I already have two guitars but one (my reverend buckshot) has a broken pickup. I would replace the pickup but i never digged the sound so i either want to rewire it with different pickups or get a new guitar. my #1 guitar is my strat mim so im looking for something different. thinking p90s, tele, or something else. any suggestions? also is it worth the trouble rewiring or should i just replace the reverend?
Well the way it sounds has a lot to do with the amp and its settings. Of course getting a different type of pick up will also change the sound and outputs. Reverend makes nice guitars. I would deff fix that even if you go with a new guitar. Its easy to rewire pick ups with a little time and a soldering iron
Which pickup don't you like and which one isn't working? The bridge pickup looks easy to replace, but I don't know about the neck pickup.

Pickups don't often break. It is often a simple wiring problem, which you might be better off fixing it anyway if you want to sell it privately.
i took to a guitar tech and he couldnt fix it. one of the tiny wires broke on the bridge pickup. I think they are called lead wires? anyways I never really like the tone from the bridge pickup, and It wasnt just me who didnt like it, a couple of my friends (guitairist) and even a music teacher has commented on it. it seems to be lacking something and its a bit dark. I was thinking about getting a different pickup for the bridge but i've been worried that a different pickup might not match with the revtron (filtertron copy) in the neck very well.
Quote by brenton393
i took to a guitar tech and he couldnt fix it. one of the tiny wires broke on the bridge pickup. I think they are called lead wires? anyways I never really like the tone from the bridge pickup, and It wasnt just me who didnt like it, a couple of my friends (guitairist) and even a music teacher has commented on it. it seems to be lacking something and its a bit dark. I was thinking about getting a different pickup for the bridge but i've been worried that a different pickup might not match with the revtron (filtertron copy) in the neck very well.

www.guitarfetish.com has filtertron style pickups if you want to go that route
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Buying a new guitar aside, I'd say replacing the pickup in the Buckshot is a worthwhile endeavor. I don't own a Buckshot, but I do love me some Revs- I own a Roundhouse, Rick Vito sig, Manta Ray 390 and a Flatroc 15th anniversary.

The Buckshot has the Tele-style pickup in the bridge, and none of the ones I own has that pickup, so I can't talk about its character. I'll assume you tried fiddling with the Tone & Bass Contour knobs before it actually broke, and simply didn't find its tone acceptible.

The RevTron mini-H pickups in the neck are similar to but hotter than traditional FillerTron pickups.

What I would do: contact Reverend directly describing your predicament, and ask for the specs on the pickups in question. With that info in hand- if they send it to you- you can shop around for a replacement. Between the stock offerings and the custom winders out there, you should be able to find a good match for your purposes. (I have a few suspects in mind, but I'll leave off until you have more info.)

Now, to your MAIN question...

What kind of music do you intend to play? What kind of budget do you have? Are you willing to purchase used gear?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Robbgnarly
www.guitarfetish.com has filtertron style pickups if you want to go that route

I think he's concerned with matching a new t-style pickup with the RevTron, not replace the RevTron.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

first off you should replace that pickup

thennn buy yourself a shiny new Prs SE custom 24
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
I know i took forever to respond, but ive been busy. Talked a friend who suggested lalor Vintage T pickup for the bridge for a tele sound. any reason the pickup wouldnt work on my reverend?
Physically, it should fit. Don't know about the output, though.

You could contact Reverend. They're a small company, and they've been responsive to my enquiries in the past. One of their number- Ken Haas- has even posted in the Reverend thread here.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1600850&page=1&pp=20
http://www.reverendguitars.com/about/

Their forum might also have answers.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 6, 2015,
Quote by Tony Done
If it's the bridge pickup that is broken and also the one you don't like, I would be inclined to try a replacement and keep it...

Absolutely. That sounds like the ideal scenario - don't like the PUP, oh it's broken.

If you still want a new guitar after that you should more than cover the outlay on the PUP (assuming you don't go overly silly and exotic) by selling a working guitar.
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.