Page 1 of 2
What kind of pedal will boost, sustain and do artificial harmonics for my single coil strat?
What's your current setup? We'll need to know amp, pedals, and some specifics on the guitar(make and model), as well.

The artificial harmonics, though... that's a technique thing, more than a gear thing.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by slapsymcdougal
What's your current setup? We'll need to know amp, pedals, and some specifics on the guitar(make and model), as well.

The artificial harmonics, though... that's a technique thing, more than a gear thing.

agree. look dude i play strats and use them for metal but can't answer your ? without more info.
The SD Booster has a switch for SC or humbucker emulation. Digital multiFX have similar things.

I've found that I can put anything through my LBM Pi, and it all comes out pretty much the same; I've no doubt that artificial harmonics would be good. So if you are using boosted highly distorted sounds, the pickup becomes less of an issue.
MI Audio Crunch Box! If you have a decent amp. I get some classy, brutal, frickin' distortion using a sc Mustang through a clean, Fender flavored amp, just by kicking on the Crunch Box. It does have a distinctly Marshall flavor to it but I dig that.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I'd start with a good humbucker in the bridge - either full size if you can get a HSS pick guard or a single coil sized humbucker like a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails or JB Jr.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
I'd start with a good humbucker in the bridge - either full size if you can get a HSS pick guard or a single coil sized humbucker like a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails or JB Jr.

+1

Some things will work alright, but overall a pedal won't make your Strat into a good metal guitar
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
I second the Hotrail. I put one in my strat and it made a world of difference. Those things are mean.
ESP Iron Cross Sig model, Fernandes RetroRocket Sunburst, Taylor 214CE, Peavey XXX Super 40, DimeBag Crybaby from Hell, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, MXR Chorus, and a Flashback Delay and Looper.
+1 on a humbucker.

a tubescreamer or sd1 (or clone) will help too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have humbucker guitars that I can run through my line six that scream metal. My strat I installed 500k pots and stacked single coils. I'm just looking for a pedal that can boost it up with lots of sustain. Hendrix used pedals to boost his stock strat.

Oh yeah thanks for the fernandize link that shit screams, but I'm just looking for a pedal.
Last edited by attilathehun at Sep 22, 2015,
Quote by attilathehun
I have humbucker guitars that I can run through my line six that scream metal. My strat I installed 500k pots and stacked single coils. I'm just looking for a pedal that can boost it up with lots of sustain. Hendrix used pedals to boost his stock strat.

wel knowing what amp you use would help. i use a Digitech Hardwire CM-2 overdrive with my strats when i want a more metal sound. hendrix used a fuzz pedal for that purpose but of course that was what was available at the time. if you wantto sound like hendrix then a dunlop fuzzface is the plan. for metal an overdrive provided you have a tube amp. if not then you'll most likely need a distortion pedal.again knowing waht you have amp wise would really help.
Quote by monwobobbo
wel knowing what amp you use would help. i use a Digitech Hardwire CM-2 overdrive with my strats when i want a more metal sound. hendrix used a fuzz pedal for that purpose but of course that was what was available at the time. if you wantto sound like hendrix then a dunlop fuzzface is the plan. for metal an overdrive provided you have a tube amp. if not then you'll most likely need a distortion pedal.again knowing waht you have amp wise would really help.
Line Six Spider IV 75. NOt Jimmi but crunching/harmonics metal.
Using overdrive or booster pedals in front of that amp may not turn out great. I have done so in an attempt to get a better sound out of my friends, it turned into a muddy mess.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by attilathehun
Line Six Spider IV 75. NOt Jimmi but crunching/harmonics metal.

probably not the answer you want but honestly a new amp. modeling amps tend to not play well with many pedals especially distortion. that amp has several high gain amp models as well as overdrives etc. not sure what exactly you are getting at with crunching harmonics metal. please give example. perhaps you need to explore your amp models and setting a bit more.

if you go into my profile there is a link to some of my originals most of which were recorded with single coil strats and a line 6 POD.
Just for another insight, I was playing my MIM strat stock into my Peavey Vypyr for a quick practice. The clean settings sounded good.

For kicks I switched to a Dual Rec, Modern emulation and it sounded horrible. I then turned on the amp's embedded tube screamer as a boost and it still sounded horrible. Same with the 6505 setting.

The JSX setting sounded much better actually.

I guess the point here is getting the right guitar and amp for the job. Maybe try a different setting on your amp or get a different amp or a pre amp pedal plugged into the FX Return (if you have one) on your amp.

Also I wouldn't put Hendrix in the same category as Metal by today's standards either. A strat with a Fuzz pedal into a loud as shit Marshall Plexi type in the 60's/70's is way different than metal today.

If you like the way your other guitars sound into your amp but want the strat to sound the same, the only variable you've changed is the guitar and therein lies your issue.

Maybe the pickup you put in your strat is not cutting it for the sounds you want?

