Hey everyone I'm in the market for a new amp. Problem is I don't live near any guitar centers the shop that are very great people sell Peavey's and Fenders. That's not to say I am limited to only those. My current gear is an Ernie Ball Petrucci Musicman, and a Line 6 PodXT Live. I like a lot of music and am looking for something versatile. My favorite band is Coheed and Cambria, but like to play their stuff, some Dream Theater, some Megadeth, 90s alternative stuff, classic rock. I also like to do some blues rock. I've been reading around the internet and talking to others.

Some amps that caught my eye are

Used Orange AD30HTC head with a PPC 112 Cabinet for a little over a 1000 total.
Peavey Classic 30
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey ValveKing 50
USED Mesa Boogie F30 head for 600.

Currently this amp will be used for home practice, jamming with a drummer, and eventually I want to gig with this amp. My budget is about 1000. I've never had a head cabinet, with my experience coming from combo amps. I am pretty dumb when it comes to gear. So any opinions on other amps or opinions on these couple would be greatly appreciated.
Out of the ones you have listed, the Orange is probably the most versatile. But I think for $1k USD (if you meant that) you could probably do better. It doesn't even have an effects loop. :C
Last edited by Will Lane at Sep 19, 2015,
from the list Peavey 6505. honestly i'd look for either a used Peavey JSX or the current version of the XXX.

not an Orange fan so can't really comment on that.

the fender and the peavey classic while good amps aren't going to deliver the progressive rock stuff or metal. the VK while an acceptable amp still isn't a good choice given your budget.

the 6505+ combo does great for metal but isn't as versatile as the oteh amps i mentioned.
Last edited by monwobobbo at Sep 19, 2015,
6505 combo would work well for the heavier stuff you wanna play but not so much blues rock.

The rest of those amps wouldn't be ideal tbh.

Other options include maybe getting a used Peavey XXX or Ultra, Peavey JSX, or a Marshall DSL100. If you don't get a combo grab a decent 2x12 with V30's, along with speaker cables to hook it up.
The 6505 will pull off Dream Theater and Megadeth, but for stuff like Coheed, 90s alt and blues rock it will not be the best.

The Valveking has a nicer clean channel than the 6505, and the gain would be more appropriate for the less heavy stuff. With an overdrive pedal it can do heavier tones, but it won't ever be as good as the 6505 for that.

If you want versatility, don't get the 6505. If you want something that does one thing incredibly well, you won't do better for the price.
out of that list i'd go with the mesa

you realise you need a cab too, though, right? (I'm guessing you do, just making sure )
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hey everyone! Thanks for the fast responses to answer some questions that were brought up.

I am weary of buying used unless it's from like online Guitar Center or am able to try it before hand. I am in the US so yes it's 1000 USD. Also I am aware I would need a cabinet for the Mesa as well. So my Budget is 1000 USD

As for the XXX and JSX suggested is there another amp that took the place of those or were they just discontinued by Peavy all together. Like the 6505 is the 5150 type of deal.

Also to the person that said for 1000 USD could you make some suggestions in that price range. I appreciate all responses, just would like to get some more opinions.

Thanks again.
when I was on epay looking at Mesa's the other night , Sam Ash or Sweetwater (?) seemed to have some nice prices on used Mesa amps with a good selection , I been looking at Mesa 2x12 cabs for a early B-D present for myself
Last edited by Fumble fingers at Sep 19, 2015,
Quote by Fumble fingers
I would cross the 6505+ off the list

Why? The 6505+ will do anything a 6505 will do and pull off pretty good cleans/blues rock as well.

It gets lumped in with the 6505 but in reality it's significantly more versatile.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I didn't like my 6505+ ..... I didn't think the cleans were very good , great for heavy but not versatile in my opinion , or it least not compared to the other amps I own
Last edited by Fumble fingers at Sep 19, 2015,
Like already mentioned I'd maybe try a Marshall DSL, Peavey XXX, JSX, or Ultra. Jet City may be worth taking a look at as well. They can get pretty narley, and the crunch channel can do a great blues tone. Some people complain that they can't really do cleans, and I'll admit my JCA50H doesn't have a tonne of clean headroom, but I've never ran into any issues keeping a pretty clean tone at gigs. You just gotta keep the pre-gain down.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Another amp I have been looking at is the 5:50 Express from Mesa but have seen mixed reviews. I've found them ranging from 650-800.

