Should I ask/force my parents to kick my brother's girlfriend (and her animals) out?

Poll: should i
Poll Options
View poll results: should i
yes
15 63%
no
1 4%
l0l you must smell
8 33%
Voters: 24.
Page 1 of 2
Here's the situation. My family have always been animal lovers (particularly of the canines) and I used to care for them too. The highest animal count we've had before the following events was 7. The more we kept pushing beyond 2 or 3, all the way to insanity at 7, I started to dislike dogs more and more. Also I still live with my parents and my brother.

A few years ago, my brother (age 25 now) meets this girl (like age 23? idk) on the internet. They start virtu-dating and I guess it got pretty serious, because she wanted to see him. She lived in Ohio, but my brother and I live in North Carolina. Eventually she moves down here with us. Along with her are 2 cats. Just 2 cats.

But slowly she starts introducing more animals. A time or two they found a dog on the side of the road. Sometimes people wanted us to dog-sit or cat-sit for them but never came back to get their animal. My brother and his girlfriend did manage to give some of them away. But often she would just get a dog and it would stay. They would say that they were trying to give them away to a good home, but the majority of the animals haven't moved in a few years.

But it wasn't just dogs. It was cats too. I don't know how but she ended up bringing cat after cat into the house. 3 of them ran away, and good for them. And she has in a parakeet now as well that has the worst screech you could imagine, and it doesn't matter what time of day. It will sqwuak 24/7. That goes for the dogs too. And the cats will often scamper about late at night too, as well as fighting, etc.

She has a mouse in as well, there were two but one died. She has had in multiple rats, legitimate rats not mice, to stay for a while as well. Dunno how they got rid of those.

But here is where it gets depressing and annoying. Somewhere in all these animals, they both decide to move back up to Ohio and they take whatever animals they had with them. I think they just had a dog and 2 cats at the time, it was still fairly early in this mess. But while he was up there my brother develops Ulcerative Colitis. He has to move back down to NC and she moves back down again. So her animal repertoire starts building.

Present day, my brother's girlfriend isn't even staying at my house most of the time. She stays with a friend or works at a vet hospital. Maybe averaging an hour every day. She doesn't even pay rent, and as far as I know she doesn't pay for the animal's food or care. In fact, my brother is the one having to clean up after all the animals every day. In the morning the floor is covered in cat crap, cat throw-up, dog poo, pee, etc. from the night. My dad cleans up and walks the animals as well, but he works all day. My brother doesn't. I can't even change the channels on the T.V. or sit in the living room or else I'll be touching animal excrement of some sort. I'm not helping because I'm salty about this situation, and they are not my animals. My room is pet-free. In fact we had to get hard flooring because our carpet was so bad.

The animals we have in the house that belong to my brother's girlfriend, and are rightly her responsibility, total 13. 3 dogs, 8 cats, a smelly mouse, and a parakeet that should be strangled. In fact I asked her why she still has the parakeet. "Because she's sweet", she replied. She does very little for those animals care, if anything.

Total animals in our house hold is 17. The highest we have had at one time is 21. We have had around 30 dogs/cats stay for some period of time. 17 of those are still here. All in a house not too much bigger than a trailer. 2 of the dogs that are not my brother's girlfriend's are very old, they should be put down.

But there is more to this story. Since my brother has UC, he had to move down here. So his girlfriend is kinda locked down here as well. But I think my brother knows good and well that if he pushes her to get the animals out, they will break up and he'll never find another girl that "accepts" him and his condition. Their relationship isn't that good. A kind of relationship where you "propose" but never really do anything. He's made himself a tool. And what's even worse, is that my parents know that too, so they never say anything to his girlfriend so that she won't move back to Ohio, possibly making my brother move as well.

It would seem that she is using my brother to keep her animals at our house, and accesses them whenever she pleases but never takes care of them herself. She knows this complex as well as I do. Most of the time she never even pays attention to the cats, just the dogs every now and again.

I've explained to my parents that they don't have to put up with this, that they have the power to tell her to take her animals elsewhere. But they are afraid. And of course my brother is too, afraid of loosing the only bit of romantic love he has.

Also now I really don't like animals. If they are other people's nice animals I don't mind too much but I really can't stand it when their animal is all over the place. I don't like having animal hair on me at all, nor do I want to sit where an animal has. Every time I touch a dog or cat I wash my hands immediately afterwards. The worst are the slobbery, excited ones. It's like they know how much I hate it.

tl;dr brother's girlfriend keeps her animals at my brother's and my house, but doesn't care for the animals herself.
Last edited by Will Lane at Sep 18, 2015,
Open a Korean restaurant. You get rid of the animals, and turn a tidy profit.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Yeah because your house is a home for humans not an animal sanctuary

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Yeah because your house is a home for humans not an animal sanctuary
tbh I'm curious if we could compete with the SPCA.
Don't throw her out but you need to force her to stop taking in so many animals and then you need to tell me how you did it because I need to do the same with my mum.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Your parents own the house, name is on lease, whatever.
That makes it their rules/responsibility.
If you don't pay rent, you will have little say in the matter.

There are other females out there, and your brother would find another one eventually.

Your only option seems to be to move out.

I dunno about where you live, but most everyplace I have lived, there is a legal limit on the number of dogs or cats you can have.
The average I have seen is 3.
Anymore than that and you need a permit.
And that means an inspection of the house.
I know I've been there. My wife and I had 14 cats at one time, and when the inspector came, he said that our cats were treated better than most people treat their kids.

And my mom has a parrot.
God, that thing is fvcking annoying!!!!
And like 8 dogs. High strung Yorkshire terriers. Noisy little bastards.
What is wrong with rats vs. mice???? I hate how people are so horribly prejudiced against rats.
cat
I always liked rats better, mice are small and annoying, rats are awesome and much more docile.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Was/is she one of those awkward horse girls? Is your brother an uncomfortable car bro?
Before I got my first hamster I actually wanted a rat so I was looking for baby rats in pet forums (didn't find any) and everyone was like ew why do you want a rat
cat
Quote by Will Lane at #33601596
My family have always been animal lovers

gross
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by guitarxo
What is wrong with rats vs. mice???? I hate how people are so horribly prejudiced against rats.

I had 2 pet rats when I was a kid.
Affectionate little creatures they were.
Ok i have only read part of the post as I'm quite tired and drunk at this time.

Have a limit on how many cats and dogs she can have.I would say 2 small\medium size dogs and 3 cats tops.Cats are very independent and easy to look after.I have 4 and look after the neighbours and they are no hassle.Feed twice a day and two litters cleared twice a week.Dogs are more work so no more than two only if someone can walk them daily.The rest of animals like birds or rodents try to rehome them as I doubt she bothers with them.

The main thing to remember its not the animals fault.Fair enough your not into animals but animal cruelty ****ing disgusts me.No need for it as lots of animals can easily be rehomed.But you have to drill into her head she can't bring anything back home.If she finds a abandoned dog or cat you can call local rescue\charitiys but don't take them as she has enough.
Last edited by smittyanthrax at Sep 18, 2015,
Do the bolded letters spell out a secret code? I can't be bothered to crack it.

You spelled channeled wrong in your code.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Sep 18, 2015,
Quote by theogonia777

Yophale

IDK, giving myself a headache looking for bolded letters.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Quote by Will Lane
Secret code

A poem.
Quote by yoman297

If you really wanted to do the yope shtick correctly, you probably should have used voice recognition so that your post won't make sense in a few passages.
Put the animals back where she found them.

I hate dogs, loud annoying dipshits. There's 2 I have to deal with, but I hardly acknowledge their existence.

I do have 3 cats, one sleeps in my room all day, one is only indoors for maybe an hour a day because I guess it has shit to do outside, one sleeps in my brothers room. So they don't bother me either, if they did, I'd just sit them outside.
Quote by slapsymcdougal at #33601603

Brilliant.

I thought this would be another Yope thread though
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Aeolian Harmony
Was/is she one of those awkward horse girls? Is your brother an uncomfortable car bro?
Good memory of that thread and my response. Yes she is. In fact she has ridden her horse a few miles away from the barn to our house, and back again, all while my brother cruises behind her in a vehicle with hazard lights on. On a public highway. He is kind of a car guy as well, but more like browsing through craigslist all day looking at cars he can't afford.
Quote by theogonia777

I did not. Also you can just quote the OP to see where all the bolding code is.
ʎodǝ ᴉs loʌǝ ʎodǝ ᴉs lᴉɟǝ
Quote by MakinLattes
Have you approached his girlfriend about regulating her animal usage?
I can't as I don't really have any say on what happens to the house, parents own it. Although I am really tempted to say something anyway, à la this thread.
Last edited by Will Lane at Sep 19, 2015,
Quote by MakinLattes
Have you approached his girlfriend about regulating her animal usage?

OP's family is just using too many kilokitten-hours.
Quote by Will Lane
Good memory of that thread and my response. Yes she is. In fact she has ridden her horse a few miles away from the barn to our house, and back again, all while my brother cruises behind her in a vehicle with hazard lights on. On a public highway. He is kind of a car guy as well, but more like browsing through craigslist all day looking at cars he can't afford.

Fucking perfect
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Quote by Will Lane

What cloying beautiful angst, indeterminate and painfully clear both, have they found themselves in?. Two lonely star-crossed lovers saddled with their pasts, their exotic public pony affair a metaphor for the inconstancy and incompatibility of love. Coming soon straight to DVD.
Quote by Aeolian Harmony at #33601793

Quote by Will Lane at #33602501

Why would your parents be afraid? Seems like they dig this girl and there pets, or else trying to make your brother happy. It's their house.
Don't listen to these people saying that it's your parents house so they can do whatever. They forced you into existence and as such you have every right to tell them they're being dipshits
Quote by GuitarGod_92
Don't listen to these people saying that it's your parents house so they can do whatever. They forced you into existence and as such you have every right to tell them they're being dipshits

And they have every right to ignore him or give him the boot..

He has no leverage in this argument
Quote by GuitarGod_92 at #33603461

He's living with them, though. Once he stops doing that, he will have every right to inform them of their dipshittitude.
Quote by jugglingfreak
You can't force your parents to do anything.

Your options are deal with it or move out.

3rd option: respectfully and politely share your frustration while respecting their right to decide how they want to operate their home like a well-adjusted adult
move out as soon as you can

marry a woman that hates animals too

live a life without animal shit everywhere
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
He's living with them, though. Once he stops doing that, he will have every right to inform them of their dipshittitude.

Nah that's dumb as hell as parents theyre obligated to not make his life shit
Quote by GuitarGod_92 at #33603855
Nah that's dumb as hell as parents theyre obligated to not make his life shit

That's pretty rare and as an adult he should do the normal, reasonable thing and ignore his parents until they're dead.
Page 1 of 2