Unless I'm missing something. Do you just want something to add sustain into your Spider?
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 22, 2015,
I was going to suggest Hot Rails but then I saw the amp.

Through the right rig, Hot Rails sound great. They don't quite hold up next to EMGs or a DiMarzio Crunch Lab but they help you achieve a solid metal tone with a single coil Strat, provided the rest of your rig is up to scratch.

The Spider is not a good enough amp to warranty a pickup swap, and it is also a modeller which further reduces the impact a pickup swap will have.

And artifical harmonics are a technique thing. Even with a Spider and an un-modded Strat you should be able to do this if you have the technique down.
The Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster pedal can boost the output of a single coil by 25dB while making it sound more like a humbucker via a Resonance switch.
Quote by diabolical
Just swap the pickguard with a 2 humbucker setup, something like the SH2 or SH4 in bridge and Jazz in neck, or PAF in neck and a Dimarzio Distortion in bridge.

isn't the sh2 the jazz?

Quote by dementiacaptain
I have done so in an attempt to get a better sound out of my friends, it turned into a muddy mess.

Yeah plugging a pedal into your friend never turns out well, I find.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Depends on the friend. I get cool noises out of mine when I do that.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I plugged into my friend once and my guitar gently wept.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by Dave_Mc
isn't the sh2 the jazz?

Yeah plugging a pedal into your friend never turns out well, I find.

Hey man, there's some kinky folks out there. Keep an open mind, I found that to be the best policy.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by Random3
And artifical harmonics are a technique thing. Even with a Spider and an un-modded Strat you should be able to do this if you have the technique down.
I have the pinch harmonics technique down. A low bridge(strings 1/2 inch above body) and lots of sustain electronicly plays a role in having the harmonics ring.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Hey man, there's some kinky folks out there. Keep an open mind, I found that to be the best policy.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A Dimarzio Fast Track 2 kin the bridge is brutal, it's like a Dimarzio Super Distortion .... but you may have to put in a 500k ohms volume pot,
Well, metalizing a strat IMO would mean something like this:

Two humbuckers
Floyd(recessed body)

and that's it

Also, a little question, are there hard tail strats other than the Jim Root one?
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
^ the robert cray strat used to be hardtail, but it was sss and i'm not sure if it's still available. there's a 70s hardtail strat but again sss.

the ones with the regular non-recessed trem you can normally make into a pseudo-hardtail though by tightening the springs (or blocking with e.g. wood) and removing the trem arm.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Fryderyczek

Also, a little question, are there hard tail strats other than the Jim Root one?

The Nile Rodgers Hitmaker Strat is a hardtail...and pricey. Possibly also out of production.

This is also out there, in production and affordable:
http://www.fender.com/guitars/stratocaster/limited-edition-70s-hardtail-stratocaster/0170177300.html

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 18, 2015,
Quote by AJ6stringsting
A Dimarzio Fast Track 2 kin the bridge is brutal, it's like a Dimarzio Super Distortion .... but you may have to put in a 500k ohms volume pot,
I installed 500k pots yrs ago. The 500k pots also adds sustain and fullness to those single coils.
unfortunatley as 1 guy pointed out pedals don't work good for my style of amp. Thanks about the fast track. I love dimarzio and next yr gonna get that or dual rails for the bridge.
For a pedal, I can recommend a Duncan Pickup Booster, which boosts the output of a pickup 25dB with a dead clean boost. It also has a switch to make the single coil sound more like a humbucker by lowering the resonant peak. It will get those harmonics out. As a bonus, if you want a normal Strat sound, just turn the pedal off!
No PU or pedal can fix the Spider for even passable Metal tone. Start with a real amp first and then fine tune your tone with pickups. Everything else is just shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic. A Spider 75 makes a good platform to put your real amp on and get it up off the ground.

Think Mesa
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Dec 20, 2015,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Quote by Fryderyczek

The Nile Rodgers Hitmaker Strat is a hardtail...and pricey. Possibly also out of production.

This is also out there, in production and affordable:
http://www.fender.com/guitars/stratocaster/limited-edition-70s-hardtail-stratocaster/0170177300.html

Also, this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111724106872?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Random3I have another amp with a booster pedal. Pinch harmonics are limited with single coils. A good humbucker in the bridge will solve the problem.
Love the emgs in my strat
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by attilathehun
Random3I have another amp with a booster pedal. Pinch harmonics are limited with single coils. A good humbucker in the bridge will solve the problem.

Not sure why you bumped this thread after 7 months to tell me this, but either way if your technique is correct you can do pinch harmonics on single coils no problem. Humbuckers and high gain amplifiers give slightly more margin for error, and also may make them sound better, but they can certainly be done on single coils.
Random3Pinch harmonics on a single coil last a second running it straight through my line 6. On my old randall with a booster/distortion pedal again 1 second. With a descent humbucker 3 seconds.
Page 1 of 2