I'm in the market for a lightweight long scale guitar with 24 or more frets.
Longer than 25.5 and more than 24 frets would be even better.

It doesn't seem like I can get all three of these. The closest i've seen were the extremely expensive carbon fiber Parkers or perhaps a semi hollow prs (don't know if a 24 fretter exists)

I may have to go custom made but I'm not sure of the reputable builders around my part of Canada.
Quote by AcousticMirror
what do you mean by lightweight

light·weight
/ˈlītˌwāt/

adjective

1. of thin material or build and weighing less than average "a lightweight gray suit" synonyms: thin, light, flimsy, insubstantial, summery

Couldn't resist
The carbon fiber Parkers are a good example, or perhaps something semi hollow?
At the very least, ~half the weight of my Les Paul Custom would be a good place to start.
What is your actual budget?

I know Jon Kammerer had among his standard models a 25.5" scale, 24 fret, small-bodied semihollow doublecut "travel" guitar that was around 5 lbs and cost @$2000. He's revamping his line and doing a Kickstarter campaign soon, so who knows what he has right now.

http://www.jonkammerercustoms.com
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Take a look on Rondo's site at some of the Agile guitars. I have seen them have a couple of 27" guitars that have 24 frets. Just a suggestion. Not too sure on the weight of them, but they generally include that info on the specs.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Basswood guitars are pretty light. Something like a Jackson Soloist SLX. Or any other of their X-Series.
Budget is anywhere from 400-1000. Looking for a good value most of all.

Basswood might be good enough then. The reason i'm looking for baritone/longer scale is for the added string tension with lighter strings. I recently switched from a Les Paul 24.75" with 11's to a Samick Valley Arts 25.5" with 9's and suddenly noticed less pain when bending and also that the large strings were suppressing some wonderful vibrato. I also noticed the lighter strings are easier to get across.
I obviously don't want to go back to the Les Paul with 11's tension, but somewhere in between that and my current guitar should be quite nice.

So perhaps a 25.5 inch scale, 24 fret, possibly 7 string, tuned a step higher than standard e pitch with 8's or 9's...

Now if I could only find a basswood Les Paul style with 24 frets, and 25.5" scale, let alone 7 string...
Last edited by mik James at Sep 21, 2015,
You COULD just switch to 9's or 10's on the LP, you know.

Carvin makes a headless guitar -- about 5 lbs in a 25.5" scale (yes, 24 frets). 27" and seven string available in the same guitar. Over your budget, but awesome.
Basswood's not particularly lightweight -- it's more about the design of the guitar.
Swing buy a guitar center and try a Schecter Blackjack SLS. They tend to have light bodies and the thin necks are also pretty light.
Quote by mik James
light·weight
/ˈlītˌwāt/

adjective

1. of thin material or build and weighing less than average "a lightweight gray suit" synonyms: thin, light, flimsy, insubstantial, summery

Couldn't resist
The carbon fiber Parkers are a good example, or perhaps something semi hollow?
At the very least, ~half the weight of my Les Paul Custom would be a good place to start.

Quote by mik James
Budget is anywhere from 400-1000. Looking for a good value most of all.

Basswood might be good enough then. The reason i'm looking for baritone/longer scale is for the added string tension with lighter strings. I recently switched from a Les Paul 24.75" with 11's to a Samick Valley Arts 25.5" with 9's and suddenly noticed less pain when bending and also that the large strings were suppressing some wonderful vibrato. I also noticed the lighter strings are easier to get across.
I obviously don't want to go back to the Les Paul with 11's tension, but somewhere in between that and my current guitar should be quite nice.

So perhaps a 25.5 inch scale, 24 fret, possibly 7 string, tuned a step higher than standard e pitch with 8's or 9's...

Now if I could only find a basswood Les Paul style with 24 frets, and 25.5" scale, let alone 7 string...

"half the weight of my Les Paul Custom would be a good place to start" is a meaningless metric. lp custom's weigh all over the map. the "map" being the weight of gibson les paul customs in specific.

mine's from 71' and seems to be fortified with depleted urainum (it's actually due to the mineral content of the wood of that era). how much does yours weight?

what is it that you are actually after? one statement seems to be weight driven, another seems to be concerned with string tension, and then you now want a 7 string tuned up a whole step. nothing's related here. focus and you can be helped easier.
Last edited by ad_works at Sep 21, 2015,
Quote by dspellman
Basswood's not particularly lightweight -- it's more about the design of the guitar.

agreed. I've tried heavier basswood guitars, and also lighter ones.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dspellman
You COULD just switch to 9's or 10's on the LP, you know.

Indeed, I could do that if I wanted to play spaghetti
Quote by ad_works
what is it that you are actually after? one statement seems to be weight driven, another seems to be concerned with string tension, and then you now want a 7 string tuned up a whole step. nothing's related here. focus and you can be helped easier.

I can't sum it up as succinctly as Freddie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFDcoX7s6rE
Last edited by mik James at Sep 21, 2015,
The suggestions are much appreciated. I have a better idea of what to look for now.
Yamaha RGX A2
It's super duper light weight and looks pretty cool.
Doesn't meet your other requirements but you'd have to go custom for the whole shebang
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Dude, stretch that budget and get a chambered Vader like someone else said. Lightweight indeed.
2014 Ibanez RG8
2013 Schecter Hellraiser
1999 Schecter Revenger 7
2007 LTD 'Monster' F
B.C. Rich KK Warlock
No-Name Acoustic
the ibanez S-Series are pretty light, i don't remember which (if any) have 24 frets.

there is supposedly a lightweight soloist, i think. i don't know though. i haven't tried it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Ibanez standard S Series is 25.5", extremely light, very thin neck, and mine is set up beautifully. You would never believe it is a $400 guitar by how well it plays. Also I do back Carvin wholeheartedly, best guitars out there under $2k imo.
dude you are looking for an ibanez s series. they have several 24 fret models, most of which are at least 25" scale. i just bought a mew one today actually, couldnt be happier with the purchase. the body is barely thicker than the neck its insane. go try one out youll love it
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Probably going to go with a Kramer assault 220. It has 24 frets, 25.5" scale, and a lighter variant of the les paul style build that I like. The purple quilt top on the Epiphone Nighthawk is really tempting though, to bad they don't make a 24 fret variant :p
Quote by dspellman

+1, most of the basswood guitars I've owned have been on the heavy side.

OP, try an Ibanez S. They're really thin and are usually quite light (this varies depending on the guitar, of course).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
what price? Carvin is the answer but it will cost you 800-900+
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
No worries folks, i'm going with the Kramer Assualt 220 or 220 plus for now.
Thank you for the recommendations.