Page 1 of 2
I've had around 8 jobs (I think) in about a years time. Most of them last less than a week. I just quit my dishwasher job because I was too nervous. I go thearpy and he tries his best to reassure me that there is nothing to worry about at work but it's useless. I should be at work right now but instead I went to the park instead because I was too nervous to go into work. I'm going to stay for a few hours by myself because I don't want to go home and tell my parents I quit another job.
I just want to know that I did all I could with what I was given.
What? You're speaking too quietly and I can't hear you.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Did you think the dishes were judging you?
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by mabbamam
Are you taking any medications?

Yeah
Quote by behind_you
i'm amazed you were able to land 8 jobs this year alone let alone quit 8

Apparently I interview well
Quote by behind_you
the man who's too nervous to go to work interviews well

ok

OpieOP

What does OpieOP mean?
So speaking in general as if you don't have something genetically wrong, which it doesn't seem because you seem articulate, the medications are probably your issue. They change your brain chemistry. And make your brain make wrong pathways when stress or other emotions arise. And when you go to a doc who prescribes medicine over and over again, its only changing your brain chemistry more, and making a normal brain more fucked up.
I've applied all year and never got hired.
Xbox Live: DeSquared94
PSN: desquared94
I am interested to see how this thread plays out

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by Ablast
I've applied all year and never got hired.

Sorry to hear that. Keep trying.
Quote by mabbamam
So speaking in general as if you don't have something genetically wrong, which it doesn't seem because you seem articulate, the medications are probably your issue. They change your brain chemistry. And make your brain make wrong pathways when stress or other emotions arise. And when you go to a doc who prescribes medicine over and over again, its only changing your brain chemistry more, and making a normal brain more fucked up.

Brilliant work Dr. Oz
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Most of the jobs I have quit were because I started getting really anxious during work and I dreaded going to work. In my case the anxiety was basically just my reaction to an awful work environment. The jobs I quit were ones I wasn't planning to stay in for the long term anyway so I was okay with quitting but I also learned coping strategies for the future, if I'm working somewhere that's bad for me and I am unable to leave.

If your current therapist isn't helping you with your situation consider looking for another one who has a different approach.
cat
Where do you live that you can get hired so easily?
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
The Des Moines, Iowa area.
Quote by mr.******

Oh that explains it. No one wants to live there.

Have your tried a new shrink? Sometimes a new perspective can help.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by mr.******

Maybe all of the stress in your life stems from the fact that you live in Des Moines.
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
Quote by Most_Triumphant
Oh that explains it. No one wants to live there.

Have your tried a new shrink? Sometimes a new perspective can help.

Ha. I love Des Moines.

Yeah I've had three and this guy is pretty good and I think it's best I stay with him.
Quote by HardAttack
Maybe all of the stress in your life stems from the fact that you live in Des Moines.

I love Des Moines. Ha. What's up with you guys hating Des Moines.
Quote by mr.******
What does OpieOP mean?
He's a twitchfag. Ignore him
Quote by mr.******
Apparently I interview well
That's weird, I'm the opposite. Even when I've refreshed my memory on how to answer the usually interview questions, I'm still nervous.
Quote by slash_page10
He's a twitchfag. Ignore him
That's weird, I'm the opposite. Even when I've refreshed my memory on how to answer the usually interview questions, I'm still nervous.

I still get nervous during interviews but I guess it doesn't show. Anyway maybe you over prepare for them. I usually go in with no game plan and kind of wing it.
Have you considered working from home? Some telemarketing / phone center style places allow that.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
Have you considered working from home? Some telemarketing / phone center style places allow that.

Not really. Not a bad idea though. Thanks
can you identify what kinds of things specifically make you anxious? do you get too in your head while you dishwash or are your coworkers heckling you? do you have a hard time finding out you did something wrong? are there specific instances you can recall that made you extra anxious?
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by vintage x metal
can you identify what kinds of things specifically make you anxious? do you get too in your head while you dishwash or are your coworkers heckling you? do you have a hard time finding out you did something wrong? are there specific instances you can recall that made you extra anxious?

It was all in my head. My coworkers were fine and very helpful. The two main things that made me nervous was the fact that I didn't know where things went and I had to ask my coworkers a million times where things went which made me fell stupid. The other thing was the fact that I was slow. My boss said that I should be done around 10:30 except for Friday nights which I might get done at 11:30. Thursday night I got done at 11:30 and Friday I got done at 12:30. This made me feel horrible. I didn't think I would get any faster or learn where things went so I quit.
if you're not in school like that i'd be shocked if your parents didn't kick you out till you demonstrate you have some semblance of being able to function without dying as an adult

tough love is important
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by mr.******
It was all in my head. My coworkers were fine and very helpful. The two main things that made me nervous was the fact that I didn't know where things went and I had to ask my coworkers a million times where things went which made me fell stupid. The other thing was the fact that I was slow. My boss said that I should be done around 10:30 except for Friday nights which I might get done at 11:30. Thursday night I got done at 11:30 and Friday I got done at 12:30. This made me feel horrible. I didn't think I would get any faster or learn where things went so I quit.

Okay awesome. I think that's what makes a LOT of people nervous at first (especially when they are not used to working in service positions.) I have had friends who have quit lots of service jobs that my husband and I had worked for years (dishing, cooking, serving, etc.) within the first month because they thought it would be fun/easy and then felt stupid once they got there. Not saying you thought it would be easy, just saying that it's a lot harder than people often expect.

I mean, there are lots of different options. You may have learned through your experiences that a food service job just isn't for you. Maybe you need to work somewhere that has less to do with time and more to do with product (you could help pick produce at a farm or do desk work for a gym or some other small facility or work at a call desk or library, perhaps.) Or you could take some of this reflection that you've gained (many people don't take the time to reflect as you've done) and use it as motivation to stick to a job for at least six months, no matter how dumb you feel at first.

I got fired from my first serving job because I let my anxiety get to me and it was making my boss feel bad and she was tired of it. I didn't take criticism very well, even though people were really just trying to teach me where stuff went. I felt dumb, especially because I was the youngest. When I train people at the bakery, I try to remind them that the place is disorganized and it takes a really long time to learn where everything is so that they don't get discouraged. A lot of bosses like to throw people in the water, however, and see whether they sink or swim. A lot of getting through that is just controlling your nerves with coping mechanisms. Why do you think so many people in food service smoke cigarettes? Because it's a stress reliever and it gives them a second to leave their situation and calm down and reflect. Sometimes I'd take my bathroom breaks as an opportunity to be alone and calm down if I felt panicked. You don't have to be perfect, but you do have to be tough in that industry. It may simply not be a good fit for you, but if it's something you wanna try, just remember not to be so hard on yourself, and that it gets much better after a month. Bonding with your coworkers is also awesome and makes staying at a job much easier, but it takes a second.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Not sure what to say to all of that but thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it.
Quote by mabbamam

Don't try to give people medical advice when you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.
Quote by mr.******
I've had around 8 jobs (I think) in about a years time. Most of them last less than a week. I just quit my dishwasher job because I was too nervous. I go thearpy and he tries his best to reassure me that there is nothing to worry about at work but it's useless. I should be at work right now but instead I went to the park instead because I was too nervous to go into work. I'm going to stay for a few hours by myself because I don't want to go home and tell my parents I quit another job.

Remember the second scene in the movie saving Pvt. Ryan? When they were on those boats going ashore and Tom Hanks was terrified. That was me going into work.

I would get up at 4:30 AM and take the medicine, handful barbiturates to control epilepsy, then I would go back to bed and get a a few hours later because it takes a while for that medicine to get into your bloodstream and start working.

When I got to work I was terrified extremely tired at the same time. I felt sick terrified and very tired.

Most times I was okay, a lot of times I wasnt . When I felt a seizure coming on I would run outside and find a soft spot. Sometimes it was snowdrift.

The plastic injection molding press heated to 300 some degrees closing with tons of pressure looked like a tank. The hard cement floor looked like machine gun nests.

It took a few years but I realized doing a regular job wasn't a fit . Even without the epilepsy I didn't have the mentality for it.

I have had a particularly long and fascinating life.
Last edited by yope at Sep 21, 2015,
Quote by yope

yope I want to be as badass as you when I grow up
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
Don't try to give people medical advice when you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.

What i said is literally what can happen to your brain. Neural pathways are changed by behavior and chemical changes. He having chemical changes from medication causing neural pathways changes, changing his behavior, his behavior causing more neural pathway changes, causing a major chemical imbalance and behavior disorders.
So ditto motherfucker LOL Looks like you could use some god damn idea yourself
Quote by yope

i'll be hoenst, hopign to have this mentality when i get old and die has revolutionised me for real. like being able to laugh at life's ironies when the bus' automated voice thin says "make sure you have all your electronic belongings with you", thirty minutes after you realised you lost your headphones

like mad stories is what it is you know.
it's all coming back

Quote by Baby Joel
i'll be hoenst, hopign to have this mentality when i get old and die has revolutionised me for real. like being able to laugh at life's ironies when the bus' automated voice thin says "make sure you have all your electronic belongings with you", thirty minutes after you realised you lost your headphones

like mad stories is what it is you know.

my life changed completely after I decided to live my life for the lulz. this was about 6 months after my trip to the psych ward. it's easier to cope with things when you let it be an interesting story or opportunity rather than a reminder of how hopeless things are. it was helpful reading vonnegut and watching comedians (well, some comedians...)

have curbed on the lulz a little bit since then but taught me some good skills
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by mabbamam
What i said is literally what can happen to your brain. Neural pathways are changed by behavior and chemical changes. He having chemical changes from medication causing neural pathways changes, changing his behavior, his behavior causing more neural pathway changes, causing a major chemical imbalance and behavior disorders.
So ditto motherfucker LOL Looks like you could use some god damn idea yourself

yeh but let's be real, you got no clue who this guy is nahmean. like yeah maybe he just needs a confidence boost from a father figure or whatever, but medication can seriously change the game. Without meds I'd be dead, proper like.

this is the reason psychiatrists have to go through shed loads of study to be able to fill a prescription form. And yeah the science isn't perfect, but it's so irrational to dismiss it all because benzos give you a buzz.

I recognise the notion of brain chemistry and imbalances, but what you're saying really only seems to apply in the world where everyone's brain is factory settings from birth. It's not. And even for disorders that are developed as reactions to events (PTSD and whatnot) like what else you gonna do? I'm fine getting on seven different prescriptions because so far it's kept me from getting in the hospital again. I'm coming off some of them, and trying to get to the base level, and hopefully I'll get off them then, but it has literally saved my life.

So yeah pr much. what you're saying isn't false it's just not applied correctly
it's all coming back

Page 1 of 2