Just curious to see what other mods people have done to their MIM strats. Here is what I've done so far:

Changed pickguard and volume knobs
Installed brass block in tremolo
Installed Seymour Duncan Hot Rails into bridge position

Results: Brass trem block added a fuller/slightly brighter sound with longer sustain. The Hot Rails bridge replacement is warm and dirty. Great for punk, rock, or 80's metal. Produces a very pretty clean sound when paired with the middle pickup in the #2 position. However, the pickup sounds to hot by itself with clean settings.

Future Mods: SD SSL-1 pups for neck and bridge, new saddles

Anyone have any good MIM strat mods or suggestions to share?
if you put one more 4 wire pickup in it without going ultra technical you can do phase reversal. MIM strats are extremely common so there is a mile long of stuff you can do. I've got all sorts of diagrams on my photobucket I do when i'm bored.

the 7 way mod like david gilmour - you can use the outer two pickups or all 3
a fender TBX tone knob - cuts bass and treble.
the fender greasebucket mod - cuts bass - great for the hot rail
a torres mid scoop / boost to push the pickups harder
killswitches
a piezo acoustic pickup inside the guitar - look up a piezo transducer (ebay for under 1$)
coilsplitting the hot rail
a fender jazz mod - its like you instantly get a tone capacitor fully engaged
copper shielding the strat for more clarity
higher end tuners aren't a bad investment either. you don't need locking but i am a fan of high end tuners.

if you are interested in any of that let me know I've got diagrams on a lot of it, photobucket i post a lot of them too. this is my photobucket. My next strat i want to do a passive version of the DG20 pickguard. Pink floyd fan or not it's a cool concept with the 2 band EQ.
http://s214.photobucket.com/user/xa66/library/?sort=3&page=1
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Sep 22, 2015,
Graphtech Nut and Saddles, CTS pots, locking tuners, Lil '59(n) Invader (b), strap locks, sanded the neck down.
Quote by Tallwood13
if you put one more 4 wire pickup in it without going ultra technical you can do phase reversal. MIM strats are extremely common so there is a mile long of stuff you can do. I've got all sorts of diagrams on my photobucket I do when i'm bored.

the 7 way mod like david gilmour - you can use the outer two pickups or all 3

http://s214.photobucket.com/user/xa66/library/?sort=3&page=1

Do you have pics for the 7 way mod?
ok so really simple I've attached it below as well as an every day application of it. It's an early diagram I need to update as it's a bit sloppy on the wire going to the selectors common but I've put this schematic into at least 5 guitars.

focus on the 2nd pot to see it being applied

Last edited by Tallwood13 at Sep 23, 2015,
You can install a switch or push/pull pot to split the Hot Rails to make it cleaner and brighter sounding when you need it. The Duncan SSL-1s are great Strat pickups and radically different than the Hot Rails. They are clean, clear, lower output, with lots of highs. If you are used to using a Hot Rails, you might have to add more distortion if that is what you are going for.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Not a pretty picture but...

Everything is shielded.
Also Fender Custom Shop Teas Specials, each hooked up to a ON-OFF-ON DPDT (or DP3T switch if you want to be anal about it) switch so I can have any pickup on or off in any configuration, in phase or out of phase.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Sep 25, 2015,