Hi everyone, I did a search and couldn't find an answer to my question.

My question is, recently my guitar wiring has been giving me trouble with ground wires coming loose. My guitar currently is wired as a standard Les Paul. So I thought this would be a good opportunity to try wiring it like Jimmy Page's Les Paul, like I had always wanted to do.

I found the wiring diagram for Page's Les Paul, it all looks good, but I noticed in the diagram it is showing a humbucker with 5 wires. The humbucker I have in my guitar, I'm pretty sure, have only 2 wires. Is it possible to follow this diagram with having only two wires from my humbuckers? If so, how would I go about it?

Thank you all for your help!
Gear

- Epiphone Les Paul
- SX Strat (w/ Fender Vintage Noisless Pickups, TBX Control, and an active circuit board for +25dB mid boost)
- Marshall DSL40C
ground is ground, it's a trail in and out of the guitar plus grounding the pickups and bridge. Whatever you do don't use the seymourduncan.com wiring for it. It's wrong and they refuse to "fix" it. Lots of guys on the seymour duncan forum even admitted they had troubles as I'm far from a beginner.

guitarelectronics.com has the right diagram but make sure that you place the pots right. I usually use seymour duncan diagrams as it reflects like say standard volume and tone control placement. But then I thought to myself there is ways to top this wiring.

honestly the easiest way to go about this is with seymour duncan triple shots. You get 12 tones for the pickups. The hotter the pickups are the better appreciated any of these wirings are.

the triple shot system requires 4 wire pickups. any brand that you know the color code of. It's 5-8 solders instead of the 40+ jimmy page's is.
series - full power
coil split - splits the humbuckers for that vintage single coil sound
parallel - hum cancelling coiltaps. a weaker sound than a coil split but amazing cleans
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitar-pickup-covers-parts/seymour-duncan-ts-2-triple-shot-carved-top-pickup-mounting-ring

the jimmy page wiring that works is this , there are slightly updated forms of jimmy's wiring someone online did. Your grand total is 21 - 24 tones , you can also hook the capacitors up the vintage way as well as focusing on the push pulls you can do whatever to the wiring of the pots 3 contacts themselves. Makes sense right?

if the out of phase sound you don't care for and just want extreme versatility I've also attached a 24 tone wiring that is more practical than Jimmy Pages wiring. I have a way more advanced version on my photo bucket page but I'm here for ideas as well as discussing stuff is part of the fun on here. My extreme version of this is one volume, 3 band EQ and this. All passive, all cheap components to get.

Last edited by Tallwood13 at Sep 22, 2015,
Thanks so much for your reply!

I'm still a little confused though. On the first diagram that you posted, it's still showing 4 wires coming from the pickups. Mine only has 2. What would I do with the two wires to properly make all the connections work?
Gear

- Epiphone Les Paul
- SX Strat (w/ Fender Vintage Noisless Pickups, TBX Control, and an active circuit board for +25dB mid boost)
- Marshall DSL40C
Your Pickups are internally wired for series operation. Therefore won't be suitable for JP wiring. You can have them converted either by a luthier or yourself. Where it'd worth it or not depends on the pickup's quality and may be more worthwhile to purchase new, four wire pickups.

Edit: Also the original diagrams that copied the JP wiring have a few bugs. Here is the best I've found with all the creases ironed out..

These go to eleven...
Last edited by JimPlaysGuitar at Sep 23, 2015,
You can't use 2 conductor pickups for Jimmy Page wiring. You can either get new pickups, or have those extra wires installed on your pickups. 2 conductor pickups are a more traditional design, and probably what JP used on his classic LPs.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
yeah it is possible to turn a 2 wire to a 4 wire pickup but honestly it's not worth the trouble. What I just do is get a 24 AWG wire and solder it to the coilsplit wires inside the pickup as it's pretty obvious what they are and solder it the way it should be.

but still everyone chimed in and gave great answers

This for example minus the phase reversal in jimmy's wiring does this is much more practical as I am a fan of 12-24 tone (depending on the complexity) wiring. The pro to it is that the knobs layout is easily remembered what it does. With a wiring like it if the pickups are hot enough you'll hardly ever switch guitars unless a string breaks or you need a different tuning. A scalloped fretboard, floyd rose with a D-tuna and or wah pedal or something similar to the line 6 pod live series whatever they call it now and you'd be able to do anything.

Last edited by Tallwood13 at Sep 25, 2015,
Quote by Led Head
So I thought this would be a good opportunity to try wiring it like Jimmy Page's Les Paul, like I had always wanted to do.

You've probably never used an LP wired in that Jimmy Page setup. it's really not worth it.
Quite a lot of the settings really don't sound different enough to bother with, and remembering which pots to pull and which pots to push to get a specific sound that you DO like is a PIA.

What is worth noting, however, is that Jimmy Page didn't use a guitar with the Jimmy Page wiring on the songs he's most noted for. That came later.