I picked up an Ibanez GIO 200 for $100. The action is really nice but it gets out of tune rather easily. What are some good tuning key upgrades?

I saw the Hipshot Extenders, which seem really cool, but I also know that Ibanez's have angled tuning keys and this might cause the hipshot extenders not to work fully. I'm also not sure I want to pay $65 just to be able to switch to drop D so quickly. If they also stay in tune better it might be worth it.

I'm also considering upgrading the pickups.
I'd cautiously agree with dspellman to some extent.

What I think is probably worth saying is that, while, yes, you can have crap tuners, they are almost never the cause of any tuning issues you have. Even shit tuners can usually hold your string in place. Much more common causes of tuning issues are (in vague order of most-to-least-likely) the nut, the method of restringing (i.e. no more than one or two windings, neatly stacked around the tuner post), string trees or the bridge. I can all but guarantee in 9 out of 10 cases that a tuner upgrade will be a disappointment.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Replacing tuning keys on a bass is usually done to relieve neck dive or replace cheap factory machine heads that rattle. It’s more likely that you just need to open the nut slots a little.
I wouldn't waist too much on tuners.

Guitarfetish has Wilkinson tuners for $11 each that is about as much as I would spend on a cheap bass www.guitarfetish.com/Bass-Tuners_c_69.html

Their pickups are also quite good for really cheap
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks guys. I did notice that the strings are wound only a few times. I'll try putting new strings on and winding it up more and see if that makes a difference. If that makes no difference then I'll try the rest.

If the tuning issues get fixed then I may still add new pickups, thinking of the Seymore Duncan Quarter Pounders simply because I got the bass and all the accessories etc. for only $100. I do really like the action on this.
Check out the GFS pickups at www.guitarfetish.com

They sound very nice and are less than 1/2 the price of the Duncans. Now don't get me wrong, the QP is a very nice pickup, but I wouldn't spend the extra for it on that particular guitar. But your money, your call, just trying to give you some options
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Bass strings don't need many winds. They get locked into the tuner when the instrument is strung.
Quote by jpnyc
Bass strings don't need many winds. They get locked into the tuner when the instrument is strung.

Yeah, sorry if my post wasn't clear - you want only one or two winds so that there's enough friction to hold the string in place but it won't have room to shift about much on the post.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
basically a tuner is a "non-reversing worm" gear set. which means that if you were to pull on what ever you had wound on it's drum (winch) or post (tuner) it will by design not be able to unwind. it's a mechanical safety feature so to speak.

with that out of the way, usually one upgrades their tuners to get a better gear ratio, loose some weight, improve the tuner's feel via better quality, gain the ability to upgrade knobs, or get a string locking feature.

assuming you have your wrapping and tuning methods in check and the nut isn't binding or any other string related issues are going on, upgrading tuners is easy and fun. there many choices available. whether or not it's a good idea on a gio only you can decide.
Last edited by ad_works at Sep 21, 2015,