Ok, so I used to have a Kemper and it was incredible, but I just wasn't using enough tones to justify keeping it around, so I sold it. I've been mainly playing my tube amps since. But on a whim I get this BIAS software (BIAS and the FX complement) and I gotta say, it is stupid good.

I run it through high quality studio headphones as well as direct to a Yamaha DXR10, and I don't remember my Kemper sounding better than this. Once I nailed a tone I liked I was actually a little embarrassed that I spent all that dough on the Kemper when I could have gotten it out of the BIAS. Maybe I would think differently if I did a true A/B side by side. I don't know. But with the BIAS at $175 and Kemper at $2300, I can say for sure there isn't $2000+ difference in tone. I'm not sure there's $20 difference in tone.

Here is one thing that really gets me: with any other digital amp/software, I always had "the fizz," which you need a low pass to zap out. With BIAS, there is no annoying fizz to filter out, and I am talking with heavy chugging rhythm metal tones.

Anyone who's used both come to the same conclusion? I am basing my view mainly on heavy rhythm guitar tones, from Sabbath to Priest to Metallica to some more recent stuff. Maybe for other types of music the difference is clearer.
I thought Bias sounded like shit but I only had the demo.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
The latency bugs me. I can't stand even a bit of it. Bias needs a dedicated audio interface device for it like line 6 pod/gx/toneport series that completely eliminates the latency.

By itself as software, you can only at most depend on it for recording but not for actual playing because it won't feel right due to the latency. Yes I am using asio4all and it still doesn't cut it. It needs a native asio driver with it's own audio interface or it's own hardware which they're in development now.
Ive never used a Kemper, but I have used Bias. I thought Bias sounded good. Just as good (no better or worse) than other software modellers, Peavey Revalver. I actually like Revalver better only because I really enjoy the interface, but the sound quality is probably equal.

My 2cents is this- the Kemper is a lot more expensive because of the fact that it is an interface, preamp, modeller all rolled into one piece of physical hardware. If you use software like revalver or bias, you wont be getting the most from it unless you buy a good audio interface (which will run you $450-800; i personally own a rme babyface which cost $500). Kemper also matches the tones of all other amplifiers which is its selling point- idk if bias or revalver does that yet, but thats a valuable feature.

In the end- I personally prefer software. I think hardware like the kemper is overpriced, but I can also see why its more expensive. Some people prefer having a tangible knob to turn
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

I'm running it through a Focusrite 6i6. At some point I'd like to trade up to a Babyface as I've heard great things about them, but for now the 6i6 is doing the trick.

Not getting any perceivable latency. If it's there I sure can't notice it.
Quote by sfx
The latency bugs me. I can't stand even a bit of it. Bias needs a dedicated audio interface device for it like line 6 pod/gx/toneport series that completely eliminates the latency.

By itself as software, you can only at most depend on it for recording but not for actual playing because it won't feel right due to the latency. Yes I am using asio4all and it still doesn't cut it. It needs a native asio driver with it's own audio interface or it's own hardware which they're in development now.

How much latency is too much?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
If you think about it, you're using the processing power of your PC, which you should also add to the cost, so the Kemper is a modeler plus a PC in essence, all in a compact and transportable package. I am not surprised you're getting close to the sounds though, most of today's sims are about as good as the all-in-one emulators (Kemper, Axe-Fx) but don't forget that they serve a different public. Taking a PC to a gig is a disaster waiting to happen but the Kemper or Axe-Fx are easily better in that situation as you can rackmount them and call it a day.
Quote by diabolical
If you think about it, you're using the processing power of your PC, which you should also add to the cost, so the Kemper is a modeler plus a PC in essence, all in a compact and transportable package. I am not surprised you're getting close to the sounds though, most of today's sims are about as good as the all-in-one emulators (Kemper, Axe-Fx) but don't forget that they serve a different public. Taking a PC to a gig is a disaster waiting to happen but the Kemper or Axe-Fx are easily better in that situation as you can rackmount them and call it a day.

True, though at the same time I would have had the same PC if I didn't play guitar, so it's more like interface + software. Not sure about the Axe FX but the Kemper requires an external interface to get the signal into a DAW.

For a professional musician (which I am not) I can see there being some clear advantages to the Kemper/Axe quite apart from tone.
Just keeps getting better. Plugged the output of my Focusrite into the FX loop return of my tube amp, then into my 2x12 and man, the tone is killer. Really thick and authentic sounding at all volumes. Sounds like a 'finished' studio tone coming out of my cab!
Quote by PB26
Just keeps getting better. Plugged the output of my Focusrite into the FX loop return of my tube amp, then into my 2x12 and man, the tone is killer. Really thick and authentic sounding at all volumes. Sounds like a 'finished' studio tone coming out of my cab!

Hmm i need to try this.
Quote by 7thString
Hmm i need to try this.

me too. how does it work exactly?

EDIT: if you want to bypass the preamp, go ahead and plug the output of the modeler into the effects return of the amp.

cool, using it right now with my multieffect. never heard a delay so clean in my life coming from my amp.
Since 2002 using UG. This page teached me how to play guitar and help'd me to embrace the passion of my life: Music.
Last edited by tiky at Sep 26, 2015,
Yeah, when you plug your modeller output into the effects loop return (which is basically a power section input) you're bypassing the preamp -- the amp head is now just a power amp. Don't forget to turn off your modeller's cab sim or it'll sound a little weird and distant.

Your interface volume knob controls volume but the amp head's presence control will still function because unlike the EQ knobs, it's tied to the power section. If your head has a separate master volume it will also still work because it's linked to the power section as well.

Here's a video tutorial I found for anyone who is unsure of how to do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQn4rIFOkQs

And a cool demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUjh-nM9qkU&spfreload=10
Last edited by PB26 at Sep 26, 2015,
Well, I own both Bias and Kemper, for a long time I've played Bias to practice at home and it sounded good enough to me, then I bought a Kemper, played it for a couple of months, and I decided to try Bias again to see if the diference was that great, and I thought myself "How the hell did I think that this shit sounded good?"
Not saying that you can't get a good tone out of Bias, I do believe that with some tweaking you can get there, but there is no coming back to bias for me...
Besides, I do need kemper for live performances as well

but who knows? Mind sharing some Bias presets so I can make some comparisons?
Last edited by anowaz at Oct 16, 2015,