So I bought an amt stonehead sh50-4. I watched all the videos I could find and read several reviews. It seemed pretty good. So I bought it. I got it home and plugged it in and it sounds good. However, it's a weenie. I wanted an amp I can gig with. I think I can do that....if I crank this thing. I play my 6505+ Combo (60 watts) at about number 4 on my gain channel. Occasionally about 5 for larger venues. This amt sounds about equal to my peavey'a number 5 when its cranked. I like the amp. And I want a solid state amp to gig with. I'll keep my tubes for home use. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've never had to turn my peavey up past 5. So I think I can use the stonehead. But I'll be cranking it.
I appreciate any input
Stick a mic in front of it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I could. But I'm trying not to have to mic it. If I was gunna do that I'd just run through the pa.
Even when running a big amp you should be miking it up - otherwise how can the sound guy alter it in the FoH mix?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
We don't play gigs with a sound guy. We're the sound guys. We don't have a sound guy. We just even out our amps
why not just use your 6505 1x12? They are pretty cheap used if your worried about it getting wrecked. $350 all day
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Because I can't get the thing to work. Reliability cannot be put in the same sentence as that peavey. But I've been over that in multiple other threads. I have decided it won't work because it jiggles too much when I drive. The roads around here are complete s**t. It sounds good but I can't keep it working. And I've been trying to for over a month now, I'm done with that. That's why I'm getting a new amp.
As much as I like this amp I think I'm going to send it back and get a Marshall valve state. My brother has one and it's amazing. And I like this amt, but it is just so quiet
You think that a Valvestate sounds amazing?
I'm out.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Heck yeah. I mean, it's not even near comparable to my engl. But for a gig-worthy transistor amp it sounds pretty freakin good to me.
How did you EQ the amp ? You need a lot of mids to cut through. How much mids are you giving it ?
Quote by Lgarretto
Because I can't get the thing to work. Reliability cannot be put in the same sentence as that peavey. But I've been over that in multiple other threads. I have decided it won't work because it jiggles too much when I drive. The roads around here are complete s**t. It sounds good but I can't keep it working. And I've been trying to for over a month now, I'm done with that. That's why I'm getting a new amp.
As much as I like this amp I think I'm going to send it back and get a Marshall valve state. My brother has one and it's amazing. And I like this amt, but it is just so quiet

dude has it occured to you that it's just YOUR 6505 and perhaps getting another one would be a good solution. as a long time peavey user they usually are built really solid (even the chiese made one) you may just have a lemon. seems to me that a little cushoning would solve the transport problem. i live in the country and know all about bumpy crap roads. with all the probelms you've had with that amp it seems like you'd have sent it downthe road already. we all end up with gear that just doesn't work right at some point, i just don't hang on to those things.

oh and marshall valvestates aren't a great gigging option.
Yes. I do believe it is just my amp. I love peavey as well. I think it is just a problem with my particular amp. Always have. However I can't figure out what the problem is. And I've just kinda given up. It works fine at my house.
As for my mids I usually scoop the crap out of them so I will try adding more.
Quote by Lgarretto
Yes. I do believe it is just my amp. I love peavey as well. I think it is just a problem with my particular amp. Always have. However I can't figure out what the problem is. And I've just kinda given up. It works fine at my house.
As for my mids I usually scoop the crap out of them so I will try adding more.

Yeah scooping the mids means you will not be heard unless you have a really power amp, and even then you have to be stupid loud. Add some mids and see if that helps your situation.

also putting the amp on a stand or chair can be really helpful
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yes. And adding some mids helped dramatically. Also I suppose using a larger cabinet will probably help. The biggest I have is a 212.

So as it all turns out I'm just ******ed I guess
That's pretty much my only complaint with the Stonehead...wish they were louder. Mine's loud enough for band practice/jamming at home, but at a gig I either need to mic up or use the line/speaker sim out.. (not a problem for me though). Adding some mids will definitely help..so will more sensitive speakers...
Last edited by GodOfEmptyness at Sep 22, 2015,
Well we don't mic anything. The drums are not amplified at all. So all our shows are essentially the same volume because we have to just even out with the drummer. But we do that singularly. With just the amps. (We do run the bass and 3 vocals through the pa. 2 are just backup vocals). And I run my peavey with no pedals at about half. A little less maybe. So right now I like the stonehead, I'm just trying to decide if it's going to be loud enough to be worth keeping.
What cab is it? Maybe get some more efficient (louder) speakers in there.
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Mic it FFS. Hire a sound guy or just set the shit up yourself.

If you want a VS get the VS100 or a VS8100. Killer amps.

And check out a Randall RG1503H or the bigger one, the RG300H.

And don't scoop mids.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Lgarretto
Yes. And adding some mids helped dramatically. Also I suppose using a larger cabinet will probably help. The biggest I have is a 212.

So as it all turns out I'm just ******ed I guess

4x12 will give you another 3db, the technical equivalent of doubling your amp's power.

Or as noted, more efficient speakers in your 2x12 could accomplish the same thing. What speakers are in there currently?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Yeah my brother has a vs100. I don't like the Randalls. Personally anyway. The Marshall sounds okay to me though.

Okay. Yeah I will try to get a larger cab and see if that doesn't do the trick. The speakers in my 212 are celestion greenbacks. The speaker in my 112 is a eminence man o war
Quote by Lgarretto
Yeah my brother has a vs100. I don't like the Randalls. Personally anyway. The Marshall sounds okay to me though.

Okay. Yeah I will try to get a larger cab and see if that doesn't do the trick. The speakers in my 212 are celestion greenbacks. The speaker in my 112 is a eminence man o war

The sensitivity of the greenbacks is 98db, the MOW is 101.6db.

A couple of speakers with 101db or better sensitivity in your 2x12 will make a world of difference as regards volume.

If you get a bigger cab, but the speakers are lower sensitivity, you will accomplish nothing.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin