reply in this thread earlier - I have the 60W Ironheart head along with the IRT112 cab, so I guess it comes close to the combo. (I just got it back recently because there was an issue which turned out to be simply a bad tube, I just fucked up badly trying to swap it.)

I really love this amp, it's definitely metal-oriented but it really is versatile - it allows for some pretty crushing metal tones (personally I look for more modern, slightly "djenty" kind of tone, but I'm pretty sure it can do many other things than that), but it really sounds good on all stages of gain, and I'm equally in love with the clean channel. I have no idea if it's a true '60s vintage tone, but it's very well-balanced - reasonably bright, but still quite deep without getting too bassy. (It even sounds really pretty on the low notes in drop A tuning.)

The two channels + boost allow for a pretty insane number of different settings (note: the Lead and Rhythm channels are essentially identical, if you EQ them the same way they will sound the same - it's just that the rhythm channel shares EQ with clean), personally I use the "lead" for full-on high gain metal tone and "rhythm" for more of a medium-gain kind of rock tone, and you can get some cool in-between options adding the boost.

The boost indeed doesn't tighten, it just adds gain, but I love what it does with the clean channel. The reverb is very usable, it's nothing spectacular but it just sounds pretty and useful (and it's a room/hall reverb, not a spring-type reverb - which I really like, I dislike spring reverb).

And yeah, the "watts" knob is seriously awesome - turned all the way down it's just perfect for practice at home, allows for really fine-tuning the volume and gain. I can imagine what it sounds like with all 60W though. Besides that, there's lots of subtleties - every EQ knob has a push-pull kind of thing, which alters the tone a little bit.

I know I might have gone into a slightly fanboy-ish tone in this post, but well, I can definitely recommend it, especially if metal is the main focus but you're looking for versatility.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
There's no point in trying to convince a moron.
Last edited by TheLiberation at Sep 21, 2015,
Quote by TheLiberation
Derp, I forgot to reply in this thread earlier - I have the 60W Ironheart head along with the IRT112 cab, so I guess it comes close to the combo. (I just got it back recently because there was an issue which turned out to be simply a bad tube, I just fucked up badly trying to swap it.)

I really love this amp, it's definitely metal-oriented but it really is versatile - it allows for some pretty crushing metal tones (personally I look for more modern, slightly "djenty" kind of tone, but I'm pretty sure it can do many other things than that), but it really sounds good on all stages of gain, and I'm equally in love with the clean channel. I have no idea if it's a true '60s vintage tone, but it's very well-balanced - reasonably bright, but still quite deep without getting too bassy. (It even sounds really pretty on the low notes in drop A tuning.)

The two channels + boost allow for a pretty insane number of different settings (note: the Lead and Rhythm channels are essentially identical, if you EQ them the same way they will sound the same - it's just that the rhythm channel shares EQ with clean), personally I use the "lead" for full-on high gain metal tone and "rhythm" for more of a medium-gain kind of rock tone, and you can get some cool in-between options adding the boost.

The boost indeed doesn't tighten, it just adds gain, but I love what it does with the clean channel. The reverb is very usable, it's nothing spectacular but it just sounds pretty and useful (and it's a room/hall reverb, not a spring-type reverb - which I really like, I dislike spring reverb).

And yeah, the "watts" knob is seriously awesome - turned all the way down it's just perfect for practice at home, allows for really fine-tuning the volume and gain. I can imagine what it sounds like with all 60W though. Besides that, there's lots of subtleties - every EQ knob has a push-pull kind of thing, which alters the tone a little bit.

I know I might have gone into a slightly fanboy-ish tone in this post, but well, I can definitely recommend it, especially if metal is the main focus but you're looking for versatility.

Thank you so much man! Im about to order it! I hope it arrives soon because I want to test if a full tube distortion from the amp fixes my guitars wolftone, if not... I'll have to send it back to see what can be done with it!

So wish me good luck! And thanks bro!
I found an ENGL Gigmaster 30 at half its normal price... can someone tell me if it is a better option?
I read somewhere it isnt 100% tube amp, but and hybrid with solid state components on the preamp
It really depends on whether you like it or not, man.

If you're looking for the Opeth-y tone I wouldn't advise you going for it as ENGL tends to be compressed as hell (even the all-tube, can't imagine it getting any better in a hybrid) and not nearly as pleasant as the Laney.

As TheLiberation said, Ironhearts are powerful and great sounding little things; I had the chance to try one out and, had I been able to afford it, it would grace my bedroom space right now.

Also I just remembered you're a fellow countryman ¿te has comunicado con Veerkamp? hasta donde recuerdo hacen envíos a todo el país, manejan la mayor parte de la linea de Laney y hasta puedes obtener una garantía con ellos por si algo no sale bien (posterior al envío y eso) ¡Mucha suerte con tu decisión!
ceci n'est pas un guitariste.
Quote by wobi_vengeance
It really depends on whether you like it or not, man.

If you're looking for the Opeth-y tone I wouldn't advise you going for it as ENGL tends to be compressed as hell (even the all-tube, can't imagine it getting any better in a hybrid) and not nearly as pleasant as the Laney.

As TheLiberation said, Ironhearts are powerful and great sounding little things; I had the chance to try one out and, had I been able to afford it, it would grace my bedroom space right now.

Also I just remembered you're a fellow countryman ¿te has comunicado con Veerkamp? hasta donde recuerdo hacen envíos a todo el país, manejan la mayor parte de la linea de Laney y hasta puedes obtener una garantía con ellos por si algo no sale bien (posterior al envío y eso) ¡Mucha suerte con tu decisión!

Hey master! Que genial!

Jajaja si de hecho precisamente con Veerkamp estoy tratándolo ya que tienen un 20% de descuento de aquí al 30 de septiembre, por eso mi urgencia de dejar todo listo jajaja!
Y pues en eso andamos, no soy un experto en esto de los amplificadores por eso no quiero tomar la decisión incorrecta al respecto!

Por ejemplo, el cabezal de 60 solo está como mil pesos más caro que el combo de 30... pero sinceramente no creo verme en la situación de necesitar los 60 watts... Tal vez ni siquiera aproveche los 30 del combo, pero tendría más headroom controlándolo con el volumen de cada canal claro está, o si no pues también usando el atenuador de watts que trae para tocar en casa!

Lo que tenía en mente es comprar el combo y meterle una vintage 30 (hay unas a buen precio en mercado libre) y tal vez más adelante comprar una extensión de 8 ohms...

Solo espero no suene mal comparado con comprar el cabezal! Porque la verdad es que si me compro el cabezal no tendré para comprar un gabinete de aquí a dos meses y no tiene sentido así!

Cómo la ves carnal?

*** I'll try to translate everything for the english readers here cause otherwise I believe it would be disrecpectul for you guys...

What I'm telling him is that I'm buying it through Veerkamp as they have a 20% off until september 30th!
But i was wondering if the combo was the best option as the 60watts head is only 80 usd more expensive but, I don't have more money... so If I buy the head I wont be able to pay for a cab in at least 2 months...

What I have in mind is to buy the combo ($705 usd) change it's stock speaker for a celestion v30 (145 usd) and maybe later on buy another 8 ohms celestion v30 cab ( 290 usd) making a grand total of $1,140 usd against buying the head (765 usd) plus a 212 celestion v30 cab (600 usd), 1,365 usd...

that way I could save 220 usd apros... but I wont have to way like 2 or three months before I'm able to buy a cab... buyin the combo I can pay the the celestion v30 with my credit card and the extension cab well it could be anytime if I feel that I need it!

As I'll be using my gear mostly at home I guess this is the best option, wht do you think guys?

By the way... how hard is to change a speaker? I saw a video of a guy changing the stock speaker on a blackstar ht 20 but is it the same procedure in all the amps?
Changing the speaker is usually a 5 minute job, consisting of detaching the speaker leads, unbolting the speaker and reversing the sequence with the other speaker.

On some amps the speaker leads are soldered on, so add 2 minutes...

And thanks for the translation, that was very courteous!!
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Changing the speaker is usually a 5 minute job, consisting of detaching the speaker leads, unbolting the speaker and reversing the sequence with the other speaker.

On some amps the speaker leads are soldered on, so add 2 minutes...

And thanks for the translation, that was very courteous!!

Sure man!

By the way guys... I just received an offer rightnow...
A guys is selling an used Blackstar HT 40, the one with the celestion v30 edition and at the same price as the Laney irt30...

Don't know what to do...
I cant test them so this is a mess..

Pros on the Blackstar: 40w, Celestion V30
Cons: it's used so no warranty, hybrid amp

Pros on the Laney, 3 channels, 100% tube amp (I guess...), I have a warranty...
Cons: I really don't know just what people says about the FX loop and boost...

And by the way bro, I don't know anything about speakers or elecricity... do you think I'll be able to change the Laney speaker by my self?
^ never played the Blackstar, but as for the IRT, the boost is very usable (it's just not the Tubescreamer type of boost used to tighten a high-gain tone), and I use the FX loop a lot as I'm a reverb and delay addict and it works great. (Again, I have the IRT60 head but I don't see how it could be any different on smaller versions)
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
There's no point in trying to convince a moron.
Quote by carpercen
Sure man!

By the way guys... I just received an offer rightnow...
A guys is selling an used Blackstar HT 40, the one with the celestion v30 edition and at the same price as the Laney irt30...

Don't know what to do...
I cant test them so this is a mess..

Pros on the Blackstar: 40w, Celestion V30
Cons: it's used so no warranty, hybrid amp

Pros on the Laney, 3 channels, 100% tube amp (I guess...), I have a warranty...
Cons: I really don't know just what people says about the FX loop and boost...

And by the way bro, I don't know anything about speakers or elecricity... do you think I'll be able to change the Laney speaker by my self?

