Hi all, I'm looking for a vintage tremolo (Strat style) tremolo plate with a block, as I intend to purchase saddles separately. I'm going for the sort of 70's brass look, but with minor changes. Essentially, I'm looking for a regular steel chrome base plate, preferably already with a block. I've dug up a site that sells un-polished, non-plated brass saddles. As for the trem arm, I'm looking for one much like the old Charvel ones (chrome arm, but brass tip)

As the saddles are fairly expensive on their own, I'm looking for the baseplate and block fairly cheap. What would you guys recommend? Items that are available on Amazon are preferable.

Since I want a steel base plate, instead of a complete brass tremolo, minor details are not a problem (ie bent arm as opposed to straight arm [which is preferable anyway ])

I'm aware I can get an NOS charvel trem for $150, but a) that's more than I want to spend, and b) like I said, I want a steel, chrome plated base plate.

Here's one of those old Charvel trems, with the arm that has a brass tip:
Last edited by guitar42697 at Sep 18, 2015,
i'd say your best bet is ebay in all honesty for truly vintage stuff. I got some sprague bumblebee capacitors from 1956-1959 era for next to nothing online during this storm/hurricane in the states. Not like the reissues gibson tries to sell that aren't truly bumblebees like in the 1959 les paul everyone thinks they need.

But the other options are either getting a re-issue made by a reputable company as gibson for example loves to live in the past to certain other companies like to live in the past or cater towards the older guitars. Schaller has the vintage tremolo model with a bit of relicing is another idea. The les paul forum talks all about how to properly relic parts without us having to wait on someone to post which is nice. This way you avoid all the eye gouging prices as assembling a tremolo from vintage parts and factoring in shipping is outrageous. 9/10 times back when I used to buy and sell guitars I'd just get new tremolos for example.

For the baseplate and all though i'm curious if you can get one by itself. As long as you get the right measurements it can be recent and still work. For the sake of tone steel or brass is your go to for the block. I've never heard any accentuation on types of bridge saddles like say for example just graphite (graphtech) , steel and so forth is usually the only accentuation.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Sep 18, 2015,
Quote by Tallwood13
i'd say your best bet is ebay in all honesty for truly vintage stuff. I got some sprague bumblebee capacitors from 1956-1959 era for next to nothing online during this storm/hurricane in the states. Not like the reissues gibson tries to sell that aren't truly bumblebees like in the 1959 les paul everyone thinks they need.

But the other options are either getting a re-issue made by a reputable company as gibson for example loves to live in the past to certain other companies like to live in the past or cater towards the older guitars. Schaller has the vintage tremolo model with a bit of relicing is another idea. The les paul forum talks all about how to properly relic parts without us having to wait on someone to post which is nice. This way you avoid all the eye gouging prices as assembling a tremolo from vintage parts and factoring in shipping is outrageous. 9/10 times back when I used to buy and sell guitars I'd just get new tremolos for example.

For the baseplate and all though i'm curious if you can get one by itself. As long as you get the right measurements it can be recent and still work. For the sake of tone steel or brass is your go to for the block. I've never heard any accentuation on types of bridge saddles like say for example just graphite (graphtech) , steel and so forth is usually the only accentuation.

It doesn't have to be vintage parts, and I'm starting to think about just going for one of the Guitar Fetish import trems (I haven't got a clue what this guitar is, and neither has anyone I've talked to, but it's some sort of Japanese strat copy with weird, non standard dimensions, so, in essence, I'll be filling and redrilling holes no matter what. 10.5mm string spacing is the closest I can get to whats already on there (something around 10.2 or 10.3)

I thought about going for the Gotoh relic-ed vintage trem, but I'd rather start with a new piece, so I can match it, it's not very aged looking when considering it's actual age (I'm going to guess it was made sometime around '75 (was purchased second hand by my dad in '81)