So I'm new to the whole electric guitar club, but I've done some research and found out some differences between the two, soundbut its always nice to get some direct feedbackfrom people. I've narrowed down to a HSS or an HH.

These are the candidates for each type (thats what my budget allows btw)

HSS: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier/Bullet-Stratocaster-HSS-Electric-Guitar-with-Tremolo.gc

HH: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier/Bullet-HH-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-with-Tremolo-H86831.gc

What i'd like is to sound similar to the guitarists from rock bands such as Imagine Dragons, Against The Current (if you know who they are), and even 5 seconds of summer. I've noticed that the guitarists in these bands are all using HH guitars with covered humbuckers. Im just wondering if theres a big difference between covered and open humbuckers. Also, i dont know, but the HH guitar from the link looks cheap, im just wondering if its really worth it compared to the HSS. What id like is to get the HH guitar, but the HSS looks to be more popular, dont know if maybe its bc the HH one us bad, idk. Also taking in mind that i did not see that HH guitar at my local guitar center, maybe bc people dont like it, i dont know. Also, some tips to someone used to acoustic guitar would be appreciated.

Sample music that id like my guitar to sound like:

Against the current: https://youtu.be/PvVhUo-PvVI

https://youtu.be/XOYA64szbmI

Imagine Dragons: https://youtu.be/D0gddT_DDzQ

https://youtu.be/qQrgto184Tk

https://youtu.be/ktvTqknDobU

5 seconds of summer: https://youtu.be/4Yy-waVJo_4
If it were me, I'd get the HSS, using the humbucker for the distorted tones, both lead and rhythm, and the single coils for the classic strat cleans (think RHCP songs like Snow or soul to squeeze). I've never been too crazy about humbuckers in the neck position.
very little if any difference between covered and uncovered humbuckers. apart from anything else, not all humbuckers are the same- there'll be far more difference between two different models of humbucker with different specs if they're both uncovered (or covered) than there will be between the same model of humbucker covered versus uncovered.

it's hard to know about HH versus HSS- personal preference plays a pretty big part. Just because your favourite players prefer HH doesn't mean you will. And just because they usually seem to use HH in videos or even live, in the studio they may well use anything. Plus as jmoarguitar implies, the bridge humbucker is the one which tends to be used far more often for heavier tones- that's not to say a neck humbucker is pointless (it's not), but the bridge humbucker is generally the main thing. Pretty much the HSS will give you more versatility in terms of being able to get some humbucker and also some single coil strat tones, but some people prefer HH, so it's hard to say.

I realise that's no help.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Im a HH guy, always have been, Ive owned SSS strats that lasted about 3 weeks with me cause of the single coils. That being said ive got a SS telecaster, but its got Hotrails in it so kinda like humbuckers.

As for the two guitars..
Whats your budget cause ive heard a lot of people say to not get a squier bullet guitar.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
^^^^ Single/series/parallel switching adds versatility so it's a toss up between that and the switching choices in HSS. I've tried all sorts of things, and can work pretty well with anything that is low output and bright. - You can always boost the signal or cut the top end if you need to.

I wouldn't buy covered humbuckers, or if I did I would take the covers off. I can't see any sense in losing top end if you don't have to. My experience is that something like Classic 57s sound fine until you try them clean next to comparable pickups without covers. However, if you only use overdriven sounds it wouldn't matter much.
Just for the record...I am not interested in a clear/crisp tone in an electric guitar. I want that rock feel. Hence HH.
Last edited by Gustavo48 at Sep 19, 2015,
HH with taps if you must. or as tony said as far as other wiring regarding series and parallel with a different switch.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Gustavo48
Just for the record...I am not interested in a clear/crisp tone in an electric guitar. I want that rock feel. Hence HH.

In that case maybe HH is right for you. Listen to Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Pride and Joy". If those tones don't appeal, then go HH. I say that since SRV is a perfect example of mildly overdriven single coils. If that's still too clean, then single coils probably aren't for you.
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
For me, there is far more that goes into the guitar buying decision that the pickup orientation... I currently own an HSS, HSH and HH guitar and the pickup design played no pert in why I own them. Neck radius, body composition, component quality, fretting, and tone were why I own what I own. I don't care if the guitar has one magnet half way up the neck if it'll play well and give me the tone I want. You can get dozens of different sounds by just changing a pickup. My single coil neck pickup on my jackson sounds light years different than it did on any fender I played. I have found that a budget guitar will sound and play like a budget guitar. I highly advocate for buying locally, not only supporting the little guy... but you can play what you're buying before you buy it. You'll know how comfortable you are with it, how it plays and sounds before you throw down dollars instead of guessing.
Last edited by Beakeroyeast at Sep 20, 2015,
I have a lot of HSH guitars; they're probably the most versatile in terms of pickup selection.

I usually have fairly simple controls: MV, MT and a 5-way. These are extended with a pair of miniswitches that select single coil/humbucking for each of the humbuckers, and with a "bridge pickup add-in" miniswitch that extends the sound choices even further.
Quote by Gustavo48
What would be the advantages of having an HH then?

Some people prefer the sound of a neck humbucker to a neck single coil. And the in-between setting (both humbuckers on at once, wired in parallel usually) sounds pretty sweet.

Also there's less of a volume discrepancy between the different pickups in an HH setup. In an HSS setup, normally the humbucker is a lot louder than the single coils (which with a clean tone means louder, and with a distorted tone normally means more distorted). Some people like this and use it to their advantage to get a range of different tones from the guitar (switching pickups can be almost like switching amp channels, or kicking on a boost pedal), but some people hate it and prefer to have similar outputs from all of their pickups.

Quote by Gustavo48

True, but as I said earlier, that "rock" tone you're talking about, more often than not at least, comes from the bridge humbucker. You can get that sound out of either guitar, in other words.

That being said, HH may well still be the safer choice if you're more into the rock stuff.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
it all comes down to the tones you want. i play strats with single coils and they have their purpose. i also have 2 humbucker guitars they serve their purpose. many like to solo with single coil pups in the neck but humbuckers will work fine to. the trick is to find balance in your amp. same goes with HSS. to much distortion will muddy up a neck humbucker fast on the other hand when switching from a bridge humbucker to a neck single coil you will lose some volume and distortion. really it comes down to your needs. if you don't really plan on using the neck pickup often then it may not matter either way. if you do then you have to ask yourself what tones are you most likely to need.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
What do you guys think of the squire hh then? Thats pretty much the best I can get with my budget.
That may be the best NEW guitar you can get on your budget- not sure if true- but I know you can do better if you are willing to buy used.

For example:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Godin/SDxt-Candy-Apple-Red-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 21, 2015,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
That may be the best NEW guitar you can get on your budget- not sure if true- but I know you can do better if you are willing to buy used.

I'm pretty ambivalent towards used at the best of times (which kind of makes me the odd one out most of the time ), but especially for a new player, it's even riskier.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I'm pretty ambivalent towards used at the best of times (which kind of makes me the odd one out most of the time ), but especially for a new player, it's even riskier.

well not really as long as some common sense is used. we all know that used will most likely result in a better guitar. for a beginner i'd highy recommend that they buy from a shop instead of a person so they have a bit of a warrenty. the other thing is to make sure there is some money in the budget for a good setup. if you go to a shop there will be other players that you can ask about any given guitar. usually someone will give you a couple of minutes for an opinion.

shiny and new is great but making your cash go further is even better. i've bought many guitars that were "new" looking at used prices.
Quote by Dave_Mc

True, but- as pointed out by monwobobbo- going through a store (with a return policy) greatly reduces the risk.

And generally speaking, a new cheap guitar will be less well-made than a used guitar of similar price. IME, at least.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 21, 2015,
^^^^ And therein lies a paradox. Cheapos of all kinds, be they new or used, are much better suited to experienced players/modders/builders than they are to the beginners at which that market is mostly targeted.

A compromise would be to take a more experienced person with you. To advise, but not browbeat you into something you don't really like!
I think it is a personal thing, but maybe someone can offer reasons against one or the other. from the specs - materials, looks, hard tail bridge and neck profil - it would be the Epi for me. But I would be installing a single/parallel/series switch in either of them.
The reason I asked the last question was because I ordered the HH squire online. But after some thinking and searching, I found the epiphone lp and to me it kind of looks as if it might be better. 50 dollars more, but if it's worth it if it indeed is better. Thoughts, anyone?
If you could have saved a little more money then you could have bought a used Epi or used MIM Fender, CV/VM Squier that would have been leaps and bounds above both those guitars. If you could have saved or splurged for the Epi that you linked, then chances are you could have saved to get the better guitar. That's just my $.02 though. Have you looked at the Rondo site yet? Not sure where you are located.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
I forgot to add in that I cancelled the order the order of the squire after the epi caught my attention. Now I'm just trying to make sure the epi is better than the squire.
Quote by monwobobbo
well not really as long as some common sense is used. we all know that used will most likely result in a better guitar. for a beginner i'd highy recommend that they buy from a shop instead of a person so they have a bit of a warrenty. the other thing is to make sure there is some money in the budget for a good setup. if you go to a shop there will be other players that you can ask about any given guitar. usually someone will give you a couple of minutes for an opinion.

shiny and new is great but making your cash go further is even better. i've bought many guitars that were "new" looking at used prices.

I dunno. I mean i always feel a bit unsure about used, and I've been playing for ages (not as long as you). It's not really common sense, it's that you're used to buying used, and I'm not. Not the same thing at all.

Agreed that going to a shop for used is a better idea, but then you pay more money.

it also depends on what the used market is like in your area.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
True, but- as pointed out by monwobobbo- going through a store (with a return policy) greatly reduces the risk.

And generally speaking, a new cheap guitar will be less well-made than a used guitar of similar price. IME, at least.

true, but only as long as you don't either get a lemon, get one which has been abused, or get a fake or something which is misdescribed.

Quote by Tony Done
^^^^ And therein lies a paradox. Cheapos of all kinds, be they new or used, are much better suited to experienced players/modders/builders than they are to the beginners at which that market is mostly targeted.

A compromise would be to take a more experienced person with you. To advise, but not browbeat you into something you don't really like!

agreed, but that's not always possible.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
true, but only as long as you don't either get a lemon, get one which has been abused, or get a fake or something which is misdescribed.

Hence my qualifier about return policies. So far, I've been lucky with my used guitar purchases- I'll admit to that- but there have been a few problem axes in my hands. And each time, the store has taken them back and either refunded my money, given me store credit, or exchanged in kind.

Yeah absolutely, buying used from a store has much less risk (but as I said, normally much higher prices too). But most people on here when they suggest used don't normally mean going through a store. But certainly, I have much less of a problem with that.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I dunno. I mean i always feel a bit unsure about used, and I've been playing for ages (not as long as you). It's not really common sense, it's that you're used to buying used, and I'm not. Not the same thing at all.

Agreed that going to a shop for used is a better idea, but then you pay more money.

it also depends on what the used market is like in your area.

agreed, but that's not always possible.

ok well buying used is a confidence thing for sure. as you get more experience as a player you should know what you want from a guitar. same goes with buying used. i always check the conditon of the guitar first to see if it has any glaring issues. next plug it in and play. sounds good, neck feels good then great. if i'm really serious about a guitar i'll play every note on the neck to check for dead spots. of course all that entails having the guitar in hand. buying off the web so far is something i haven't done.

when in doubt research is your friend. if i'm not familiar with a guitar i will check for specs and other info that may help me be sure that it is what is claimed and is original (or what has been replaced). as for the fake thing i would hope that a store would have enough knowledge to not buy them but again research is your friend.
absolutely, but it's a lot easier to do that research when you're an experienced player than when you're new and barely even know what a pickup is.

and testing the thing out depends on the local used market, that's going to be easier in a bigger city for example. plus meeting someone you don't know is risky too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
absolutely, but it's a lot easier to do that research when you're an experienced player than when you're new and barely even know what a pickup is.

and testing the thing out depends on the local used market, that's going to be easier in a bigger city for example. plus meeting someone you don't know is risky too.

well sure. of course that's why forums like this are great . if you get into any hobby etc it really does pay to take some time to learn about it. i'd never advocate to a newbie to buy used from a person rather than a store. meeting people isn't all that risky if you are smart about it. meeting on neutral ground in public is the best way to go. if you need to try guitar then meet alt a place like Guitar Center (and yes i know some may consider that uncool but it's safe and there are amps there). i always talk to people before meeting to get a sense of how they are. most are pretty cool. i figure the guy with the wife and kids going on in the background when i call is probably not a serial killer
a lot of serial killers had wives

personally i'd rather just pay a bit more money and be safe, but ymmv.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
a lot of serial killers had wives

maybe on tv but at least here in the states the vast majority of the high profile ones didn't. my drummer used to live next store to Aurthor Shawcross. we helped him move a couch to the curb.

but really i find that most of the people i've talked to and dealt with have been just fine and not scary. in my long hair days i was pretty scary . i deal with people everyday (i have a security job) and am a pretty good judge at this point.
Quote by Dave_Mc

I'm with you 100% on that.

^

Quote by monwobobbo
(a) maybe on tv but at least here in the states the vast majority of the high profile ones didn't. my drummer used to live next store to Aurthor Shawcross. we helped him move a couch to the curb.

(b) but really i find that most of the people i've talked to and dealt with have been just fine and not scary. in my long hair days i was pretty scary . i deal with people everyday (i have a security job) and am a pretty good judge at this point.

(a) I've never really looked into it that much. I'm just always a bit sceptical of using what I consider to be pretty poor proxies as evidence, plus that's probably the wrong way round to look at it (what percentage of single people are serial killers is probably the more pertinent factor- it's a rare enough occurrence that even if single people are, say, twice as likely to be serial killers, that's still likely a small enough percentage to be near enough irrelevant, and if you're scared enough of single people maybe being serial killers you probably should be scared of the married ones too!)

(b) yeah, but again that goes back to my original point- you're used to dealing with people, so are a pretty good judge. That's specialist knowledge that not everyone has- you probably will be ok, in other words, but the person you're advising online to stop being so cautious may not be. So now you're saying you need to do research and also be in security to be really sure.

it's probably easier to just buy new (or at least buy used from a store).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?