So I got a guitar for my birthday and am so excited. I have been practicing for about a week and a half. I had a hard time figuring out where to start. I found Justin guitar last week and have been following his tutorials. And they are great. I was really having problems with my fat fingers which seems to be a common complaint. When I started learning D chord it was difficult. But every time I pick up the guitar I seem to be better then the last time. Which is great cause I think I am at the point that most people become discouraged and I am not. I also use an app that has games on it that display a chord and when you play it it gives another. The problem is I only want to work on the one chord and not multiple ones yet.

So my question is does anyone know of an app that will listen for one chord and tell you when you are playing it right?

And any other helpful hints would be great!
you need to develop your ears to know when it's right. if you have a vid listen to the chord when it's played. if your doesn't sound like that it' not right. look a week and half in it's likely not going to sound right. guitar takes time, patience and practice.
Playing a chord "correctly" involves more than just the notes - that's the easy bit. The hard part is fretting the notes cleanly and strumming the chord so all the notes ring out - an app can't discern that.

Best thing to do is use something like Justin Guitar and listen to how he plays the chord, then listen to yourself and compare the differences. It should be easy enough to tell if one of the strings isn't fretted properly or is muted, or if you're not picking cleanly.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I would go to www.guitarprinciples.com for starters. The material there is an excellent place to begin learning how to practice and basic physics of the guitar. Lots of free stuff and I would highly recommend getting the DVDs. PlaneTalk by Kirk Lorange is also great intro material for a fairly easy method to improvisation. Those are a couple of places that helped me on my own journey and very wise.

A good deal also depends on where you want to go with guitar, what music you like and other things.
Doing the same thing you are and having the same problem (fat fingers). I don't think I will ever be able to play an A chord..man that is hard.
Spend less time worrying about it and more time just doing it. It will come, just need patience. I see it all the time, new players expecting instant gratification. Sorry but music will give you a fight before you start winning.
***************Sig***************
Taylor 314 & GS Mini & Martin LX1
Quote by Sunfist
Doing the same thing you are and having the same problem (fat fingers). I don't think I will ever be able to play an A chord..man that is hard.

Naw! Keep cracking on it you'll do fine.
Quote by TobusRex
Naw! Keep cracking on it you'll do fine.

Agreed. I used to complain about fat fingers/big hands until I met a guy that had truly huge fingers...and could make a guitar absolutely sing!

He took away my excuses, so I told myself to STFU and practice, and that's made all the difference.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Sunfist

Im new myself, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but i was taught you could play the A chord with just your index finger. I personally play with three fingers but my hands are not that big.

I seen the A chord played that way from a couple resources, 1 was the fender CD that came with my guitar and another was an app i think showing different finger positions on different chords.
Just individually pick strings and if you hear buzz or muted tone press down more firmly. Wait til you learn D/C# thats a b to properly do.
I'm still loving my guitar! I'm still working on d but slowly getting there. I've found the less I think about it the better chord I play. The best thing I did was to get a hanger for it. I grab it for a couple of minutes every day and d d d d d . My biggest problem I see is I have a hard time getting my fingers straight on the strings. I'm sure it will come to me.
straight? i dont think you need to worry about that as much as proper ringing tone. One i have the tone right i just practice setting the chord down with my fingers and dont even hit strings. Over and over and over until memory serves
you really dont even need to think about it just learn the shape and the finger placement. D is a 1,2, 3 chord on the 1,2,3 strings. Pointer on 3, middle on 1st, ring on 2nd, first 2 frets
What I mean by straight is that when I take my fingers off the depression from the lines is at an angle. Which makes it hard not to mute another string.
I been strumming for a year and it gets better Justin guitar was my teacher lol
That's good your starting with his beginner course, stick with it yeah the d is tough
The A IS TOUGHER I could not do it till I got some good calisis on my finger tips
Just follow him, it's all muscle memory in your fingers in 3 months u will be able
Do D CHORD E CHORD AND A no problem and chord changes takes. Long time
Iam practiceing a year and chord changes are still kinda slow

When I first started I though my fingers where to fat it's all bull
Just pratice partice partice, and leave your guiatr on the stand and any free
Time u have pick it up and practice
Last edited by Tazz3 at Sep 27, 2015,
Tazz3 the best thing I did was get a hook for the guitar. I was doing the lessons before I got the hook. Now I do my best to just grab the guitar and go for a bit. With the chords I started out with d for a solid half hour. But that got boring. I've found I'm now just picking up and going at it for 5 minutes. Get it sounding good and walk away. Everytime I grab it it is easier. Now I added A. I start at D and move to A. I am very pleased and can't wait for the next chord.
keep in mind what's below is really meta analysis and you can do whatever you want long-term, but here's my $.02

there tend to be two (main) schools of thought for guitar

1) the "old school" way - no theory, just play and use trial and error
2) a heavy approach towards scales, (what people think are) modes, trying to play fast, etc

on one hand, approach two is more "efficient" if your only goal is to be good at guitar. unfortunately, however, we don't live in a world where people are going to pay to listen to you wank unless you're in the top .01% of guitarists

which is fine if you get into your groove and say, "hey, i like shred guitar, this is my kinda music", but it seems like a backwards approach to me.

my recommendation: find a cheap, used music theory textbook, and a bunch of mp3s/CDs of your favorite bands, and a program called Transcribe!

once you learn your chords and your major and minor scale, you're ready to go. listen to music you like, then use Transcribe to slow it down and try and learn it by ear. it takes time. a lot of time. but if you put a little bit of time into it every day, eventually you'll get your favorite song. then your next song will take half the time, and so on and so forth

this way, you don't just learn "how to play guitar". you learn how to play what you want to play on the guitar. to do it the other way around, you learn to like music you can play. this brings you into a niche you don't necessarily want to get stuck in, cause for me, personally, though it gave me a lot of finger dexterity, it made me come to hate the music i was surrounding myself with and really made me oblivious to what i actually enjoyed through my high school years.

when you can figure stuff out by ear, though, even if it takes a lot of time and picking one note at a time on a piano or a guitar, it'll do you a lot of good, and while it might take 3 years to get good at it, you'll have learned a lot more than just how to play your guitar. you'll learn how to listen

listening is a skill most bedroom guitarists don't learn, and it gives you control not only of what you're doing, but the whole ensemble. it also allows you to break down things outside of your comfort zone and understanding how they work

doing occasional readings from a theory book, namely learning your intervals and how to build chords and progressions, will help you break down what you learn and say "hey, this is pretty easy, i can write my own music like this"

a lot of people in the teaching community will pile on all kinds of stuff for you to learn, 50 different scale shapes and all this, but learning how the notes sound is what matters. nobody's gonna come to your shows to hear how many scales you know - they just wanna hear good, catchy, interesting music

most of this'll prob make no sense since you're still learning your chords, but it's just food for thought as you progress. congratulations on your new hobby - just try not to get overwhelmed and have fun with it
modes are a social construct
Hey guys and girls, I'm trying to learn the chords for Live While We're Young (One Direction). I've seen a couple of video tutorials, and they use power chords. I can't play any of them!!! And these peeps' fingers are long!! For comparison, my middle finger is a little over 3.5 inches long (stubby in my opinion), which means my other 3 fingers are shorter than that (less than 3.5 inches long). Could it be that my guitar is too big? (I practically have to lay an egg to play a C major chord - so you can imagine how much I strain myself to play a power chord!). Someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong!