Hi,

I am looking to get a new acoustic electric, and I've narrowed it down to two.

The Taylor
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/taylor-110ce-dreadnought-acoustic-electric-guitar/h79566

I really liked this guitar while playing it in Guitar Center today. Nice smooth action, great sound. It's kind of plain looking, but most Taylors I've seen are. Feels really well built. Sounds good plugged in. Only con I see is no on board tuner. I don't have the best ear, and I usually forget to tune until I'm surrounded by people talking and other instruments playing... I have a standalone tuner, but that's a pain to have to get out and plug in.

The Breedlove
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/breedlove-25th-anniversary-koa-pursuit-concert-cutaway-acoustic-electric-guitar

Beautiful guitar with a rich sound. Great action. I felt like it didn't have the depth of the Taylor (highs didn't ring, no where near the volume). Also feels really well built and sounds great plugged in. It has more on board electronics, mainly, the tuner. The store I was in today didn't have the Breedlove Solo, the dreadnought body for the same price as this one.

I'm attributing the sound difference to two different style bodies, but I could be wrong. Guitar Center didn't have a dreadnought Breedlove in the same range (had a cheap one). Also, looks aren't everything I know, but the Breedlove definitely looks better. The Taylor comes in Sunburst too, but I've had bad luck with painted guitars. They seem to chip.

Main question: Has anyone played both these guitars and have a definitive favorite? If so, why?
Last edited by hkscriber at Sep 19, 2015,
Quote by hkscriber
Hi,

I am looking to get a new acoustic electric, and I've narrowed it down to two.

The Taylor 110ce

I really liked this guitar while playing it in Guitar Center today. Nice smooth action, great sound. It's kind of plain looking, but most Taylors I've seen are. Feels really well built. Sounds good plugged in. Only con I see is no on board tuner. I don't have the best ear, and I usually forget to tune until I'm surrounded by people talking and other instruments playing... I have a standalone tuner, but that's a pain to have to get out and plug in.
OK, the Taylor is MIM, the Breedlove MIK, (IIRC) I've heard that "Crafter" is the OEM for Breedlove, That jibes with the LR Baggs electronics you'll see on import Breedloves as well as Crafters. These are generally regarded as slightly better than the ubiquitous Fishman.

I can't wrap my head around the concept it's that difficult to drag out a 'big', 'heavy' Snark and clip it to the head stock. (I have some better suggestions for head stock tuners, but I expect that's a different discussion). FWIW, onboard tuners aren't always terribly accurate anyway.

So, generally speaking, you're going to get more bling per dollar on an Asian import than a Mexico built Taylor. I have a 115e (left handed 12 string), and the varnish finish is starting to grow on me. That said, high end Taylors have bling. If that's your preference, there's always the $6000,00 Martin D-45.

Returning from fantasy land, Taylor has done something very good with their dreadnought bodies, and that is thinned them down, and is using a molded back. What that accomplishes is taming the boom typically associated with dreads and helps with projection. It's actually an old Guild ploy, particularly with their jumbo 12 strings. Next time you're in GC, pick up a 115e. The volume of those guitars is almost frightening.

Quote by hkscriber
The Breedlove

Beautiful guitar with a rich sound. Great action. I felt like it didn't have the depth of the Taylor (highs didn't ring, no where near the volume). Also feels really well built and sounds great plugged in. It has more on board electronics, mainly, the tuner. The store I was in today didn't have the Breedlove Solo, the dreadnought body for the same price as this one.
Taylors are noted for their "modern sound", which is bright and forward. That said, it's a lot easier to get rid of high end, than it is to reclaim it when it's not present. It could be dead strings on the Breedlove, but that places it into subjective territory, and makes it a gamble. It also give one pause to wonder how new the strings have to be, for any particular guitar, (not only this Breedlove), to sound its best.

I'm attributing the sound difference to two different style bodies, but I could be wrong. Guitar Center didn't have a dreadnought Breedlove in the same range (had a cheap one). Also, looks aren't everything I know, but the Breedlove definitely looks better. The Taylor comes in Sunburst too, but I've had bad luck with painted guitars. They seem to chip. If anything, the Breedlove should be brighter, as it is designed with a waist. So?????

I didn't see a Taylor sunburst in the link you provided. I know it's available in the 2xx, & 2xx "deluxe" series. Normally M'sF would have a drop down to pick the color, but that's not there on the page. There is a little clicker to order more than one, should the spirit move you..

Quote by hkscriber
Main question: Has anyone played both these guitars and have a definitive favorite? If so, why?
I bought the 115e to replace a Crafter 12 string that sounds like shit. I've bonded to the Taylor. As I'm a lefty, I get very little direct contact with the range of guitars available to you rightys. With that said, Sweetwater has both a 110e & 110ce in stock, left handed. Which is nice but it's still a "buy it, sight unheard" proposition. Once upon a time I would go in and play guitars upside down, but that was sort of frustrating, because if you liked it, you couldn't buy a lefty version anyway.

