I'm planning on buying the kemper profiling amp.
First off I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to amps and speakers. I've wasted over $1500 buying pedals and amps to try and get the sound I was looking for and never got it, but looking at this higher end stuff it's exactly what I need.

So anyway, I'm not sure what kind of speaker cabinet I would need to operate this. I contacted the support for it and they said if it's the power head you get I need a passive cab, and if it's the regular one which is the one I'm going to get since the store I buy from doesn't have the power head I'm going to need an active cab. He didn't really explain what these are. What are the differences between an active and passive cab?

I looked online for some Marshall cabs and they don't list whether it's an active or passive cab. How am I supposed to know?

https://www.long-mcquade.com/18024/Guitars/Guitar_Amps/Access/Kemper_Profiling_Amplifier.htm#Reviews-tab

^ that is the profiler. So yeah if you could explain what a passive and active cab does and what it is, and maybe even recommend be the right gear I need to run this that would be great. Thanks.
a passive cab (un-powered) doesn't have an amplifier built in. you have to have an amplifier to power it. an active cab (powered) has an amplifier built in, so you don't need anything else to power it.

the rest of this is out of my area of expertise, so i will let the regulars jump in and help you out.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
a passive cab (un-powered) doesn't have an amplifier built in. you have to have an amplifier to power it. an active cab (powered) has an amplifier built in, so you don't need anything else to power it.

the rest of this is out of my area of expertise, so i will let the regulars jump in and help you out.

What does it mean to have an amplifier built in?
Does that mean like a power cord? or something different alltogether?

Otherwise what does an amplifier look like or called specifically? Because when I search up amplifier I'll get like well a guitar amplifier with all the settings gain, tremble etc...
Quote by sfx
Laney IRT-X is what you're looking for.

Why?

Does that replace my need for a speaker cabinet? or is it just to increase the tone/punch? between the audio from the profiler to the speaker?
Quote by Sorrelity
What does it mean to have an amplifier built in?
Does that mean like a power cord? or something different alltogether?

Otherwise what does an amplifier look like or called specifically? Because when I search up amplifier I'll get like well a guitar amplifier with all the settings gain, tremble etc...

i don't have the capacity to explain this right now, but in short... an 'amplifier' makes things loud. to make something loud, you need an amplifier. 'powered' cabs have the amplifier built in as one piece of equipment. an 'un-powered' cab (also known as passive) needs to be hooked up to an external amplifier. thats just the basics. there are a ton of factors to be considered, take time to plan it out before you go mad happy buying shit.

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
A Kemper Profiling Amp is a digital modeling unit. You can plug it into all sorts of powered speakers—anything from $10 PC speakers to the PA system in an arena. If you just want to play at home buy a set of studio monitors from Monoprice and you’re set. If you’ll be using it to play live you need to buy some kind of PA system to use it in your band. There are literally hundreds of options, so what you need to provide are:
• a budget
• a transportation plan (does this need to travel in the back of a work van or in the trunk of a small car)
• the size and kind of venues and events you play
Quote by sfx
Laney IRT-X is what you're looking for.

i don't think that would be the best route. but honestly i haven't ever tried one so .
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
If you are getting the Kemper head unpowered you need a powered *active* speaker.

This one works pretty well:
http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=1066

No a Marshall cab or other guitar cab is all wrong for the Kemper. FRFR is the type of speaker system that works best with them.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Sorrelity
Why?

Does that replace my need for a speaker cabinet? or is it just to increase the tone/punch? between the audio from the profiler to the speaker?

It is a powered monitor that allows you to connect to a speaker cabinet at 200 watts.

You don't need to use a speaker cabinet if you're not gigging, unless you need the 200 watts of power amp going through a speaker cabinet.
Quote by Cajundaddy
If you are getting the Kemper head unpowered you need a powered *active* speaker.

This one works pretty well:
http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=1066

No a Marshall cab or other guitar cab is all wrong for the Kemper. FRFR is the type of speaker system that works best with them.

Yes it's the non power head version. So I think I'll be getting what you recommended. So I just plug my kemper into that speaker and that's it?

And if so what cords do I need to hook it all up?

Thanks.
A three pin XLR audio cord will make connections.

"Kemper" is code for "slick sampling software tool". If you don't know what an amplifier or active speaker is you may find yourself well over your head with this device. It is not super friendly for a tech novice.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Sep 21, 2015,
Quote by Cajundaddy
A three pin XLR audio cord will make connections.

"Kemper" is code for "slick sampling software tool". If you don't know what an amplifier or active speaker is you may find yourself well over your head with this device. It is not super friendly for a tech novice.

he speakith thy truth.

sorrelity - i am not insulting your intelligence, rather questioning your experience. modern modeling gets really thick, and i would hate to see somebody absolutely frustrated over what they just bought for $2k.

food for thought.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
he speakith thy truth.

sorrelity - i am not insulting your intelligence, rather questioning your experience. modern modeling gets really thick, and i would hate to see somebody absolutely frustrated over what they just bought for $2k.

food for thought.

It's ok, I understand. But I'm so sick of having shitty tones with everything I've bought so far.

I understand profiling the amps might be difficult but I can learn that. Either way though the amp comes with hundreds of built in presets and downloadable ones online.
Quote by Sorrelity
It's ok, I understand. But I'm so sick of having shitty tones with everything I've bought so far.

I understand profiling the amps might be difficult but I can learn that. Either way though the amp comes with hundreds of built in presets and downloadable ones online.

download and start reading the manual now
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Sorrelity

in order to get good tones or the ones you want you have to understand what will get you that. that kemper is hardly a plug and play amp. it's also designed with the idea of making your great amp sound more portable and easy to call up. by that i mean it samples that amp you have with the great tone that you don't want to take on the road or want to fuss with every day in the studio and models it for instant access in a no fuss no muss way. since you haven't found the sound you want yet it may well be just as or more frustrating that what you've experienced.

just for shits and giggles what type of tone are you trying to achieve?
There is also a version of kemper with a power amp built in, and i think its made specificly to work with normal guitar cabs. So, you know, you can get that. Actually thats what im planing to get for my next amp.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by monwobobbo
in order to get good tones or the ones you want you have to understand what will get you that. that kemper is hardly a plug and play amp. it's also designed with the idea of making your great amp sound more portable and easy to call up. by that i mean it samples that amp you have with the great tone that you don't want to take on the road or want to fuss with every day in the studio and models it for instant access in a no fuss no muss way. since you haven't found the sound you want yet it may well be just as or more frustrating that what you've experienced.

just for shits and giggles what type of tone are you trying to achieve?

The problem I've had forever is I never have enough distortion, tones I want are like Matt Bellamy of Muse, Eric Jonston. I'll link a few songs to give you an idea. I crank the disortion on my line6 amplfi 150(sounds like shit) that amp is just garbage. Anyway bought a fender super champ x2, better sound but again the distortion just isn't what I want.

This for example this the kind of distortion I want never even mind the tone. Like when he bends it's just way up there I can never reach that with my amps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfPA0fPVqTM

----------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcNEC9NaJuE

----------------

Having these tones that just don't sound that great really takes a toll on my motivation to learn and practice.
Maybe it's not just an amp thing.

Post all your gear and pedals if any and how you set them up, maybe you'll get better help to reach that tone you want.

This way everyone can see where you might have gone wrong.
I mean that guy is using an axefx. You should look into that.

There's not really any way you can get that sound with a super champ or a amplifi.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by sfx
Maybe it's not just an amp thing.

Post all your gear and pedals if any and how you set them up, maybe you'll get better help to reach that tone you want.

This way everyone can see where you might have gone wrong.

Ok, so currently using a Cort MCB-1 guitar with manson pickups.

Running that into either my line6 amplifi 150. That is a digital modeling amp, it's got some great tones don't get me wrong but lead tones hell no. Distortion just sounds staticy and loud. The notes don't ring out at all which is why I ended up getting a fender super champ x2. Which is a lot nicer for those lead tones the notes ring out more. But I'm really going for tones like in those videos where the distortion is just cranked up which I can't achieve with these amps.

I've got a Boss D1 pedal which I sometimes run through the clean channel on the super champ again it's practically the same as turning on the distortion of the super champ. Also a fuzz pedal which is nice but not what I'm going for. I've also got a line 6 xl pedal board. Which is practically the same as the amplifi. The tones really suck way to digital and no good lead tones. My problem is I'd have to crank the volume to ridiculous levels to get any good clean distortion out of it. Which I can't.
Are you using delay? The first video had it laid on pretty heavy. It can make leads seem fuller and more fluid. Food for thought.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Are you using delay? The first video had it laid on pretty heavy. It can make leads seem fuller and more fluid. Food for thought.

Yes, I totally get what you mean. But these amps are just not capable of producing the sound and tone I desire.
Yea line 6 make crap amps. Their pedals are ok.

The amplifi TT models are one of the biggest turkey product that makes no sense, especially to android users.

You probably don't need to get into high end modeler territory either, if you know how to pick a proper amp to get the tone you want. I find that if I use modelers, I stop at a particular amp/tone I want and never bother with others. It's a good pre-sale experience before actually buying the actual amp.

Sell off the amplifi TT and get a proper amp first.

Meanwhile maybe you can try out amp modeling software such as bias, amplitube, revalver, etc to identify which amps can get you the tone you want, then actually shell out the money to buy that exact amp instead.
Quote by Sorrelity
Yes, I totally get what you mean. But these amps are just not capable of producing the sound and tone I desire.

Ok the Line 6 amplifi 150 is just awful and while I really like the Super Champ (I have one) it excels with vintage tones from the 60s and 70s. It is not designed as a modern hi gain monster and pedals won't get you there. You just need different tools for the job.

Dover is high gain, with compression and delay. Lots of ways to get this for a lot less than $3k

Mesa
Jet City
Pod HD
Marshall Class 5

All for less than $500 if you buy used. Get the right tools for the job and learn how to use them well. Kemper is an excellent sampling software device for a very experienced player or studio. Not a great novice tool to find your sound IMO.

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Sep 22, 2015,