can't seem to get a tone like this, especially the intro. How do i achieve this? i was thinking lots of mids and treble with a little bit of over drive???
my modeling amp has the option to either play a amp clean or overdrivern, should i go to the overdriven channel and use that? or use it clean with one of the stomp boxes it has? (Tube Screamer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdpAop7gp0w
Last edited by GuitarNewbee at Sep 22, 2015,
single coil equiped guitars and light overdrive for amp. tubescreamer thru clean amp setting will most likely get you in the ball park. this type of overdrive is one of the things that modeling amps still have a tough time duplicating.

oh and i really hate that song
Quote by monwobobbo
single coil equiped guitars and light overdrive for amp. tubescreamer thru clean amp setting will most likely get you in the ball park. this type of overdrive is one of the things that modeling amps still have a tough time duplicating.

what about all over but the crying?
Quote by monwobobbo

also, any reason why they're not so good at that? not that i dont believe, you. I do, but i just dont understand why they cant
Quote by GuitarNewbee
also, any reason why they're not so good at that? not that i dont believe, you. I do, but i just dont understand why they cant

modelers just haven't got the programing curve that works for those types of tones down yet. they can kinda get it but it just doesn't sound as close to a tube amp as the models with heavey distortion. just take some time to experiment and i'm sure you can get close enough to get by.

oh sorry just not a georgia satellites fan
might be fuzz? i agree it seems to be single coils.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
might be fuzz? i agree it seems to be single coils.

would you say this is a single coil in the bridge position or the neck position??
bridge i think. it has that brightness that the bridge normally has. that's just the first bit, i didn't listen to the whole thing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Tele, bridge PU, tone rolled off a bit, Brit voiced tube amp. This on-the-edge of breakup is unobtanium for all but the best modeling amps. It is also the place my guitar lives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=83&v=xjkEh0Ou4vM
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
Tele, bridge PU, tone rolled off a bit, Brit voiced tube amp. This on-the-edge of breakup is unobtanium for all but the best modeling amps. It is also the place my guitar lives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=83&v=xjkEh0Ou4vM

just can't get over that tone, would you agree that the overdrive is more of a natural overdrive? the amp overdrives itself, or do you think it uses a slight amount of distortion from a pedal? unfortunately i only have my practice peavey vypyr right now
Quote by GuitarNewbee
just can't get over that tone, would you agree that the overdrive is more of a natural overdrive? the amp overdrives itself, or do you think it uses a slight amount of distortion from a pedal? unfortunately i only have my practice peavey vypyr right now

Might be an OD pedal into tube amp. I'm not sure which amp he uses here but he used to use Hiwatt.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
It's either a strat or a tele (I believe Tele) run into a tube amp just on the edge of breakup (or with an overdrive in front juuuust barely gained).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.