The only thing I can tell you about the trim issue, you get a lot more bling at the same price range with an Asian import, as you do in a Mexi-Taylor. Try to move past that, and focus on the sound and feel.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Sep 20, 2015,
i prefer a lot of brands to breedlove solid tops, although breedlove all solids are sometimes super nice guitars. i'd go with the taylor without a second thought if that was the other guitar to choose from. there are a lot of things that can make differences in tone - bracing is a big one, and since these guitars both have laminate backs and sides, what they're laminated with, how tight the lamination is and other things can make a difference in tone.

more expensive taylors have gloss and bling, but they're more expensive.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
look up Blue Ridge... they are all solid wood guitars and fall into your price range.
Fender HRD - LTD.
Epi Les Paul 100 series Lefty w/ SD HRD
Fender Mexi Tele - Lefty
Martin D45 lefty
BlueRidge BR- 160 - 12 Lefty
Ditto X2 Looper
Ibanez TS-9, FL 301('79)
MXR Carbon Copy, COMP
Fulltone OCD
EB VP Jr.
Thanks for the input guys! It looks like the Taylor may be the way to go. Any other input is appreciated still!
Quote by hkscriber
Thanks for the input guys! It looks like the Taylor may be the way to go. Any other input is appreciated still!
OK, Sweertwater still has 2 of the Guild dreadnoughts. These are "Chinese Guilds" but enjoy a great reputation. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/D140CENAT Sweetwater blew a ton of them out over the past couple of weeks, and these are what's left.

All solid wood,cutaway and electronics, all for a nickel. I can't honestly say whether I'd choose this over a 110ce or not. It doesn't have the bolt on neck, which is a consideration.

This is pretty much a "poop or get off the pot" fire sale.

They don't have an exact replacement for it in their new, "Westerly" collection, but the equivalent acoustic only version is $789.00: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GD-140SB
Quote by hkscriber
The cutaway is a necessity haha!
Just so you have all the facts. The cutaway on an acoustic isn't anywhere near as effective as it would be on an electric, for several reasons.

At most, the neck of an acoustic joins the body at the 14th fret.

The body is much deeper, probably double that of the electric. This forces the necessity of wrapping your hand much lower and further forward when playing in the area of the cutaway.

The neck heel fouls your wrist /hand, BEFORE the 14th fret neck joint.

So, while an acoustic with a cutaway is better higher up the neck than a standard body, it may not be all you imagine or hope it will be.

On modern electrics, particularly 24 fret guitars, the heel is extensively blended into the body. Neck through construction permits this to be done especially easily.

FWIW, the cutaway on the Mexi-Taylors is a ripoff, as there are no pure acoustic models in the 1xx series. In most lines, the electronics and cutaway come together as a package. This adds $100.00 to $150.00 to the price of guitars up to about $500.00.

With the Taylor, you pay $130.00 (MAP), for the cutaway alone. Well, Bob Taylor has to make his millions somehow... All I can say there is, "grab your ankles and enjoy the ride".

Since I'm not a string bendy type of person, I could do just fine W/O the cut, save for the fact I like them aesthetically.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Sep 22, 2015,
Quote by Captaincranky
Just so you have all the facts. The cutaway on an acoustic isn't anywhere near as effective as it would be on an electric, for several reasons.

At most, the neck of an acoustic joins the body at the 14th fret.

The body is much deeper, probably double that of the electric. This forces the necessity of wrapping your hand much lower and further forward when playing in the area of the cutaway.

The neck heel fouls your wrist /hand, BEFORE the 14th fret neck joint.

So, while an acoustic with a cutaway is better higher up the neck than a standard body, it may not be all you imagine or hope it will be.

On modern electrics, particularly 24 fret guitars, the heel is extensively blended into the body. Neck through construction permits this to be done especially easily.

FWIW, the cutaway on the Mexi-Taylors is a ripoff, as there are no pure acoustic models in the 1xx series. In most lines, the electronics and cutaway come together as a package. This adds $100.00 to $150.00 to the price of guitars up to about $500.00.

With the Taylor, you pay $130.00 (MAP), for the cutaway alone. Well, Bob Taylor has to make his millions somehow... All I can say there is, "grab your ankles and enjoy the ride".

Since I'm not a string bendy type of person, I could do just fine W/O the cut, save for the fact I like them aesthetically.

I understand. But my acoustic now is a cutaway, and I frequent the 12th-14th frets, so I'd just rather not give that up. Also, the electric part is a must. I play in church, and being plugged in is required. Thanks for the info though!
Last edited by hkscriber at Sep 22, 2015,
Just thought I'd post and let everyone know what I decided on in case someone else looks here to compare these two guitars (or similar).
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Breedlove/Pursuit-Dreadnought-Ebony-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-Natural-1381434367100.gc

This guitar sounds amazing and plays even better (especially after I get the bridge adjusted to lower the action a hair). Has more depth than the thin body, and is a beautiful guitar!
I have the breedlove pursuit concert size with the spruce top/sapele sides and back. It's a nice well made guitar and the set-up was peferct oob, but the sound just leaves something to be desired to my ears. It's warm and mellow but kind of muddy without much character. That could be the spruce top or the smaller body size. The stock strings were d'adarrio exp's which are pretty bland imo. Maybe some cleartones would add some sparkle. FWIW I hate the shape of the breedlove headstock, wish they'd change that.
Grats on the new axe hkscriber! Love the back....really pretty. Plus a nice discount.
Quote by hkscriber
Just thought I'd post and let everyone know what I decided on in case someone else looks here to compare these two guitars (or similar).
I guess a "Happy New Guitar Day", is in order.
Quote by hkscriber
This guitar sounds amazing and plays even better (especially after I get the bridge adjusted to lower the action a hair). Has more depth than the thin body, and is a beautiful guitar!
I followed your link and that guitar certainly does have the pedigree with respect to choice of materials. The Adi top in particular stands out.

MIC Breedlove and MIC Guild are very often overlooked in these discussions, but it would seem both lines have much to offer.

If you have the technology easily at your disposal to take and upload photos, a "new guitar day thread" and/or, an entry into the "post pictures of your guitar" sticky would be very much appreciated by all.