Hi there,

I have been playing guitar for about 5 years now and being honest have gotten virtually nowhere in terms of skill level/ ability to improvise. So I decided this year that I would shall we say "go back to basics" and start learning the blues. I wanted to play more rock, hardrock and metal but from what small amount of research I have done I have found that all these styles borrow from and stem from the blues.

So while I am taking lessons online through Jamplay(please leave your opinions on Jamplay aside for the sake of not starting a flame war in this thread if you wouldn't mind) I have found their blues lessons to be a pain interms of that there aren't alot of blues songs on their site to learn alongside the technique and theory lessons.

So I am asking those who are farmiliar to recommend not songs , but good blues albums that will allow me to train my ear and the learn the blues the right way , by studying the greats .

Can you help me please?

I am not looking for responses like type blues into youtube.....that doesn't help at all.

(just another note please be civil and try not to be at eachothers throats haha )
Quote by Johnnysd
Live at the Regal is a must I feel.

And/or Cook County Jail.

Very strong (mostly 12-bar) more modern ('80s) electric blues on Stevie Ray Vaughan's Texas Flood.

Peter Green-era Fleetwood Mac has some really nice blues tracks, so if you pick up the compilation of Peter Green Fleetwood Mac stuff whatever it was called, that has some nice mostly-pentatonic soloing.

Allman Brothers Live at Fillmore East has some fantastic pieces both in a 12-bar format and other jams.

Pre-war stuff isn't my area and I'm not sure most of that stuff would help you with starting out soloing but I'm sure there are good recs others could offer.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Paul Butterfield Blues Band with Mike Blomfield
Blues Breakers with Eric Clapton
BB King- Completely Well
Stevie Ray Vaughan- Texas Flood

Just a few that shaped rock music forever...
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Howlin' Wolf - Moanin' At The Moonlight
T-Bone Walker - T-Bone Blues
Freddie King - Getting Ready
Albert King - Born Under A Bad Sign
B.B. King - I second Completely Well and also say check out The Jungle for his older sound.
Lightnin' Hopkins - Flash Lightning
Little Walter - anything. Complete Chess Box if you can get it. he had great players with him and knowing how to back a harmonica player is crucial to playing blues
Otis Rush - Mourning In The Morning

if you wanna go as far back as acoustic stuff and delta blues I can give some good starting points there too.
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
I know you said your interest is hard rock, metal ..but do give jazz an ear...there are some smoking guitar players

George Benson..his early work with CTI records- very blues flavored lines

Kenny Burrell..one of the best jazz blues players .. his work with Jimmy Smith in particular

Larry Carlton..a master in all styles..he has some blues albums Sapphire Blue is a good one

there are many more that many "rock" players overlook..do a search and be surprised..
play well

wolf
Last edited by wolflen at Oct 12, 2015,
Gary Moore STILL GOT THE BLUES

Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac 1st 3 albums although there are is a great compilation that includes singles only tunes like Green Manalishi

Johnny Winter 2ND WINTER

Rory Gallagher ANY OF HIS LIVE ALBUMS
Elmore James is good old blues, and some of his stuff isn't extremely difficult to play.
I can't even believe no one mentioned Buddy Guy yet. Best bluesman, imo. Check out his record Stone Crazy for some of the greatest licks and grooves ever.
I would recommend listening to/watching Eric Clapton's Live at Hyde Park from 1996 or his 24 Nights from 1990/1. Hyde Park has more blues numbers, and 24 Nights has a more heavy blues/rock direction.

"I Shot The Sheriff" (Hyde Park)

"Layla" (Hyde Park)

"Running On Faith" (24 Nights)

"Old Love" (24 Nights)
"There was Pope John, if you remember. Now there's Pope John Paul. The next pope's gonna be Pope John Paul George, and we can see where they're going. It's that more populist edge Pope John Paul George and Ringo, he's going to take off; he's going to have songs in the charts."
~Eddie Izzard, "Circle", 2000

"Boy bands should be exploded from a great height. They’re just pretty people singing music written by others."
~Eddie Izzard
The Thrill Is Gone - B.B King ft Gary Moore

Still Got The Blues - Gary Moore (You must watch both)

One that is not really blues but more blues rock vibe. 

Gary Moore's rendition of The Messiah Will Come Again

;

To be honest. The Messiah Will Come Again is by far my favourite instrumental
Fender Standard Stratocaster MIM 2011 with David Gilmour Neck Pickup Switch Mod

Epiphone Les Paul Standard PlusTop Pro 2015 with Peter Green Mod

1999 Japanese Epiphone Les Paul Standard LP-80 with Peter Green Mod
Last edited by noobyXD at May 27, 2017,