Page 1 of 5
Read the comments... very interesting.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/09/ex-hedge-funder-buys-rights-aids-drug-and-raises-price-from-13-50-to-750-per-pill/comments/#disqus

A former hedge fund manager turned pharmaceutical businessman has purchased the rights to a 62-year-old drug used for treating life-threatening parasitic infections and raised the price overnight from $13.50 per tablet to $750.

WATCH: Ex-hedge funder who hiked AIDS pill cost by 5,500 percent says drug ‘still underpriced’

According to the New York Times, Martin Shkreli, 32, the founder and chief executive of Turing Pharmaceuticals, purchased the rights to Daraprim for $55 million on the same day that Turing announced it had raised $90 million from Shkreli and other investors in its first round of financing.

Daraprim is used for treating toxoplasmosis — an opportunistic parasitic infection that can cause serious or even life-threatening problems in babies and for people with compromised immune systems like AIDS patients and certain cancer patients — that sold for slightly over $1 a tablet several years ago. Prices have increased as the rights to the drug have been passed from one pharmaceutical company to the next, but nothing like the almost 5,500 percent increase since Shkreli acquired it.
I don't agree that this is capitalism at it's finest. in fact, one would argue that this is one of capitlism's lowest moments
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
CAPITALISM
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
What an utter scumbag.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Dirge Humani
listen its not this guys fault not enough people have aids to make this drug to fix aids profitable at an affordable price maybe more people should have gotten aids and the market would have stabilized itself huh ever think of that why are you all so selfish

62 YR OLD DRUG ,PARASITIC INFECTION ,hes a subhuman .
Quote by Baby Joel
I don't agree that this is capitalism at it's finest. in fact, one would argue that this is one of capitlism's lowest moments

But one could also argue that this is capitalism operating exactly as intended
Quote by TheChaz
But one could also argue that this is capitalism operating exactly as intended

I wouldn't even say one can argue. This is literally how capitalism was intended to work.
- Gibson SG 1961 Re-issue
- Fender Stratocaster
- Egnater Rebel-30
- Dunlop Crybaby Classic Wah Pedal
He is not reacting or handling this very well. However, I hesitate to think he would have brought this IP just to jack up the price and watch that money roll in. At the very least, can there really be so many others within the company that unconscionable?

There is likely a more nuanced objective to what they're trying to do. He claims they're trying to use the funding to improve the efficacy of the drug, and another source indicated the company is accommodating the poor who can't afford it. I'm not saying we should just take their word for it, but I think it's too soon to break out the pitchforks...

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
i predict that this thread will continue to have intelligent, well-reasoned responses to the situation
I read about this yesterday and on those sites where comments available, the mob were obviously furious. I understand their sentiments and usually I would have wished the worst of deaths upon him as well, but then I actually read the WHOLE article and listened to the interview. The guy says that they sell half of the pills for 1$ each or even give away for free to those who can't afford it. Obviously, you gotta take statements like this with a pinch of salt, but it should be enough to put the lynching of the guy on a halt. At least for a while.

So how about trying to find some information about his statement before declaring him to be Satan? This dude might be the modern Robin Hood! I know, the chances of this being true are almost non-existent, but you know, criticism of the sources etc...
this
Yes, this is capitalism at it's worst. Still beats communism at it's worst, where people stand in bread lines and get executed for disrespecting The Great And Glorious Leader.
Quote by yope
62 YR OLD DRUG ,PARASITIC INFECTION ,hes a subhuman .

With the proper legal trickery, you can extend the patent on a drug to maybe 25 years.

There is no way in hell that drug is still in patent; therefore any company with the facilities to make it can make and market a generic version. And undercut the fuck out of him.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
As an Englishman, this concept of price abuse on live saving medicine is somewhat foreign and disgusting.

A lot like Cameron, in a way.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Pretty gross; doesn't surprise me. Shit like this is why I'm not fond of free-market cap. Just enables exploitation with little regard for others OR the future economy, only much more aggressively.

Quote by GFraser
Yes, this is capitalism at it's worst. Still beats communism at it's worst, where people stand in bread lines and get executed for disrespecting The Great And Glorious Leader.
...which by nature isn't communism
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Banjocal
Pretty gross; doesn't surprise me. Shit like this is why I'm not fond of free-market cap. Just enables exploitation with little regard for others OR the future economy, only much more aggressively.

...which by nature isn't communism

Because people are evidently not really ready for communism. If they were, they wouldn't need a glorious leader to follow.
Quote by Diemon Dave
I'm ready for cummunism
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by eGraham
I'm ready for cummunism

As long as it's been 20 minutes since I had a wank(*checks watch* yup), I'm good to go.
Quote by Diemon Dave
20 minutes is impressive. I have to wait at least 40 or 50 before I attempt another economical revolution/ejaculation.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
I'm always asking daddy Marx for cummiesnism.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by eGraham
20 minutes is impressive. I have to wait at least 40 or 50 before I attempt another economical revolution/ejaculation.

Well, 20 minutes to start again. Finishing with a flourish again... that's why second time round is slow and easy.
Quote by Diemon Dave
I need at least an hour or two before I can really enjoy another cummunist revolution. If I try before that it's just really numb, doesn't even feel like I'm erecting a new world on the rubble of the old one, 'knawmsayin?

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
"History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce."

Seems about right in my case.
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; man got to tell himself he understand.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2015/09/21/ceo-of-company-that-raised-the-price-of-old-pill-hundreds-of-dollars-overnight-calls-journalist-a-moron-for-asking-why/?tid=sm_tw

I'd love for this guy to get punched really hard in the face, but if he gets driven out of the company and the price gets knocked back down that's good too.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
With the proper legal trickery, you can extend the patent on a drug to maybe 25 years.

There is no way in hell that drug is still in patent; therefore any company with the facilities to make it can make and market a generic version. And undercut the fuck out of him.

It is the generic, and they are the only ones making it. Anyone else wanting to will have to go through years of development and approvals to reach market.
Quote by JackalUK
It is the generic, and they are the only ones making it. Anyone else wanting to will have to go through years of development and approvals to reach market.

Then in the meantime, we'll have to mass cull all the domestic, stray and wild animal hosts for the parasite.
Quote by Diemon Dave
What a greedy, heartless little prick.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Has it not occured to him that if the drug is really expensive nobody will be able to buy it and he won't make any money whatsoever?
I have nothing important to say
Quote by JackSaints
Has it not occured to him that if the drug is really expensive nobody will be able to buy it and he won't make any money whatsoever?

I suspect he already knows that there have been a lot of difficulties in obtaining supplies, even for large hospital pharmacies.

Demand greatly outstrips supply, so he can charge pretty much whatever, because he's going to fuck the poor like he's a posh bastard at oxbridge, and they're pig's heads.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I suspect he already knows that there have been a lot of difficulties in obtaining supplies, even for large hospital pharmacies.

Demand greatly outstrips supply, so he can charge pretty much whatever, because he's going to fuck the poor like he's a posh bastard at oxbridge, and they're pig's heads.

Dick-in-a-pig joke, nice
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; man got to tell himself he understand.

Quote by Xiaoxi
He is not reacting or handling this very well. However, I hesitate to think he would have brought this IP just to jack up the price and watch that money roll in. At the very least, can there really be so many others within the company that unconscionable?

There is likely a more nuanced objective to what they're trying to do. He claims they're trying to use the funding to improve the efficacy of the drug, and another source indicated the company is accommodating the poor who can't afford it. I'm not saying we should just take their word for it, but I think it's too soon to break out the pitchforks...

I love squirmy apologists.
Page 1 of 5