I am going to look into Jet City amps. Never heard of them prior to today.
Quote by BrokenSymphony
Hey everyone I'm in the market for a new amp. Problem is I don't live near any guitar centers the shop that are very great people sell Peavey's and Fenders. That's not to say I am limited to only those. My current gear is an Ernie Ball Petrucci Musicman, and a Line 6 PodXT Live. I like a lot of music and am looking for something versatile.

You *have* something versatile in that Pod XT Live. What you need to do is run it to a full range system (power amp and speaker or powered speaker).

If you want to upgrade it a bit, look into the HD500X, add a Two-Notes Torpedo C.A.B. and run it through that full range system.
Quote by dspellman
You *have* something versatile in that Pod XT Live. What you need to do is run it to a full range system (power amp and speaker or powered speaker).

If you want to upgrade it a bit, look into the HD500X, add a Two-Notes Torpedo C.A.B. and run it through that full range system.

Ok do you have any suggestions for a power amp?

I am very novice when it comes to gear, so I do have some questions. Could I use these Yamaha speakers from my brothers old PA system?
Last edited by BrokenSymphony at Sep 19, 2015,
They sell Fenders, you say? Then why not an EVH 5150 III?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by BrokenSymphony
Hey everyone! Thanks for the fast responses to answer some questions that were brought up.

I am weary of buying used unless it's from like online Guitar Center or am able to try it before hand. I am in the US so yes it's 1000 USD. Also I am aware I would need a cabinet for the Mesa as well. So my Budget is 1000 USD

As for the XXX and JSX suggested is there another amp that took the place of those or were they just discontinued by Peavy all together. Like the 6505 is the 5150 type of deal.

Also to the person that said for 1000 USD could you make some suggestions in that price range. I appreciate all responses, just would like to get some more opinions.

Thanks again.

XXX is now Peavey 3120 and JSX is now (confusingly) XXX-2. But in used markets original XXX and JSX can be incredibly good deals in the USA and are rock solid. Also they are not yet that old so you dont have to worry about cap mainteance, at worst a tube swap is needed.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by Cathbard
They sell Fenders, you say? Then why not an EVH 5150 III?

I never thought about that. A 5150iii would be pretty perfect for what you want. You'd get a beautiful clean channel, a crunch channel that can cover most of your needs, and an insane lead channel for anything else
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by red.guitar
I never thought about that. A 5150iii would be pretty perfect for what you want. You'd get a beautiful clean channel, a crunch channel that can cover most of your needs, and an insane lead channel for anything else

I thought the Peavey 6505 was just a 5150 clone. I will check into the 5150 they seem to be pricey but I'm sure the quality is worth the price. I'm also going to check into the power amp into speaker idea being I have a Pod as well. Going to talk to my friend that works at the shop then try it all out.

EDIT: Just watched a demo of oneand
Last edited by BrokenSymphony at Sep 20, 2015,
A 6505 and a 5150 are exactly the same thing.

A 6505+ and a 5150 II are exactly the same thing.

A 5150 III is different.

Basically when EVH and Peavey split, EVH took the name 5150 with him so Peavey re-branded under the 6505 name. The 5150 III was made by EVH after the split with Peavey.
Quote by Random3
A 6505 and a 5150 are exactly the same thing.

A 6505+ and a 5150 II are exactly the same thing.

A 5150 III is different.

Basically when EVH and Peavey split, EVH took the name 5150 with him so Peavey re-branded under the 6505 name. The 5150 III was made by EVH after the split with Peavey.

^ He's got it.

HERES part one of a pretty cool series on the 5150iii. I enjoy the part where Ed explains the "crash test" they do on the amp . Its built like a brick shithouse.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H