I descend up and down the neck when I hit a pinch harmonic on 12 and 3 or 5 it sounds beautiful but then say 8 or 14 it sounds awful.

My problem is two fold

Position of right arm...while over the bridge. I know moving up and down is meant to give you different sounds but for me...it's not sound...muted...shitastic or awesome (very few awesome) So I play a 12 it squels...I do the exact same motion on the fret below and it either doesn't ring at all or is munted crap.

Finding it difficult to get my technique about what is 'right' to practice as in some instances I have an awesome harmonic and others I have no harmonics.

THE LEVEL of touch is also baffling...The lightest doesn't seem to get a pinch harmonic for me...and the heavier touch mutes it COMPLETELY :S

Why does the same position of the right hand one fret net an awesome PH yet the exact same thing be crap one fret down :|
Because physics.

Harmonic nodes occur along exact fractions of a vibrating string's length.

When you fret a string what you're doing is changing the length of string that's free to vibrate.

That means that the harmonic nodes all move.

When you play a natural harmonic you pick normally and use your fretting finger to lightly damp the string at a harmonic node to create the harmonic.

When you play a pinch harmonic you fret normally but have to use your thumb to damp the string at a harmonic node to create the harmonic node.

As those nodes move each time you fret in a different place that also means you need to pick in different places in order to ensure harmonics to ring out clearly - because 1/4 of the way along the string when you're fretting at the 6th fret is in a different place to when you're fretting at the 1st fret.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
U can get a pinch harmonic anywhere just need to really focus on the right hand flesh attack(means a really tight and fast attack=hit solid hard) and some powerful vibrato......U will surely get a powerful Pinch harmonic ...
Quote by Randy Fan
U can get a pinch harmonic anywhere just need to really focus on the right hand flesh attack(means a really tight and fast attack=hit solid hard) and some powerful vibrato......U will surely get a powerful Pinch harmonic ...

uh no, just cause the gain on your amp is so high and your ears are so bad that the feedback sounds like a pinch harmonic doesn't mean that you can do it "anywhere"

TS, the answer is experimentation. move up and down and do different levels of attack to see what works. once you've internalized that knowledge, it's really hard to let go

i can still squeal consistently on a guitar and i haven't actively owned or played a guitar (or with a pick) in like 3 years
modes are a social construct
The 'sweet spot' where you pick will change depending upon which fret you play. Sadly this is just trial and error as it will be different on each guitar. On my Ibanez RG it is generally over the neck pickup but certain frets I need to hit more over the middle pickup to get a good squeel.

Remember, just like with playing normal notes; there are several positions on the guitar where you can play the same harmonic. For instance if you struggle to hit a harmonic on the 13th fret, you may be able to get the same note on the 7th or 9th fret on a higher string (FYI that's a made up example, you'll need to check for yourself where the equivalent notes are)

Obviously it may not always be practical to jump down several frets if your're playing a riff but it is useful to know where the notes are as there may be a more economical way to get to it.
GUITAR COMPANIES - Contact me if you'd like to sponsor my signature!
That's really interesting, turns out I probably do have the technique down but I am thinking i didn't because they don't often ring out. so bizarre I have to start paying attention to my right hand now...
Still got the issue, I've tried finding the secret place on the string where they actually work but some are loud as hell and other's do not even exist
Quote by MyOceanToSwim
Still got the issue, I've tried finding the secret place on the string where they actually work but some are loud as hell and other's do not even exist

all about the harmonic nodes that were mentioned. now you can get pinch harmonix anywhee on the board if you can find the sweet spot but it's tough and they often dont' sound out very well if at all. i usually fret the string as close to the fret as i can it helps. no real point in trying to get them everywhere, find out where they work best and use them in those spots. if you watch guys like zakk wylde play he does just that.
Quote by MyOceanToSwim

There is no "secret", it's all physics and maths - harmonic nodes occur at predictable intervals. Understanding how that works is the key to being able to hit harmonics consistently no matter where you're fretting.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I found the best way for me to practice these was to just work on the one fret I wanted at the time. I just slid my picking hand along the string back and forth doing the motion until I got a nice clear harmonic. After doing that for so long it sort of just feels natural to hit them after a while.

Probably not the fastest and most efficient way to learn but it's great if you are lazy like me lol.
This is still an issue for me starting to think it's the bowed neck...they just don't come out on some frets...it's no big deal anyway bleh, bedroom guitarist.
To get a pinch harmonic that really growls, I push down towards the guitar body with the pick motion, and also use three points of contact (index finger tip/nail, pick tip, thumb edge). That works anywhere from around 12th fret down to nut, without moving picking hand placement.
When I started trying to find all those sweet spots I didn't even pinch, I would pick a note and then use my middle finger to mute the string at the harmonic spot. Kind of like tapping the harmonic.Then I'd hit the next fret up and tap a bit higher. My seventh fret tends to sound really nice when pinched at the bottom of my neck pickup so if I went to the eighth fret Id tap a little below that, in between the two pickups but pretty close to the neck, etc. You can only do that so long but the tapping the harmonic thing makes it really easy to find the sweet spots, you don't have to worry about your technique messing it up. After you find a spot where you know it works well you just nail your technique on that spot. Your technique maybe spot on but I thought I'd throw this out there if someone just starting to get into pinches reads the thread it might help them.