In your situation I'd get the Laney and yes, if you can pee without hitting your feet you can probably change the speaker. It really is that easy.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
In your situation I'd get the Laney and yes, if you can pee without hitting your feet you can probably change the speaker. It really is that easy.

And if you had to choose between laney and carvin v3m?
Quote by carpercen

I'd choose the warranty, but that's a tough one.
Charles Darwin
Quote by carpercen

I'm not a big fan of the V3m, but it has a lot of features that could be really useful for you in the future.

I*t really comes down to what was already said, do you want an warranty or not
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
thanks to all of you guys! You've helped me a lot!
Just one more doubt before I pull the trigger... I've heard that closed backs are better for metal... does someone know if the IRT30 is open or close?
Judging by the pictures of it... seems to be open, right? I'm not sure... But does it mean that If I buy it it won't be 100% good for metal?

I'd like to buy an extension cab, Orange PPC112 to be precise, so please help me understand this... If I plug the ext cab into the combo, I'll be running to speakers at once... will it be the same as If I were playing head + 212 cab? or it doesn't works like that?

Is there too much difference for metal between open and closed backs? running the open back combo + closed back extension back is a good idea?
or should I get the studio or 60h version and buy a 212 cab?
Quote by carpercen
thanks to all of you guys! You've helped me a lot!
Just one more doubt before I pull the trigger... I've heard that closed backs are better for metal... does someone know if the IRT30 is open or close?
Judging by the pictures of it... seems to be open, right? I'm not sure... But does it mean that If I buy it it won't be 100% good for metal?

I'd like to buy an extension cab, Orange PPC112 to be precise, so please help me understand this... If I plug the ext cab into the combo, I'll be running to speakers at once... will it be the same as If I were playing head + 212 cab? or it doesn't works like that?

Is there too much difference for metal between open and closed backs? running the open back combo + closed back extension back is a good idea?
or should I get the studio or 60h version and buy a 212 cab?

The combo is very likely partially open back to allow cooling/ventilation for the tubes.

To get the tight closed back sound you'll either close it or put it where the wall is behind it, but it might obstruct air flow for the tube's cooling.

Except for certain combo tube amps with only 1 power amp tubes, if you have a few more, depending on design, combo amps will have to open partially.

I'll be more concerned about the vibration eventually making some parts go loose though.

I'll rather get the head and then make sure it sits on foam pads on all 4 corners on top of the cabinet and leave the other areas non-contacting the cabinet to minimize vibration from the speakers, which is what I am doing for my IRT-studio.
Quote by sfx
The combo is very likely partially open back to allow cooling/ventilation for the tubes.

To get the tight closed back sound you'll either close it or put it where the wall is behind it, but it might obstruct air flow for the tube's cooling.

Except for certain combo tube amps with only 1 power amp tubes, if you have a few more, depending on design, combo amps will have to open partially.

I'll be more concerned about the vibration eventually making some parts go loose though.

I'll rather get the head and then make sure it sits on foam pads on all 4 corners on top of the cabinet and leave the other areas non-contacting the cabinet to minimize vibration from the speakers, which is what I am doing for my IRT-studio.

What are you impressions of the IRT studio metal wise?
Is the 15w plug to loud? can I play in the 15w mode at bedroom volume?
Quote by carpercen
What are you impressions of the IRT studio metal wise?
Is the 15w plug to loud? can I play in the 15w mode at bedroom volume?

15W bedroom level yes very loud but Nooooo I don't play at that in bedroom.

1 watt is what I use for bedroom and even then the volume is not even at 50 percent. *lol*

If you're gigging and need clean headroom, the 30w is more logical choice.

If you don't play clean and still want to gig, the 15w is more than enough.

If you intend to gig later after getting the 15w and need more volume, just buy a laney IRT-X to extend the existing rig's headroom and volume, by up to 200 watts if you add extension cabinet.
Last edited by sfx at Sep 26, 2015,
Quote by sfx
15W bedroom level yes very loud but Nooooo I don't play at that in bedroom.

1 watt is what I use for bedroom and even then the volume is not even at 50 percent. *lol*

If you're gigging and need clean headroom, the 30w is more logical choice.

If you don't play clean and still want to gig, the 15w is more than enough.

If you intend to gig later after getting the 15w and need more volume, just buy a laney IRT-X to extend the existing rig's headroom and volume, by up to 200 watts if you add extension cabinet.

EDITED

But the combo is open back and that's what worries me... if I run a closed back extension cab 112, do you think this would improve it?

But now also worries me what you said about vibrations hurting the amp...

Rigth now I dont gig... I want it for bedroom practice but Im in the procees of creating a band and I want the gear to be good enough to band rehearsals and maybe small gigs

By the way, Actually yes! I do need the clean headroom!
Last edited by carpercen at Sep 26, 2015,
What are the risks of buying a combo? I'm talking about that issue of vibration making things go lose!