https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXn1xavynj8

Description:

American Reflexxx is a short film documenting a social experiment that took place in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. Director Alli Coates captured performance artist Signe Pierce as she strutted down a busy oceanside street in stripper garb and a reflective mask. The pair agreed not to communicate until the experiment was completed, but never anticipated the horror that would unfold in under an hour.

The result is a heart wrenching technicolor spectacle that raises questions about gender stereotypes, mob mentality, and violence in America.

This disturbed the shit out of me.

EDIT - An interview with the creators:

http://www.artnews.com/2015/05/04/we-didnt-set-out-to-make-a-piece-about-dehumanization-mob-mentality-or-violence-alli-coates-and-signe-pierce-talk-american-reflexxx/
Last edited by Blacknoise at Sep 19, 2015,
so basically people start to lose their shit if a person's face is concealed?

EDIT: oh i see
Last edited by Banjocal at Sep 19, 2015,
anyone got a tl;dw?
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

people react weird when people are doing weird things?

water is wet
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Quote by Trowzaa at #33602573
anyone got a tl;dw?

Girl acts weird. Gets pushed. All edited like a dubstep song
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
#americans
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Give masks (semblance of anonymity) to members of the crowd following her around and watch the stupidity, sexism, and violence ratchet up further. Or make the crowd larger (diffuse responsibility) for the same effect. It's horrible that it happens, but it's not too difficult to produce a situation like this one. They happen organically, too.
this is dumb. i'm not really sure I can value it at all. basically like the ghetto pranks where an idiot says a racist thing and gets wrecked. like, yeah.

hooray society?
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Fat Lard
This is why we need Individualism.

No, this is why you need a better education system.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by Baby Joel
this is dumb. i'm not really sure I can value it at all. basically like the ghetto pranks where an idiot says a racist thing and gets wrecked. like, yeah.

hooray society?

It is nothing like that. This is literally a bunch of people proving how we fear the unknown.
They say "horror" like she got genocide'd or something. Some fat lady shoved her, okay.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Rossenrot
Video didn't succeed at whatever it was trying to do.

Not at all. They went to film a cyborg in a tourist trap. Instead a violent moon formed.
Quote by EpiExplorer
No, this is why you need a better education system.

You can try all you want to save them, but they don't want it brah.

I'll just be over here transcending the sheep, extolling the individual with my noble feelings
Quote by Fat Lard
You can try all you want to save them, but they don't want it brah.

I'll just be over here transcending the sheep, extolling the individual with my noble feelings

Hippyyyyy *shake fist, grr grr*
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
At first I just thought this was fake or a really peculiar happening, but then a lot of you brought up how this is unsurprising / to be expected and it makes me seriously fear the world you live in.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by CodeMonk
So WTF was the point of that?
To show how ******ed people in South Carolina are?
Job well done then.

Hypothesis: Assholes gonna asshole

Method: Put one person in stripper shoes, a Chinese Daft Punk knockoff mask and not much else, and have an obvious camera follow them around until assholes asshole.

Result: Assholes were observed to asshole

Conclusion: Assholes.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Hypothesis: Assholes gonna asshole

Method: Put one person in stripper shoes, a Chinese Daft Punk knockoff mask and not much else, and have an obvious camera follow them around until assholes asshole.

Result: Assholes were observed to asshole

Conclusion: Assholes.

Its not just the assholes, like that fat bitch pushing the one in the mask.
That bitch was asshole squared.
She was really about the only asshole. Others were just stupid, the rest, well...
Its the way they were following her around like she had cotton candy and cocaine coming out of her ass.
Then running from her like she had Ebola.
Run, follow, run. follow, repeat.
That majority were the retards I was referring too.

If they tried that shit in Reno (where some odd things go on now and then on "the main strip", Virginia street), most people probably wouldn't bat an eye.
Reno was one of the locations of an episode of "Insomniac with Dave Attell".
I'd move back there if I and some money (its only about 60 miles away).
Its a cool place to live.

Its the retarded mob mentality/behavior thing that makes me go WTF?!?!?!
Last edited by CodeMonk at Sep 20, 2015,
Quote by CodeMonk
Its not just the assholes, like that fat bitch pushing the one in the mask.
That bitch was asshole squared.
She was really about the only asshole. Others were just stupid, the rest, well...
Its the way they were following her around like she had cotton candy and cocaine coming out of her ass.
Then running from her like she had Ebola.
Run, follow, run. follow, repeat.
That majority were the retards I was referring too.

If they tried that shit in Reno (where some odd things go on now and then on "the main strip", Virginia street), most people probably wouldn't bat an eye.
Reno was one of the locations of an episode of "Insomniac with Dave Attell".
I'd move back there if I and some money (its only about 60 miles away).
Its a cool place to live.

Its the retarded mob mentality/behavior thing that makes me go WTF?!?!?!

True. TBH, more than anything it reminded me of the way schoolkids act. They were waiting for someone to do what Fatty McAtealltheburgers did(or worse), so that they could then decide whether to laugh or join in.

Also, I'd never go to Reno, just in case someone shot me, just to watch me die.
I feel like most of the commentators in this thread have missed the point in this video and the message has just gone over your heads.

What was the main thing that people in the video were talking about when they were talking about the woman?

Read the description in my op.
Quote by Blacknoise
I feel like most of the commentators in this thread have missed the point in this video and the message has just gone over your heads.

What was the main thing that people in the video were talking about when they were talking about the woman?

No.
Quote by Blacknoise

many seemed to think "it" was a guy.
and i didn't miss it
Last edited by CodeMonk at Sep 20, 2015,