http://pitchfork.com/news/61277-viet-cong-are-changing-their-name/

Earlier this year, a Viet Cong show was canceled due to response over the band's "offensive" name. The band subsequently released a statement saying, "We never intended for our name to be provocative or hurtful." Today, the band have announced that they will change their name.

The band released a statement explaining that after many conversations with "members of the Vietnamese community" about their name, they've decided to chance their name.

"Through this dialogue and hearing about what the name means to so many people, we have decided we will be changing the name of our band." They wrote:

Art and music are about creative expression. However, our band name is not our cause, and we are not going to fight for it. This is not what our band is about.

There are many individuals more eloquent than us who have recently had a lot to say about the topic of the name and our appropriation of the name Viet Cong. For more insights into the arguments we encourage you to read some of these. We are a band who want to make music and play our music for our fans. We are not here to cause pain or remind people of atrocities of the past.

Is punk officially dead?
Welcome to 2015

This is cool tho:

Art and music are about creative expression. However, our band name is not our cause, and we are not going to fight for it. This is not what our band is about.
My God, it's full of stars!
i thought punk died 20 years ago

Sounds like a lame af band.

Like Joy Division named themselves after Nazi rapists, come on.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Last edited by ErikLensherr at Sep 20, 2015,
Quote by Rossenrot at #33605061
Should change their name to The Taliband

Niiiiice
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
Welcome to 2015

This is cool tho:

Yeah seems valid to me. The bands aight too.
could have gotten away with the name if they were grind.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
I get why they change it, what I don't get is why they chose such a potentially controversial name in the first place if they had no fucking reason to, they're either ignorant as hell or edgy as hell, possibly both. Lost a little respect for them knowing they had no reason
Quote by intothe
I get why they change it, what I don't get is why they chose such a potentially controversial name in the first place if they had no fucking reason to, they're either ignorant as hell or edgy as hell, possibly both. Lost a little respect for them knowing they had no reason
this

like TTNG did this too and nobody gave them shit for it. With a name like VC it's going to piss some people off and it's worth listening to why that is. and tbh unless you're making a point it tends to be hollow aesthetic and bland edgyness. It's worse in the noise community, where

(angsty scrawny dude voice) oh hey, this is my Harsh Noise Violence project, RapeSlave and here is where I keep my music. i look to get a deeper insight into, get this, the ~eevils of mankind~ by combining sound with pictures I got from 9/11 conspiracy sites and rotten dot com. this is exemplified in my songs ‘turd sniffer’ and ‘rape party fantastical’ where the totally unrelated, instrumental harsh noise i randomly improvised is put against a picture of a dick and some words. peter sotos speaks to me on a spiritual level
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Sep 21, 2015,
this is unbelievably stupid

fuk political correctness, i hate 2015 so much
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
They're gonna change it to Gnoc Teiv
I eat bananas vigorously

BUTTS.

To the pit because i don't feel like doing real life.
I didn't even know Viet Cong was an offensive term. You learn something new every day.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Quote by Acϵ♠
i hate 2015 so much

Yeah, people are still thick enough to use the term "political correctness"
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by I.O.T.M at #33605798
I didn't even know Viet Cong was an offensive term. You learn something new every day.

yea

I think it's a kind of cool sounding name for a punk band
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Yeah, people are still thick enough to use the term "political correctness"

I broadly agree that 'political correctness' is a much abused phrase and that most of what is labelled as such is just simple politeness (i.e. not throwing around the n-word) and isn't worth kicking up a fuss about. But you're naive if you believe that there isn't an insidious form of political correctness that ends up stifling creative expression and doing no real good, despite the best intentions. A good example is the college that banned a performance of the Vagina Monologues because it was considered to be exclusionary towards women without vaginas.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
crass said "punk is dead" in 1978 b/c the sex pistols & the clash were such poseurs -- the former more self-consciously so than anybody seems to realize -- & were not living up to a set of politico-ethical principles that they viewed as essential to punk, so i don't see anything "unpunk" about calling punk bands on their shit in 2015. punk is dead, long live punk.
Lol
________________________________ ________________________________
______________________________ ______________________________
Quote by WCPhils
yea

I think it's a kind of cool sounding name for a punk band

Yeah I think the band kinda sucks but the name was badass. Shout out to Game of Four
tbh this is great move from a publicity standpoint

like for real who even heard of em before this?

whoa that's crazy, Viet Cong is one of my favorite bands. I saw them live a few months ago in Atlanta actually, one of the best live experiences I've ever had. It was at a fest and people stayed after their set for like 20 minutes clapping and stuff. They didn't even have roadies they were clearing the stage themselves lol. I always thought their name was kinda cool, in fact that's what made me first look them up.

Quote by MinterMan22

me, and it was because of their name lol

Last edited by SaintsofNowhere at Sep 22, 2015,
Quote by MinterMan22

Me and not cuz of their name

Artist depiction of how this post made me feel: