Zen was a type of mp3 player until the iPod ****ed it up the arse and left it for dead at the side of the road.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Why don't you do some research for yourself on Zen Buddhism rather than asking a forum of people who likely don't even understand what Zen, Buddhism and Taoism are let alone how they differ?

Read Tao te Ching, Andrew Juniper's book on Wabi Sabi, Yoshida Kenko and (though I haven't really read from him myself) Shunryu Suzuki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen

EDIT: I'm currently reading this, and it has some relevance to your question: http://www.the-philosopher.co.uk/buddhism.htm
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Last edited by Banjocal at Sep 19, 2015,
my first good mp3 player

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Zen was a type of mp3 player until the iPod ****ed it up the arse and left it for dead at the side of the road.
slapsy gets it.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Sep 19, 2015,
Only you know what it is to you
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Banjocal
Why don't you do some research for yourself on Zen Buddhism rather than asking a forum of people who likely don't even understand what Zen, Buddhism and Taoism are let alone how they differ?

Read Tao te Ching, Andrew Juniper's book on Wabi Sabi, Yoshida Kenko and (though I haven't really read from him myself) Shunryu Suzuki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen

EDIT: I'm currently reading this, and it has some relevance to your question: http://www.the-philosopher.co.uk/buddhism.htm

I've read an intro to zen by Shunryu Suzuki, I thought maybe someone here would have some insight, it's a large community, someone must know something about it.
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Hey I've got one of those. The audio jack broke though, only plays one headphone. SO now I have one of theeeese:

On topic: Zen is actually a marketing buzzword for a state of mind that you have no conceivable way of understanding because no one does and it's bollocks.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
It's how Germans talk. Und zen I vent to ze market to get som milch.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
One answer:

A young fish asked an elder fish what the ocean it had heard so much about was. The elder fish replied that the ocean was all around the young fish, was where the fish lived, where it died. The ocean was inside the young fish, and outside of it.

Another answer:
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
"If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him." "The Tao that can be spoken of is not the true Tao."....Etc.

Zen Buddhism is the Japanese translation of the Chinese "Chan" Buddhism which was brought to China from it's place of origin in India, reputedly by the monk Boddiharma. There are many legends associated with Boddiharma including the origins of Chinese martial arts. (That's nonsense....He likely did teach his monks a form of Yoga.)
Anyway, when Chan Buddhism migrated to Japan, it was appropriated by the Samurai culture as a warrior religion which would help the warrior approach death with equanimity.
After the long warring period in Japanese culture, Zen (so the Japanese called it) settled down into a more conventional form.
Part and parcel of the form is the "Koan" which are meaningless sayings that are supposed to "shock the mind" of the student. Extensive meditation as well.
There are actually a variety of Japanese sects of Buddhism, some approaching Jainism in their disregard for the material world.
Didn't they use Zen Buddhism to convince japense kamikaze pilots to dive into American warships at pearl harbor?
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Are these the ones that shipped with EmoDio or were those the Samsung ones?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
omggggg this brings me BACK

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Sep 19, 2015,
Quote by Neo Evil11
Didn't they use Zen Buddhism to convince japense kamikaze pilots to dive into American warships at pearl harbor?

No, That was bushido.

And there were no kamikaze at Pearl Harbor. Kamikaze didn't come around until near the end of the war
Last edited by jugglingfreak at Sep 20, 2015,
zen is like being awake and immersed in the nowness of that around you

it's not focus exactly - if anything, one doesn't remember much from a zen state.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Zenigame.
Quote by DQcrewmember
how do you ban people from posting in your threads?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You don't

Quote by Zaphikh
"Why are we here?"

"Plastic... asshole."
From what I gather Zen ultimately boils down to a rejection of western philosophy. E.j concepts like "being", etc lose their meaning, which the koans make some examples of in an absurd manner. This frees you from these issues allowing you to dwell on your daily life, seeking "enlightenment" and stuff.
I'm sure I'm 90% wrong though.
Quote by gonzaw
From what I gather Zen ultimately boils down to a rejection of western philosophy.

I'm sure I'm 90% wrong though.
correct!

Zen has unformed origins that can be traced back to the 5th century (just to use Wikipedia rather than the books lying 4 meters away from me).
ha-haaa
There's more East:West crossover than you might think. Some monk came over after seeing a bunch of connections with French philosophy, and all the neurology/Zen work studies that are being done.

Some great guys to check out are Jon Kabat-Zinn and Alan Watts if you're interested in seeing the meld
It's also interesting to note how principles of Wabi Sabi are becoming less prominent in Japan whereas they're beginning to become more prevalent in the West. this is purely anecdotal though, so don't place too much weight on such an argument.
ha-haaa